Hello all! I am getting some what mad here. I have created a new wiki and I have check the mailing lists board to see if my wiki has been added. The answer is no it has not. The name of the wiki is Roller Derby. Please help. HotDice 05:30, 27 October 2007 (UTC)
- I don't see what possible reason you have to be mad. The wiki was created as requested, but you specified nowhere that you wanted the mailing-list created. Old wiki did automatically get the mailing-list created, but it's quite possible that that has been stopped. While all the older wiki have mailing-lists, 99% of those wiki don't even use the list. I'd actually consider it a great improvement if Wikia stopped automatically creating lists and instead only created them when the wiki community says that it wants it. Please also note that the mailing-lists are broken at the moment which could be the real reason, the techs are working on fixing the system. At the moment I suggest that you notify one of the com team members that you actually do want the mailing-list for the wiki because other than this message stating that your mad that you don't have a list you have not told any staff that you actually wanted the list. ~NOTASTAFF Daniel Friesen (DanTMan, Nadir Seen Fire) (talk) (tricks) (current topic) Oct 27, 2007 @ 06:00 (UTC)
- I was NOT AWARE that I had to request one. It does not say that nor the fact that the rules were changed. I was under the impression that I was given a mailing list when the wiki was created. From the Request a new Wikia page, "All Wikia sites come with a free Mailing List. You are encouraged to sign up to the mailing list for the wiki you requested, and also to the central Wikia mailing list, which seldom has more than a few messages a day and may contain vital information such as planned downtime." Please explain futher please. HotDice 06:14, 27 October 2007 (UTC)
- That message is outdated. It's impossible to keep every message you see up to date. That one alone is already mistaken by the fact that wikia-l is actually a fairly active list. There isn't really anything else to explain. Either they've stopped adding mailing lists and didn't remember that the message even existed, or the mailinglist was not added because the system is broken, or possibly the mailing-list is there and you just can't see it because of the broken system.
- But here is your general rule of thumb, if you're missing something, ask the staff. The com team and the other members of the community here are here to answer questions and help out. Just ask and wait for an answer before you get mad, just cause some message you saw says one thing doesn't mean we'll know you have a problem unless you calmly tell us. ~NOTASTAFF Daniel Friesen (DanTMan, Nadir Seen Fire) (talk) (tricks) (current topic) Oct 27, 2007 @ 06:29 (UTC)
- I just got my own Wikia website, and after reading through the many help files both on my Wikia site and on the central Wikia, I found something about "how to set up your mailing list". I can't remember where it was now, and I couldn't get the page to set up my own list, so I've left it for now. Now I know that the mailing lists are broken, I'll leave it for a few weeks, before I try again.
- These Wikia people are giving us free webspace and do a professional job without getting paid by us. So I think it is only fair for us to be patient, help each other and if necessary ask for help politely. They probably, don't even know you have a problem yet. There is no reason to get mad unless you have made 6 attempts to contact them and they haven't got back to you for 2 months. Don't forget that you can still work on the other parts of your wiki while you are waiting for this to get set up. And if you really can't create a temporary work around on your userpage or in your wiki's community section maybe you could set up something like a Yahoo Group.
- Good luck getting this sorted out. I'll be watching this page, so that I know when the lists are fixed.David Shepheard 04:20, 1 November 2007 (UTC)