Community Central
Community Central
No edit summary
Line 3: Line 3:

This indicator can have its appearance changed a little if you want to bring attention to specific text or to a specific area when the cursor moves over that text or area.

This indicator can have its appearance changed a little if you want to bring attention to specific text or to a specific area when the cursor moves over that text or area.

== Step by step ==
+
== Step-by-step ==

In order to change the look of the cursor you can style the text with span tags than contain the cursor parameter:

In order to change the look of the cursor you can style the text with span tags than contain the cursor parameter:

Revision as of 07:12, 31 January 2018

A cursor is the pointer that indicates the current position of the mouse (or other device) on the screen.

Step-by-step

style="cursor: cursor-style;"

So, for example:

<span style="cursor: help;">Hover over me to see the cursor!</span>

Results in:

Hover over me to see the cursor!

Additional styles

Cursor style Results in
auto
text
Hover over me to see the cursor.
crosshair Hover over me to see the cursor.
move Hover over me to see the cursor.
pointer Hover over me to see the cursor.
progress Hover over me to see the cursor.
wait Hover over me to see the cursor.
Re-size arrows
e-resize
w-resize
Hover over me to see the east ⇥ cursor.
Hover over me to see the west ⇤ cursor.
n-resize
s-resize
Hover over me to see the north ↑ cursor.
Hover over me to see the south ↓ cursor.
ne-resize
sw-resize
Hover over me to see the north-east ↗ corner cursor.
Hover over me to see the south-west ↙ corner cursor.
nw-resize
se-resize
Hover over me to see the north-west ⇱ corner cursor.
Hover over me to see the south-east ⇲ corner cursor.

It is generally best to stick to these standard pointers, although it is possible to add custom cursors via more advanced CSS. If you do this, be sure to choose carefully and check that it is easy for people to see precisely what the custom cursor is pointing at.

See also

Further help and feedback