Community Central
Register
Community Central
Forums: Index General Discussion New image uploaded
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4223 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Does anyone know why a file called "Wikia-Visualization-Main.png" had been uploaded? I've found it at several wiki's. Just wondering what it is. ---- Willie - HtS 16:27, August 27, 2012 (UTC)

Been noticing this myself after it appeared on mine, and google shows pretty much every wiki having it from the same IP address. Very odd. Yami Michael 16:31, August 27, 2012 (UTC)

Yes. And the IP address is 127.0.0.1. Our computers are uploading images by themselves? Very odd indeed. ---- Willie - HtS 16:39, August 27, 2012 (UTC)

I've also found a few wikis using "Wikia-Visualization-Add-1" and "Wikia-Visualization-Add-2" too. Yami Michael 16:43, August 27, 2012 (UTC)
And judging by Special:Contributions/127.0.0.1, its even weirder. Yami Michael 16:45, August 27, 2012 (UTC)
Its something that wikia uses. See it had created a template for DPL.  Ultimate Supreme talk · wiki I · wiki II  16:58, August 27, 2012 (UTC)
So the real question should be...what exactly is this visualization? Is it for the images on http://www.wikia.com/Wikia? Yami Michael 17:05, August 27, 2012 (UTC)

It's pretty obvious that it's for the Wikia Main page, and 127.0.0.1 is Wikia itself.--Sxerks (talk) 17:06, August 27, 2012 (UTC)

127.0.0.1 is something called localhost. Here, it's Wikia's IP address. (Don't ask me to explain, cause I don't understand either) There's obviously a glitch on the servers, as I believe those edits should be coming from User:WikiaBot.
The images themselves are used by the homepage for spotlights. I highly recommend not deleting them.    ǝsʞpɐןǝ  (message wall)  17:07, 27/08/2012
Well, reverting the delete, but you figure it would generally would of been posted about before or after doing an edit over that many wikis. Then again, they might be trying to revert it currently. *shrug* Yami Michael 17:10, August 27, 2012 (UTC)
There would have been no need to announce the uploads, as the edits should have happened on the invisible bot. ;)    ǝsʞpɐןǝ  (message wall)  17:19, 27/08/2012
For general wiki updates, sure. But I cant imagine I'm the only wiki that tries to keep certain things like "UnusedPhotos" and such to a minimum. Yami Michael 17:24, August 27, 2012 (UTC)

I agree with Yami. This isn't really a "background" update for software or something like that. Like Yami, I also use UnusedPhotos and UncategorizedPhotos on an almost daily basis. ---- Willie - HtS 17:34, August 27, 2012 (UTC)

Programming the bot to add a summary explaining why they're adding copyrighted material to our wikis without any licensing text wouldn't have hurt--Category:Acer4666 22:56, August 27, 2012 (UTC)

Hey guys, this is in preparation for a feature we're releasing on Wednesday in regards to promoting your wiki on wikia.com. I apologize if it spammed your logs, as that was not our intention. Please do not delete or edit any of the images as this may cause problems for your wiki. On Wednesday you will be able to upload and change any of the images. Just please sit tight until then. Once again I apologize for any confusion. ----Trellar WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 23:25, August 27, 2012 (UTC)

If we've added categories to the images, should these edits be reverted and the categories removed? Or should we not edit the file pages any further?--Category:Acer4666 23:32, August 27, 2012 (UTC)
"Please do not delete or edit any of the images", so just the image not the info on the File page, I personally protected the ones on my wikis not sure why there weren't auto protected.--Sxerks (talk) 00:57, August 28, 2012 (UTC)
Wikia should have informed all the admins on all the wikis with a bot-auto-message to their talk pages/walls telling them Wikia was adding something, and not to touch it. As it is, I'm betting several admins will have done something to all this (like delete them), since no notice was given to anyone, and I doubt all admins will have read this post. -- ForestMonthZero (talk) 05:44, August 28, 2012 (UTC)
My experience is that Wikia is none too good at that kind of thing (as this latest farce also shows); when an "important" announcement of an upcoming feature was made on the Doom wiki recently, it was made only to me, although I'm only an admin; I'm not the bureaucrat. -- RobertATfm (talk) 11:42, August 28, 2012 (UTC)
Will Wikia take responsibility for copyright violations created through this bot update? -- ForestMonthZero (talk) 05:45, August 28, 2012 (UTC)

So is this what User_blog:Trellar/A_new_way_to_promote_your_wikiis all about? -- 76.65.128.252 05:13, August 30, 2012 (UTC)

Apparently this is for Special:Promote -- 76.65.128.252 07:24, September 3, 2012 (UTC)