This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
Hi i'm trying to link to section of pages in |my navigation menu but they won't work, can someone confirm if my links are correct or not? thanks in advance --Dem0n Hunter 04:21, November 19, 2010 (UTC)
If that is what is happening then you need to separate the pages, 1 page for each entry in the menu.
- Unfortunately, you are running into a limitation of Oasis which is intentional. I asked about this problem via a Special:Contact request early on.
- The special "#...#" keywords are designed to generate submenus and since the new menu structure of Oasis only allows 1 level deep, you can only put the "#...#" keywords at the top level of the 4 menus you are allowed. They won't work as menu items.
- If there were updated help pages, you probably could have found this sad news yourself, but alas there are not. -- (talk · contr) 8:21 AM PST 19 Nov 2010
- But it says nothing about transitioning from the radically different Monaco version of the menus which were on the sidebar. Which is the OPs problem. Sure there are some help pages, but they aren't much help transitioning from Monaco. It's just a giant pile of undocumented gotchas. -- (talk · contr) 10:47 AM PST 19 Nov 2010
I believe the problem is including piped text. You are trying to link to a content page; but you are coding the Navigation file entries as linking to an unnamed calculated Category, as it sees the # symbol to mean, by adding the pipe extension. If the script did not try to refer to a Category, it should go to the page as directed. What you have, it seems, is a sublist that is actually empty, so that the dropdown items all link to the top item. btw, I registered as 'testing987' to be able to edit to test that theory myself, but that page is blocked. So, 'Dem0n Hunter' will have to try, sorry. And please delete my user too. Imo, your attempt to search a simple page from the Navigation link is a waste to start with: those links could be to real content alternatives, or just not be included.
What I also notice is that some of the items are not showing, including the 'Edit this menu' link. That is imo because there is no highlight background for the entire system, and there are conflicts with what is behind the link text. That seems to be a fundamental flaw in the software for the Oasis Navigation system, as mentioned with no response yet at my other post on this subject (and copied to my Talk page). - Thumlyly 16:16, November 19, 2010 (UTC)
- I think that the 'Edit this menu' link only shows on the standard entries, once you edit one entry it stops showing.
- Nidek (Talk) 309 edits made 22:14, November 19, 2010 (UTC)
thanks everyone for the tips. What I was trying to do is to link to a certain part of a page for example page Bosses section Introductory bosses ( http://impossiblebosses.wikia.com/wiki/Bosses#Introductory_Bosses ) but seems Oasis doesn't allow that so I'm just goonna completely rethink my list of navigation. --Dem0n Hunter 00:30, November 20, 2010 (UTC)
- How about creating a new page with a relevant title for the sect, place a redirect on it to the actual section in the original page you wanted to link-to in the Wiki navigation menu, then point the menu link to the new redirct page with the 'simple' name. So Wiki menu item "Introductory Bosses" > page "Introductory Bosses" which redirects to > "Bosses#Introductory Bosses"
- - BulldozerD11 01:42, November 20, 2010 (UTC)
- Oh that's a really good idea, I think I'll consider that. thanks Bulldozer --Dem0n Hunter 23:48, November 20, 2010 (UTC)
- How about un-hiding the table of contents for the page on the page, so that anyone arriving at the page can choose from the same list of selections? I did not know there could be a Contents box like that: how did you do that? I asked for Source at Edit and saw no indication of anything special, leaving me puzzled how your page looks so complicated! Very impressive to me.
- But did you ever try just removing the piped text for each entry? Plug this in and try:
*Bosses **Bosses#Introductory_Bosses **Bosses#Intermediate_Bosses **Bosses#Ancient Spirit **Bosses#Pandomonium
- Thumlyly 01:27, November 21, 2010 (UTC)