Community Central
Community Central
Forums: Index Community Central Forum Tabber with infoboxes
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4699 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

I need help with making tabs for infoboxes. I want it to be like the two examples below:

I already know how to make different tabs for different images but I don't how to make different tabs for different infoboxes. I tried viewing the coding for it on Kingdom Hearts Wiki (the site the examples are from) but it only confused me. Help, please?

Here's an example of one of my infoboxes: InfoCharacter template from VG Wiki

--iSodium, VG Wiki Creator (Talk) 23:27, June 6, 2011 (UTC)

The simple way is to do:
<div style="float: right; width:45%"><tabber>
First tab = 
Everything that's between the includeonly tags in your template here, table width changed from 45% to 100%
|-|
Second tab = 
Second infobox template code here
|-|
Third tab = 
Third infobox template code here
</tabber></div>
and that will create the same results with a FIXED number of tabs. However, the Kingdom Hearts wiki is using div blocks for every tab and the tabber itself. I assume it's because they wanted to allow parser functions within the tabber and thus make some tabs optional, depending if some parameters are provided. If you also want some tabs appear or not depending on various provided parameters leave a shout here, and I'll try to explain how it's done. It would be easier to show an example, but for that I would need to know which infobox templates you want to include. Sovq 08:07, June 7, 2011 (UTC)
That code is for the template itself, right? Not for the page calling the template?
 Nidek   (Talk) [[Special:Contributions/Nidek| Special:Editcount/Nidek edits made ]] 14:26, June 7, 2011 (UTC)
Yes. Sovq 16:09, June 7, 2011 (UTC)

I would like to know how to do them so that they're optional like Kingdom Hearts Wiki, please. By the way, thanks for the help so far.
--iSodium, VG Wiki Creator (Talk) 19:25, June 7, 2011 (UTC)

In that case it would be helpful if you said which templates you want on each tab. It will be easier for me to show an example of how it's done, rather than just explain it theoretically. Sovq 19:33, June 7, 2011 (UTC)

I would like my InfoCharacter template for the first tab (title the tab "Profile") and InfoStat template under the second tab (titled "Stats").
--iSodium, VG Wiki Creator (Talk) 01:36, June 8, 2011 (UTC)

When going through the code of the template on the Kingdom Hearts wiki, I noticed that they aren't using the default tabber script. I found doing changes to it unnecessary, that's why instead of using the same solution they are using I made my own version with a working parser function which will hide the second tab if none of it's parameters are provided. So basically the same result without the use of div blocks. The code for the template is in my sandbox and is ready to use. Remember to add the includeonly tags, categories and documentation for it and obviously copy the code to a proper namespace. Examples of how it works can be found on my user page. Should the template show bugs in some articles, let me know - I wasn't able to test it thoroughly enough. Sovq 10:53, June 8, 2011 (UTC)
Thank you for all your help. I will be sure to test it soon.
iSodium, VG Wiki Creator (Talk) 11:06, June 8, 2011 (UTC)
Sovq, there is an extra curly bracket on your sandbox page under the Profile. You put three brackets for ! template instead of two.  Finchelfanno1  (talk)  11:20 am,Jun/8/11 
Actually it's meant to be that way - it's a workaround for the beginning of a table (the usual {|). The regular markup can't be used there. Sovq 11:31, June 8, 2011 (UTC)
Oh, yeah I forgot that one cannot pass parameters and use tabber by using "|". Sorry.  Finchelfanno1  (talk)  11:42 am,Jun/8/11