Community Central
Community Central
m (Removing redlinks.)
Tag: apiedit

Line 11: Line 11:

So, let's say that you create page X, and you want it to appear in Category:Y. All you need to do is add somewhere (pref. at the bottom of the page) <nowiki>[[Category:Y]]</nowiki> and that's done. If the category does not excist, it'll show up as a red link. If it excists, it shows up as a blue link. You can click it and categorize this category, Y, into another category, say, category Z, by typing in the Category:Y page <nowiki>[[Category:Z]]</nowiki> and that's done. :)

So, let's say that you create page X, and you want it to appear in Category:Y. All you need to do is add somewhere (pref. at the bottom of the page) <nowiki>[[Category:Y]]</nowiki> and that's done. If the category does not excist, it'll show up as a red link. If it excists, it shows up as a blue link. You can click it and categorize this category, Y, into another category, say, category Z, by typing in the Category:Y page <nowiki>[[Category:Z]]</nowiki> and that's done. :)

For example, [[Prison Break]] Wiki has Category:Forum, which has two subcategories and the Category:Forum itself is a subcategory of Category:Prison Break Wiki, which is the top-level category. :)
+
For example, Prison Break Wiki has Category:Forum, which has two subcategories and the Category:Forum itself is a subcategory of Category:Prison Break Wiki, which is the top-level category. :)

If this was too confusing, feel free to drop me a line and I'll try to help you on your wiki. --[[User:Jack Phoenix|Jack Phoenix]] <sub>([[User talk:Jack Phoenix|Contact]])</sub> 18:06, 26 March 2007 (UTC)

If this was too confusing, feel free to drop me a line and I'll try to help you on your wiki. --[[User:Jack Phoenix|Jack Phoenix]] <sub>([[User talk:Jack Phoenix|Contact]])</sub> 18:06, 26 March 2007 (UTC)

Latest revision as of 16:36, 23 May 2016

Forums: Index Help desk Stupid question: How to add a subcategory?
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 2886 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

How do I add an article to a subcategory listing? I know, Stupid Question. Sundogs 17:22, 26 March 2007 (UTC)

To add an article to a subcategory place a internal link to that category in the article (p.e. [[Category:Some category]]), usually at the bottom of the page. —This unsigned comment is by Ciencia Al Poder (wallcontribs). Please sign your comments by adding "~~~~" in the source editor.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I'm trying to help somehow. :)

So, let's say that you create page X, and you want it to appear in Category:Y. All you need to do is add somewhere (pref. at the bottom of the page) [[Category:Y]] and that's done. If the category does not excist, it'll show up as a red link. If it excists, it shows up as a blue link. You can click it and categorize this category, Y, into another category, say, category Z, by typing in the Category:Y page [[Category:Z]] and that's done. :)

For example, Prison Break Wiki has Category:Forum, which has two subcategories and the Category:Forum itself is a subcategory of Category:Prison Break Wiki, which is the top-level category. :)

If this was too confusing, feel free to drop me a line and I'll try to help you on your wiki. --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 18:06, 26 March 2007 (UTC)

an answer

Taking another stab at an answer...
There is no such thing as a sub-category tag. A category is a sub-category of another when it is put into the larger category. For instance, if you had the categories Animimals, Dogs, Cats and German Shepherds. On the category pages for Dogs and Cats, you would enter [[Category:Animals]]. On the category page for German Shepherds, you would enter a similar category tag for Dogs. Now German Shepherds are a sub-category of Dogs, which in turn is a sub-category of Animals. (You could also put German Sheperds' category within Animals, but that is probably not a good idea. Categories work better with a simple tree structure.)
--&#151; CocoaZen my guestbook 18:21, 26 March 2007 (UTC)

Hope that helps. --&#151; CocoaZen my guestbook 18:21, 26 March 2007 (UTC)

More Info

This is what I am talking about and it was addressed a little bit earlier and still confused. In my wikia, there is many categories listed. Lets use Browse catergory When I clicked on it, there are subcategories listed such as Forums, Maintenance, and Terminology categories listed, and then I clicked on Maintenance category link. Now I want to know how to add Maintenance Templates (which is in the Article Section), to the Subcategory Section in Maintenance Category. Is it possible to do this? Sundogs 18:48, 26 March 2007 (UTC)

It's not possible to add an article into a "subcategory section" of a category. --Ciencia Al Podertalk-@WikiDex 18:53, 26 March 2007 (UTC)