Community messages is a feature that allows admins to highlight things that are important for the local community to know about. For example, this space can be used to organize a project, show off new pages, or highlight an ongoing discussion.
Please note that the Announcements tool can reach more users than Community messages, and may be a better way to notify your community about something.
Step by step
- The community message is located on the Wiki Activity page
- If you are an admin, you can change it by clicking on edit message. This will bring you to MediaWiki:Community-corner—the page you need to edit. After publishing the edit, your changes will appear immediately.
- Users who are active on the community in the hours after Community Corner is changed will receive a notification about the change, similar to the notification for talk page messages. These will disappear after 24 hours if not dismissed by the user.
- Edits to community messages that are flagged as "minor" will not trigger notifications.
- If you would like to change the notification message itself you should edit MediaWiki:Communitymessages-notice-msg before publishing the related edit to Community Corner. This allows you to tailor your wiki's notification message to your community's topic.
- Don't go crazy. Simpler messages are often easier to understand.
- Learn about notifications
- Learn about wiki activity
- Learn how to edit your toolbar
- Learn how to use your Admin Dashboard
Further help and feedback
- Browse and search other help pages at Help:Contents
- Check Fandom Community Central for sources of further help and support
- Check Contacting Fandom for how to report any errors or unclear steps in this article
- Learn how to use Fandom in Fandom University: short how-to videos for all levels of experience