Community Central
Community Central
No edit summary
(Ouch)
Line 11: Line 11:

::We are working on a solution that will allow us to define an "umbrella project" (to which a new wiki should belong to) directly on wiki creation. But for already existing wikis we have to do this manually atm. Please also note that not all wikis of a group always use simple language code subdomains such as it is the case for christianmusic.wikia, but often use completely different names, see e.g. [[Photography]], [[AIDS]] or [[Witcher]] :-) --[[User:Rieke Hain|rieke]]<staff /> 02:34, 5 December 2007 (UTC)

::We are working on a solution that will allow us to define an "umbrella project" (to which a new wiki should belong to) directly on wiki creation. But for already existing wikis we have to do this manually atm. Please also note that not all wikis of a group always use simple language code subdomains such as it is the case for christianmusic.wikia, but often use completely different names, see e.g. [[Photography]], [[AIDS]] or [[Witcher]] :-) --[[User:Rieke Hain|rieke]]<staff /> 02:34, 5 December 2007 (UTC)
  +
Ouch. At least it is improving. Is the problem with different names for different translations still spreading (happening with new translations) or is it only for older wikis? <!--[[User:Where/sigContract]];Will Pittenger-->[[User:Will Pittenger|Will]] <small>([[User talk:Will Pittenger|Talk]] - [[Special:Contributions/Will Pittenger|contribs]])</small><!--ESC:Will Pittenger--> 05:15, 5 December 2007 (UTC)

Revision as of 05:15, 5 December 2007

Forums: Index Help desk Someone appears to have a Chinese version of my wiki. How do I interlink between the wikis?
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 5980 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

For the homepage, [[zh-tw:ChristianMusic:]] doesn't seem to work. Nor does [[zh-tw:]]. I tried to link to my English user page on a Chinese talkpage, but [[en:User:Will Pittenger]] didn't work. Will (Talk - contribs)

These need to be enabled by staff. I'll send one of them in your direction. :) -- Manticore (talk) 02:54, 4 December 2007 (UTC)

Personally, I am upset that no one told me there was a Chinese version out there. A staff member should have told me and enabled the interwiki link. As is, I went ahead added links. Will (Talk - contribs) 07:28, 4 December 2007 (UTC)

Interlanguage links isn't a common thing that's asked for. Most Wikia wiki of various languages don't have any actual connection to the other language versions of the wiki and therefore the interlanguage links are useless most of the time. If you need some somewhere, just ask for it. Creating them from startup doesn't work out because the staff would manually half to check for other language versions of the wiki, cause the system has know way to automatically know what wiki are other language versions of others. ~NOTASTAFF Daniel Friesen (DanTMan, Nadir Seen Fire) (talk) (tricks) (current topic) Dec 4, 2007 @ 07:44 (UTC)

The interlanguage links have been added now. --rieke 19:11, 4 December 2007 (UTC)

I still don't understand why a bot can't search a database looking for new matches of wikis using the same InterWiki code (in my case, "ChristianMusic:"). Such a bot could add the interlanguage links to the wikis' homepage and notify the users of that wiki via the wikis' talkpage for the homepage. Will (Talk - contribs) 02:09, 5 December 2007 (UTC)
We are working on a solution that will allow us to define an "umbrella project" (to which a new wiki should belong to) directly on wiki creation. But for already existing wikis we have to do this manually atm. Please also note that not all wikis of a group always use simple language code subdomains such as it is the case for christianmusic.wikia, but often use completely different names, see e.g. Photography, AIDS or Witcher :-) --rieke 02:34, 5 December 2007 (UTC)

Ouch. At least it is improving. Is the problem with different names for different translations still spreading (happening with new translations) or is it only for older wikis? Will (Talk - contribs) 05:15, 5 December 2007 (UTC)