Community Central
Community Central
Forums: Index Watercooler New edit window
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 5568 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.
Johncenaeditwindow

The save bar on the edit window.

Johncenapreview

The floating save bar on the preview page.

Wikia is always looking for ways to improve the editing experience and today we're happy to announce a change to the edit window that will make editing easier and save time for experienced users and make the save button more visible for new users. The improved edit window has been live on several wikis for the last week, including Pro Wrestling and Muppet Wiki. This Wednesday, we'll be rolling it out site-wide.

Edit page

On the current edit page, it's necessary to scroll to see the save button, which is located in the middle of a group of buttons. On a long page, this can mean a lot of scrolling. Veteran wiki contributors are used to it, but a brand new contributor who clicks edit for the first time may not see the save button on the page.

The improved edit page adds a save bar at the bottom of the screen, which includes the same information as before -- an edit summary field, save button, minor edit button and watch button. However, now the edit window automatically resizes to fit your browser and the save button is always visible. All the the stuff which was under the edit window before is still there -- just scroll down. But no need to scroll to save or preview. This change doesn't remove anything from the page; it just highlights the important pieces and makes them more accessible.

Preview page

When previewing, the improved save bar floats at the bottom of the screen so you can scroll down to see the change that you've made. If your edit looks good, you can hit the save button without having to scroll down past the preview and the edit window.

Feedback

We plan to roll this out site-wide this Wednesday. After giving it a try, if your community would still prefer the old version of the edit window, just send us an email at community@wikia.com. We can switch your wiki back.

If you have any questions or comments, please leave feedback below!

Compatibility question

• Is this a Monaco-only feature (please say yes) or have you kludged it into my precious Monobook also? Has this been tested with AutoWikiBrowser? If it proves incompatible, how quickly will you be able to switch a wiki back to the normal edit box? -- Darth Culator (Talk) 23:44, 19 January 2009 (UTC)
    • After testing it on the Pro Wrestling wiki, I conclude that it doesn't affect Monobook much. It only appears to affect the positions of the "Minor edit" and "Watch this page" boxes. --Michaeldsuarez (Talk) (Deeds) 23:56, 19 January 2009 (UTC)

Works with iPhone, nice!

I'm pleasantly surprised to discover it detects the iPhone safari window size correctly. Good job! (-: -Afker All hail AliceSoft! 23:57, 19 January 2009 (UTC)

Necessary?

Nice work and all, but it isn't a huge deal. Saving can be done by hitting ctrl+s and previewing with ctrl+p. Exlonox 00:05, 20 January 2009 (UTC)

It's designed especially for people inexperienced with MediaWiki software, IMHO. Some of them don't even know how to copy and paste without a mouse. So I think it is a big deal to surface and highlight the save button to help less computer-inclined people with being involved on a wiki. -Afker All hail AliceSoft! 00:24, 20 January 2009 (UTC)
Well, what about the edit summary? The changes will make filling that out, faster. Good job. WHLfan (talk to me!) 02:36, 20 January 2009 (UTC)

Generic thumbs up

Looks like a good idea to me. --Sky (talk) 01:26, 20 January 2009 (UTC)

Agreed!  SkyeNiTessine (talk · contr) 01:57, 20 January 2009 (UTC)