Community Central
Community Central
You must confirm your email if you would like to use this feature.

Email notification (often abbreviated Enotif) is an addition to the MediaWiki software that allows you to receive an email if your talk page is edited, or if a page on your watchlist is edited.

Enotifprefs

Options in user preferences related to Enotif

How do I enable Enotif?

To use Enotif, add an e-mail address in your preferences, confirm that e-mail address, and enable the options you desire in your user preferences.

How many emails will I receive?

That depends on which options you choose. If you select "E-mail me when my user talk page is changed" and/or "Enable e-mail from other users", you will only receive emails when others are trying to contact you.

If you select "E-mail me when a page I'm watching is changed", then the volume of mail depends on how many pages you have on your watchlist, and how active other editors are on your wiki.

You will receive a single e-mail whenever a watched page is edited. You will only be notified once per page, even where multiple changes are made between visits (i.e. you get an email on the first edit by someone else after you viewed the page). You won't be notified of changes you made yourself. You can choose whether you want to be notified of all changes, or only those which are not marked as minor edits.

The email will provide a link to the article, and also a direct link to the difference between the version you last saw and the current version.

Watchlist Digest

You can also choose a weekly digest ("E-mail me a Weekly Watchlist Digest"). This is a weekly email that will inform you of any pages on your watchlist that you haven't visited yet. It's a great reminder for those important pages that slip by on occasion, or if you have a large number of watchlisted pages.

Will my email be made public if I enable this function?

No. If you select "Enable e-mail from other users", other editors will be able to use the "Email user" link on your user pages to contact you. This allows others to send mail to you via a webform, but does not reveal your address to them. If you reply to their email using your email software, however, they will be able to see your address in your reply.

To email another user, go to their user or talk page, and click the "email this user" link in the sidebar. If they have chosen not to receive emails from other users, you will be notified of this. When you send an email, your own email address will be shown to the recipient.

Can I customize the notification email sent out for changes on my wiki?

The text of the notification email can be changed by any admin on the wiki by editing MediaWiki:Enotif body and MediaWiki:Enotif subject in the MediaWiki namespace. Any text added here will override the default email text.

See also