- This extension is not normally active but may be available on request.
They're designed using JS and/or CSS snippets located on pages in the MediaWiki namespace. Each gadget is added by writing a new entry to MediaWiki:Gadgets-definition that provides a name and description for the gadget, and a list of the JS and CSS snippets that it uses (see the "How to setup a gadget" section below).
Gadgets use the same principle as MediaWiki:Wikia.js, MediaWiki:Common.css, etc. because they allow scripting or styling over the entire site. Since Gadgets function in this manner (the list that enables them as well as the actual JS and CSS pages), it requires being a wiki admin to manage these, just like the sitewide JS or CSS.
Using gadgets on your community
When your Gadget definitions are set up, the gadgets will appear in the "Gadgets" section of everyone's preferences, so users can choose which gadgets fit their community's needs. An overview of added gadgets can be found on Special:Gadgets, along with links to the respective pages that define them, which allows for better control over the wikis's gadgets.
How to setup a gadget
The Special:Gadgets page allows quick overview and easy management of all your gadgets. It links to every special page that controls all of your gadgets functionality and interface. The headings that appear in your preferences may also be redefined here.
Please note that all Gadget MediaWiki namespace pages must be prefixed with Gadget-, the only exception is where you define them in MediaWiki:Gadgets-definition as displayed in the above example.
== Example-gadgets == * Navigation_popups|popups.js|popups.css * contribsrange|contribsrange.js
The first field is the gadget's internal name, and may only contain letters and numbers in order to function correctly. If the internal name is Navigation_popups, the corresponding MediaWiki namespace page will be MediaWiki:Gadget-Navigation popups. This page allows you to define a description text which will be displayed on the Gadgets section of your preferences.
The second and subsequent fields define the pages that make up the code. In the above example, popups.js and popups.css would be MediaWiki:Gadget-popups.js and MediaWiki:Gadget-popups.css respectively. Like other sitewide pages, Gadgets may only be written using JS and CSS pages.
- See Help:Gadgets/options for more detail on gadget configuration
- Extension:Gadgets - on MediaWiki.org, upon which this page was based
- Help:Extensions - A guide to all the extensions FANDOM offers
Further help and feedback
- Browse and search other help pages at Help:Contents
- Check Fandom Community Central for sources of further help and support
- Check Contacting Fandom for how to report any errors or unclear steps in this article
- Learn how to use Fandom in Fandom University: short how-to videos for all levels of experience