Fandom blogs are articles written by one person that can be commented on and organized into a listing like a typical blog.
Why create blogs?
Unlike typical articles, blogs are intended to be compositions written by individual users instead of collaboratively written pieces of content. The idea is to give people a different way to express themselves in their community.
Some examples of why a user would write a blog article instead of a traditional wiki article are to write:
- Fan fiction or original work on an otherwise canon community
- Op-eds or tell personal stories
- Articles that pose questions and solicit responses
- Reviews, suggestions or recommendations
Of course, it's entirely up to each community to decide how blogs get used and which of these uses are allowed locally.
Step by step
Creating a blog post
- To create a new blog post, go to the "Blog" tab on your user profile, Blog:Recent posts, or a different blog listing page.
- Click the "Create Blog Post" button at the top of this tab. This will open an editing screen.
- Create your blog post as though you were creating any other page. The only difference is that this one will be attributed entirely to you.
- Decide if you want to allow comments by checking or unchecking the "Commenting" checkbox above the edit summary.
- Click "Preview" to review your work.
- Click "Publish" to share your blog post with the rest of your community.
- Return to the "Blog" tab on your profile to see a list of all of your blog posts.
Leaving a comment
- When viewing a blog post, scroll down to the area just below the blog post, and click in the "Add a comment about..." box.
- Enter your message in the area where it says "Share your thoughts." Use the toolbar buttons to format your message. Click on the "T >" button to see the text formatting options.
- When adding a link, the full URL is required. For example "community.fandom.com/wiki/Help:Templates", not Help:Templates".
- To add an image, you must select one from your computer.
- Click "Post" to add your comment to the page.
- Edit rights
- A blog post can be edited by the author of the post or an admin on the wiki. Other users do not have access to edit blog posts.
- Deleting comments
- Admins can delete comments using a delete link, shown next to the comment's timestamp. In addition, when a blog post is deleted, all associated comments will be deleted.
- Blog listing pages
- These allow you to quickly create a page containing a list of blog posts by category. You can create a new blog listing at Special:CreateBlogListingPage.
- Note that blog listings do not update immediately upon creation of a new blog post. You can wait for the cache to clear (a couple of hours), or add
?action=purgeto the URL of the listing page.
- Blog:Recent posts exists on all wikis with blog posts enabled, listing all the recent blog posts on the wiki.
- Embedded bloglists
- A tag is available to allow you to embed a list of blogs within a normal article. There are a number of parameters you can define to format the embedded list to fit within different content pages - e.g. the main page, the community portal, a contest page, etc. - and it is extremely customizable. For more information on how to use this, see Help:Blogs/Bloglist.