An interwiki link is a link to another community. This link is often to another FANDOM community, although it may also be to any of the sites listed on the interwiki map. Interwiki links are shortcuts that mean you don't have to use the full URL, and they can help simplify the maintenance of links if a community later changes its URL.
Linking to another FANDOM community
- To create an interwiki link from your FANDOM community to another, use the format
[[w:c:wiki-name:pagename]]. For instance, if you wanted to link to the Black Widow page on the Marvel Database, you would use
- If you would like to modify the displayed text, do as you would with any link. Add a '|' after the link, followed by your desired text. For example,
[[w:c:marvel:Black Widow|test]], would appear as test.
- Non-English communities often have a language code prefix. A German community will often have a URL like
de.wiki-name.wikia.com, while Spanish communities come under
es.wiki-name.wikia.com. When you link to one of these communities, simply include the language code prefix. Example:
[[w:c:fr.wiki-name:Page]](note the dot between "fr" and the wiki name).
- You might want to actually click on newly-made interwiki links to make sure your spelling's right. Unlike normal links, interwiki links don't check to see whether the target page exists. So w:c:batman:The Joker looks the same as w:c:batman:Superman needs to stay in Metropolis.
Linking to an external wiki community
- Sites listed in the interwiki map can be linked via
[[prefix:pagename]]. For example,
[[Wikipedia:Jedi]]will be converted to link to the English Wikipedia's "Jedi" article: Wikipedia:Jedi. These interwiki links look like local links.
[[wp:es:India]]will be converted to link to the Spanish Wikipedia's "India" article: Wikipedia:es:India
- Note that the name used in the interwiki link is not always exactly the same as the domain or sub-domain, e.g. MetaWikipedia: vs. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki. FANDOM's interwiki map also supports MetaWikiMedia: and m: for this community.
- Many off-FANDOM MediaWiki help pages are kept on https://mediawiki.org/wiki/, which can be linked to with mw:. Don't confuse this with the MediaWiki: namespace for system messages.
Linking to a FANDOM community from an off-FANDOM community
- You can generally link to any FANDOM community using the syntax:
- For example,
[[Wikia:starwars:Jedi]]from a community outside FANDOM would link to https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi
- Shared help and shared templates are special cases of interwiki links
- Another specialised interwiki link is the interlanguage link, a link between two wikis covering the same topic, but in different languages.
- To request a specific interwiki link for your community, please visit this page.
- MetaWikipedia:Help:Interwiki linking
Further help and feedback
- Browse and search other help pages at Help:Contents
- Check Fandom Community Central for sources of further help and support
- Check Contacting Fandom for how to report any errors or unclear steps in this article
- Learn how to use Fandom in Fandom University: short how-to videos for all levels of experience