Community Central
Register
Community Central
(info on host header)
Line 21: Line 21:

I would also like to know how to do this for my wiki, Starwarsmush.wikia.com - [[User_talk:Aknar]]

I would also like to know how to do this for my wiki, Starwarsmush.wikia.com - [[User_talk:Aknar]]
  +
  +
==Host header==
  +
Wikia host ''many'' web sites. They don't use a separate web server with a different IP address for each site. Instead, most (all?) of the sites use a single IP address. You can confirm this with 'ping YOUR_WIKI_NAME.wikia.com' and 'ping SOME_OTHER_WIKI_NAME.wikia.com'. It doesn't matter if the ping actually works, but you will see that the two names resolve to the same IP address.
  +
  +
This means you can't just use a DNS entry to redirect to your wiki. The web client (browser) has to send the "host header" (URL) with its request so that the Wikia web server knows which wiki you want. Therefore you need a web server installed for wiki.MyName.org and it would need to issue a suitable redirect to web browsers. --[[User:JohnBeckett|JohnBeckett]] 07:32, 8 January 2009 (UTC)

Revision as of 07:32, 8 January 2009

Forums: Index Help desk Please explain how to use my own domain name for a wiki (e.g. MyName.wikia.com = wiki.MyName.com) like Blogger etc.
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 5558 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

I have a registered domain, let's call it MyName.org.

I would like to have wiki.MyName.org point to MyName.wikia.com (which has already been created).

I have edited the CNAME entries with my DNS provider to point wiki.MyName.org to MyName.wikia.com, but it seems to be "intercepted" and you are taken to www.wikia.com home page.

I have this working using the same method with Blogger/Blogspot, where you have to advise blogger you want it to accept this domain name.

I have seen other wikis on wikia do this (MemoryAlpha comes to mind).

I've searched the help and e-mailed but no luck to far...

How can I have wikia accept my domain name so that this happens?

Andrew d mackenzie 14:47, 29 October 2008 (UTC)

I have this issue as well.

I would also like to know how to do this for my wiki, Starwarsmush.wikia.com - User_talk:Aknar

Host header

Wikia host many web sites. They don't use a separate web server with a different IP address for each site. Instead, most (all?) of the sites use a single IP address. You can confirm this with 'ping YOUR_WIKI_NAME.wikia.com' and 'ping SOME_OTHER_WIKI_NAME.wikia.com'. It doesn't matter if the ping actually works, but you will see that the two names resolve to the same IP address.

This means you can't just use a DNS entry to redirect to your wiki. The web client (browser) has to send the "host header" (URL) with its request so that the Wikia web server knows which wiki you want. Therefore you need a web server installed for wiki.MyName.org and it would need to issue a suitable redirect to web browsers. --JohnBeckett 07:32, 8 January 2009 (UTC)