Community Central
Community Central
Forums: Index Support Requests What is this function?
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4382 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

So I've come accross a few fuctions that I can get my head around them and I can't find them by googling.

[[Title::{{{title}}}]] and

<ref></ref> and [[Gender::{{{sex|}}}]]

What does the double colon in general mean?

thanks in advance

Dem0n Hunter 09:32, April 20, 2012 (UTC)

Those are used in templates. For example, if [[File:{{imagename}}]] is included in a template, then it means that you can insert {{templatename|filename}} to insert a picture Sam Wang 09:50, April 20, 2012 (UTC)
No no I mean the double colon part. Sorry if it was vague but I asked at the end. and do you know what <ref> is? I googled and it didn't find anything Dem0n Hunter 09:56, April 20, 2012 (UTC)
I'm not really sure of the double colon (it might be just a page name with two colons). For the <ref> & </ref> tags, they mean "reference" Sam Wang 11:30, April 20, 2012 (UTC)
Yea, what confuses me is that I know we have [[File:filename]] for images but I don't know where [[Title::]] or [[Gender::]] came from which is weird.Dem0n Hunter 12:40, April 20, 2012 (UTC)

(Reset indent) Double colons are often used with various features of the Semantic MediaWiki extension. If you give a link to where you've seen them, I could tell you if it's indeed SMW that utilizes them there. Sovq 14:33, April 20, 2012 (UTC)

That looks like code for a semantic template design. In SMW-wikis, [[Gender::{{{sex|}}}]] means that, for a specific page that uses our template, the Attribute:Gender is set with whatever is given with the "sex" parameter of the template call. Read up more on smw:Help:Semantic templates.--PedroM 17:13, April 20, 2012 (UTC)