Community Central
Community Central
No edit summary
No edit summary
Line 12: Line 12:

:Just glancing at the history links in Wikipedia articles they seem to be based on ids and not date/time ranges, so it would seem to be difficult to make a dated back link without some function to encode a specified page URL and date/time into the proper id. However, I've haven't put much time into investigating a solution, so maybe it's possible. --&nbsp;[[User:Fandyllic|<span style="border-bottom:1px dotted; cursor:help;" title="WoWWiki Admin">Fandyllic</span>]]<small> ([[User talk:Fandyllic|talk]] &middot; [[Special:Contributions/Fandyllic|contr]])</small> 5:41 AM PST 3 Apr 2010

:Just glancing at the history links in Wikipedia articles they seem to be based on ids and not date/time ranges, so it would seem to be difficult to make a dated back link without some function to encode a specified page URL and date/time into the proper id. However, I've haven't put much time into investigating a solution, so maybe it's possible. --&nbsp;[[User:Fandyllic|<span style="border-bottom:1px dotted; cursor:help;" title="WoWWiki Admin">Fandyllic</span>]]<small> ([[User talk:Fandyllic|talk]] &middot; [[Special:Contributions/Fandyllic|contr]])</small> 5:41 AM PST 3 Apr 2010
  +
  +
: <pre>... This page uses [[w:Wikia:Licensing|Creative Commons Licensed]] content from [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title={{urlencode:{{{1|{{FULLPAGENAME}}}}}}}{{#if:{{{2|{{{oldid|}}}}}}|&oldid={{{2|{{{oldid}}}}}}}} Wikipedia] ([http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title={{urlencode:{{{1|{{FULLPAGENAME}}}}}}}&action=history view authors)]. ...</pre>
  +
: How 'bout this? Just fill in the oldid. –[[User:koisuru|<span style="color:darkviolet">koisuru</span>]]&nbsp;([[User talk:koisuru|<span style="color:royalblue">talk</span>]]) 05:53, April 6, 2010 (UTC)

Revision as of 05:53, 6 April 2010

Forums: Index Community Central Forum Suggested improvements to the wikipedia template
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 5127 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

I'd like to improve the {{Wikipedia}} template used to provide a backlink to pages from wikipedia.

1. have a date parameter in it (like a lot of the wikipedia maintenance templates do) so it is easier to see how old the version incorporated into wikia is.
  2. have aback link that goes to the wikipedia page (as was) at the date of import.

I'm not an expert at conditional wiki coding, so a) has any body already created a similar template or know of one i could adapt, to add the date or history backlink function. b) Could one of the coding experts create an improved version, or wiki code snipet to add to achieve this ?

I Think an improved version would be useful to other wikia wikis and should be added to the starter wiki. As i notice a lot of small / new wikis fail to credit sources and add copyright tags to images, but there have also been some discussions on wikia (canot remember just were i read it) abut including the entire page history from wikipedia on import of pages. As i understand it the {{Wikipedia}} template satisfies the {{Cc-by-sa}} attribution of source requirements of the license, but I think linking back to the actual date would be much better. - BulldozerD11 19:57, March 31, 2010 (UTC)

Just glancing at the history links in Wikipedia articles they seem to be based on ids and not date/time ranges, so it would seem to be difficult to make a dated back link without some function to encode a specified page URL and date/time into the proper id. However, I've haven't put much time into investigating a solution, so maybe it's possible. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 5:41 AM PST 3 Apr 2010
... This page uses [[w:Wikia:Licensing|Creative Commons Licensed]] content from [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title={{urlencode:{{{1|{{FULLPAGENAME}}}}}}}{{#if:{{{2|{{{oldid|}}}}}}|&oldid={{{2|{{{oldid}}}}}}}} Wikipedia] ([http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title={{urlencode:{{{1|{{FULLPAGENAME}}}}}}}&action=history view authors)]. ...
How 'bout this? Just fill in the oldid. –koisuru (talk) 05:53, April 6, 2010 (UTC)