Community Central
Register
Community Central
No edit summary
No edit summary

(2 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 47: Line 47:

::::: Done. -- [[User:Ppiotr|Nef]] <staff /> ([[User talk:Ppiotr|talk]]) 17:04, 10 April 2008 (UTC)

::::: Done. -- [[User:Ppiotr|Nef]] <staff /> ([[User talk:Ppiotr|talk]]) 17:04, 10 April 2008 (UTC)
  +
  +
:::::: Yepee! It's alive! Thanks! --[[User:Darhark|Darhark]] 05:07, 14 April 2008 (UTC)

:[[User:Tjoneslo|Tjoneslo]], I tried labeled section transclusion and it looks like it works, but the generated page lists 11 items when it should be listing 21. [http://nilgiri.wikia.com/wiki/Head_equipment%28all%29 Here's] the page with 11 entries and [http://nilgiri.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Head_equipment here's] the category with 21 entries. Do you know why this is happening and how I can make it display all entries? Thanks.

:[[User:Tjoneslo|Tjoneslo]], I tried labeled section transclusion and it looks like it works, but the generated page lists 11 items when it should be listing 21. [http://nilgiri.wikia.com/wiki/Head_equipment%28all%29 Here's] the page with 11 entries and [http://nilgiri.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Head_equipment here's] the category with 21 entries. Do you know why this is happening and how I can make it display all entries? Thanks.
Line 57: Line 59:

::I don't think it's my cache but something on the server's side. I created a new DPL page, initially with one entry. Then I added more entries. Then I opened another browser that has never seen the page, and it showed only the one entry, so it seems like there's a lag for when DPL updates. If it's supposed to happen it's not a problem for me, but can anyone confirm that this is supposed to happen?

::I don't think it's my cache but something on the server's side. I created a new DPL page, initially with one entry. Then I added more entries. Then I opened another browser that has never seen the page, and it showed only the one entry, so it seems like there's a lag for when DPL updates. If it's supposed to happen it's not a problem for me, but can anyone confirm that this is supposed to happen?

::-[[User:Daarklord|Daarklord]] 20:17, 12 April 2008 (UTC)

::-[[User:Daarklord|Daarklord]] 20:17, 12 April 2008 (UTC)
  +
  +
:::I'm not completly sure how DPL works in terms of caching but i know that often when i work with complicated templates, i have to add <nowiki>?action=purge</nowiki> at the end of the URL of the page for it to update properly.
  +
:::You see, there's is a cache of web page on our computer but there's also a cache on the server. And pages are put in a queue to be treated one by one by the sofware. Adding that thing to the URL tell it to process that page right away. — [[User:TulipVorlax|Tulip]][[User talk:TulipVorlax|Vorlax]] 21:16, 12 April 2008 (UTC)
  +
::::You are right; it might be because of an intermediary cache. Also thanks for telling me about the queue in the software. I now have all the answers I need for this question. Thank you all who replied. - [[User:Daarklord|Daarklord]] 08:30, 16 April 2008 (UTC)

Latest revision as of 08:30, 16 April 2008

Forums: Index Help desk Question: Compiling all articles in a category
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 5825 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

I have a category with a lot of articles containing some data. I would like to create a page that takes the text in all those articles and put them in one big article. Preferably in an automated way. I want to do this so that users can use the browser's search function to search for text in those articles, essentially giving them a way to browse through articles to find specific data.

For example, if I had a category with the following articles:

Article A
  Data 1
  Data 2
Article B
  Data 3
  Data 4

I want to make this:

Compiled Article

Article A
    Data 1
    Data 2

Article B
    Data 3
    Data 4

Is there way to do this easily and automatically? Daarklord 23:11, 6 April 2008 (UTC)

Yes. Use the Dynamic Page List extension (and the Manual) which has been installed on the server. In order to do this you will need to read and understand the Include parameter to the DPL functionality.
The short answer is you will need to go into Article A and Article B and mark the Data you want included, either by including it in a template, or by marking it with a <section begin=<name> /> and <section end=<name> /> as described in the Extension:Labeled Section Transclusion documentation.
If you would like to see an example, I'll point you at the Traveller Wiki Race Summary. Most of this page is entirely generated using the DPL, and should give you a staring point.
If you have questions, drop a note on the forum on the Traveller wiki, or on my talk page over there. Tjoneslo 18:26, 7 April 2008 (UTC)
I tried making a page with <DPL> tags but the wiki doesn't recognize them. Should I download the source and add to to my wiki? But you said the DPL extension has been installed on the server already so I didn't think I would need to. Daarklord 02:21, 8 April 2008 (UTC)
DPL is installed but not enabled by default. Flipped the switch for your wiki, have fun with DPL. -- Nef (talk) 02:47, 8 April 2008 (UTC)
oh... well... that's the thing we need. I was just working on a feature and realised it cannot be done without DPL, and that's critical thing for us, at least when we'll grow up a little. Please turn it on for ru.dreams, or we are doomed )) --Darhark 10:58, 10 April 2008 (UTC)
Done. -- Nef (talk) 17:04, 10 April 2008 (UTC)
Yepee! It's alive! Thanks! --Darhark 05:07, 14 April 2008 (UTC)
Tjoneslo, I tried labeled section transclusion and it looks like it works, but the generated page lists 11 items when it should be listing 21. Here's the page with 11 entries and here's the category with 21 entries. Do you know why this is happening and how I can make it display all entries? Thanks.
Thank you Nef for enabling DPL for me.
-Daarklord 19:47, 12 April 2008 (UTC)
I just had to clear my cache properly. Now it displays all 21 entries. Thanks for all the help.
-Daarklord 19:57, 12 April 2008 (UTC)
I don't think it's my cache but something on the server's side. I created a new DPL page, initially with one entry. Then I added more entries. Then I opened another browser that has never seen the page, and it showed only the one entry, so it seems like there's a lag for when DPL updates. If it's supposed to happen it's not a problem for me, but can anyone confirm that this is supposed to happen?
-Daarklord 20:17, 12 April 2008 (UTC)
I'm not completly sure how DPL works in terms of caching but i know that often when i work with complicated templates, i have to add ?action=purge at the end of the URL of the page for it to update properly.
You see, there's is a cache of web page on our computer but there's also a cache on the server. And pages are put in a queue to be treated one by one by the sofware. Adding that thing to the URL tell it to process that page right away. — TulipVorlax 21:16, 12 April 2008 (UTC)
You are right; it might be because of an intermediary cache. Also thanks for telling me about the queue in the software. I now have all the answers I need for this question. Thank you all who replied. - Daarklord 08:30, 16 April 2008 (UTC)