Community Central
Register
Community Central
m (DONE)
No edit summary
Line 65: Line 65:

:::::::: Thanks I dident realise they were all in one image. Sorry I had forgotten to switch on brain as to were the image was located !!! - spending too much time online and not enough sleeping - [[User:BulldozerD11|BulldozerD11]] 22:54, May 19, 2010 (UTC)

:::::::: Thanks I dident realise they were all in one image. Sorry I had forgotten to switch on brain as to were the image was located !!! - spending too much time online and not enough sleeping - [[User:BulldozerD11|BulldozerD11]] 22:54, May 19, 2010 (UTC)
  +
  +
:::::::I uploaded the stars version of Monaco-sprite.png to Community wikia {[[:File:Monaco-sprite-stars.png]] or [http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100526215659/central/images/0/09/Monaco-sprite-stars.png Monaco-sprite-stars.png], since I got a weird file download popup from the http://trac.wikia-code.com version. --&nbsp;[[User:Fandyllic|<span style="border-bottom:1px dotted; cursor:help;" title="Former WoWWiki Admin">Fandyllic</span>]]<small> ([[User talk:Fandyllic|talk]] &middot; [[Special:Contributions/Fandyllic|contr]])</small> 3:00 PM PST 26 May 2010

== Watchlist ==

== Watchlist ==

Revision as of 22:00, 26 May 2010

Forums: Index Community Central Forum Rating Stars are now Rating Hearts
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 5054 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

I liked the stars better. -- LordTBT Talk! 17:43, April 28, 2010 (UTC)

Agree with you LordTBT, Stars were better than the Grey/Pink heart that had appeared on my blog page earlier today. perhaps it should be a individual wiki selectable option then each community can decide which shape to use, as hearts may appeal to some wikis but others like me will definitively not want them.
Any body know how to turn them OFF permanently ? - BulldozerD11 18:56, April 28, 2010 (UTC)

I'm with you here, hearts suck, gimme back my stars. --Light Daxter | Talk 19:25, April 28, 2010 (UTC)

Please, anybody knows how can I change them with a Starfleet logo for our Star Trek wikia?? Gifhtalk28.04.2010 22:28 (UTC)
I do not want to love a page. I want to rate it! Sorry, had to say that. On a serious note, I prefer the stars. ☆The Solar Dragon (Talk)☆ 20:54, April 28, 2010 (UTC)
I also preferred the stars. Not to be sexist, but the hearts seem a bit "girlish". They wouldn't go well on a wiki about, let's say, sport. The star is a more neutral option, in my opinion. I think this change was made to try and limit confusion with the new "Watch" icon, which is a star. Chicken7 >talk 11:59, April 29, 2010 (UTC)
I also like the stars for rating, and the old binoculars for watchlist, since I would associate stars with something like bookmarks/favorites, not what the watchlist is for. --Ciencia Al Poder (talk) -WikiDex 18:15, April 29, 2010 (UTC)
I think the "Watch" icon would be better if it was an eye and not a star....And let the stars as rating...DanielHasan 16:28, May 3, 2010 (UTC)
The hearts are horrible. First of all, unlike the stars, they seem to stick together, making the ratings look somewhat strange. Second, hearts make no sense as an icon for rating compared to stars. Whose idea was this? C Teng(talk) 00:07, April 30, 2010 (UTC)
I vote to remove those hearts as well, hate them ~~Gin-san (Talk) 10:48, April 30, 2010 (UTC)
I was prefering the stars too. There could be a way to personalise the icon use just like we do with the search and others icons. That would be cool. — TulipVorlax 21:18, April 30, 2010 (UTC)
I think it is possible to change the icons... It would be a bit complicated, but I am pretty sure that you would just need to create a modified version of this file, replacing the icons with the custom ones you want to use, and then put the following into your site Monaco.css:
.sprite,.sprite-small{
     background-image:url('url source of the modified icons image')
}
~Gardimuer 04:44, May 1, 2010 (UTC)
You can find here the old icons sprite. But maintaining a separate image than wikia would be problematic every time Wikia adds/changes the sprites on the image, because they won't be automatically updated. --Ciencia Al Poder (talk) -WikiDex 08:30, May 1, 2010 (UTC)

So given we've had a good week and a half of totally negative feedback, what's being done about this? -- LordTBT Talk! 04:19, May 9, 2010 (UTC)
Of course, nothing is being done about this. Star is now the icon for watch/follow. Wikia Won't change this. And because stars are now placed there, Wikia won't change the hearts to stars again. You can change that yourself with this CSS code:
.star-rating, .star-rating a:hover, .star-rating .current-rating {
	background-image: url(http://trac.wikia-code.com/export/19974/wikia/trunk/skins/monaco/images/monaco-sprite.png)
}
This code won't affect the other sprites, so you can use it safely without worying about wikia updates to the sprite affecting other icons. Better if you upload the old sprite image to your own wikia for better caching. --Ciencia Al Poder (talk) -WikiDex 08:22, May 9, 2010 (UTC)
Well, I'd like more of an explanation on the purpose of acquiring "trackable proof to show the other teams that we've gotten X complaints about a feature and it needs to be changed" then if it's not going to be enforced/implemented. Every comment on this has been a complaint. There's more than enough 'trackable proof', and as such, I await the change. -- LordTBT Talk! 06:34, May 10, 2010 (UTC)
Thanks for that bit code "Ciencia Al Poder" I have now got rid of the Stupid Hearts Idea that was forced on us by Wikia's ill considered change. (can we next restore the binoculars icon & Watchlist and get rid of 'following' (stalking feature) please) ? - BulldozerD11 16:56, May 18, 2010 (UTC)
Yes. Put the following code (again, upload the image to your wiki and replace that image URL with the image uploaded to the wiki):
#control_watch img.sprite {
	background-image: url(http://trac.wikia-code.com/export/19974/wikia/trunk/skins/monaco/images/monaco-sprite.png)
}
--Ciencia Al Poder (talk) -WikiDex 18:14, May 19, 2010 (UTC)
Thanks Ciencia al poder, Ill try it latter. But please explain how come the URL is the same as previoius example (my undersanding of css is miminal) BTW Were do i find the image (s) to copy to my wiki ? - BulldozerD11 20:22, May 19, 2010 (UTC)
If you follow the image location [1] you'll see that it cotains both images but in different locations. To upload to your wiki, save it first to your hard disk and then upload it to the wiki. Then modify the CSS code so the image is referenced to the direct link of the image to your wiki (something like http://images1.wikia-nocookie.net/ ... ). --Ciencia Al Poder (talk) -WikiDex 20:56, May 19, 2010 (UTC)
Thanks I dident realise they were all in one image. Sorry I had forgotten to switch on brain as to were the image was located !!! - spending too much time online and not enough sleeping - BulldozerD11 22:54, May 19, 2010 (UTC)
I uploaded the stars version of Monaco-sprite.png to Community wikia {File:Monaco-sprite-stars.png or Monaco-sprite-stars.png, since I got a weird file download popup from the http://trac.wikia-code.com version. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 3:00 PM PST 26 May 2010

Watchlist

Once again, hearts are a REALLY bad idea and probably don't work too well along with the majority of wikis, especially the gaming section. Using an eye or binoculars for the Watchlist is far better while stars worked well for ratings, although I guess the watchlist was changed to a star since people are used to stars symbolizing bookmarks or "favourites" in browsers. (Crynsos Talk 20:16, May 10, 2010 (UTC)

are 'thumbs-up' images that hard for Wikia to implement? How about 'OK' sign with fore-finger touching thumb, and remaining fingers pointing up? ~~Gin-san (Talk) 13:05, May 12, 2010 (UTC)
That hand gesture doesn't mean the same thing in all cultures. --Tetrap 01:12, May 14, 2010 (UTC)
Then a plus sign (+) may be a good replacement instead. (Crynsos Talk 20:04, May 14, 2010 (UTC)
Ever wondered why the "Red Cross" has (more than) three emblems, including a crescent and crystal? Not really neutral either, a 'plus sign' :D I guess hearts (or customizable images, which is the case actually) are the best option. I didn't read any good reasons why those wouldn't suffice except for that they're not 'manly' enough. -BramTalk/IGW 17:42, May 18, 2010 (UTC)
a pair of clapping hands image then ... ? ~~Gin-san (Talk) 12:39, May 19, 2010 (UTC)
I don't see the point of discussing here what other image would fit better for the watch/follow action. The main point of this forum topic was about restoring the old stars for ratings. If you want to change the stars to anything else (or even restore the binoculars icon) see my last CSS code above and apply it to your wiki, discussing with your community what image they want to put there, because you can change the image to whatever you want. People that didn't accepted the change from binoculars to a star probably won't accept another change unless they return the binoculars. --Ciencia Al Poder (talk) -WikiDex 18:14, May 19, 2010 (UTC)
^the point is to get Wikia to look into deploying it Wikia-wide, not just on individual wikis. Most people have been griping about what they don't like, but not giving (constructive?) alternatives to explore that can benefit the whole community at large ~~Gin-san (Talk) 12:41, May 20, 2010 (UTC)

NONE

My wiki has rating stars debateyourcause.wikia.com/
Smiley
JACUNN 09:04, May 18, 2010 (UTC)

Yes. Your Wiki also has the code found above. A F K sig 2 A F K When Needed 21:40, May 21, 2010 (UTC)

yes but i didnt know of the fourm when i added the code to my wiki