Community Central
Community Central
mNo edit summary
mNo edit summary
Line 24: Line 24:

</pre>

</pre>

:: --[[User:Tlosk|Tlosk]] 09:46, March 27, 2010 (UTC)
+
:: For an actual example you can look at [[w:c:asheron:Drudge Prowler|Drudge Prowler]] and the four location groupings it has links to. --[[User:Tlosk|Tlosk]] 09:46, March 27, 2010 (UTC)

Revision as of 09:56, 27 March 2010

Forums: Index Community Central Forum List of links to a page - omitting links?
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 5137 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Basically, I'm on a wiki involving episode articles, and each episode article has a link to every other episode article via a fixed template. As a result, the "What links here" page for each of those episode articles includes every other episode article in the list (here's an example of what I mean).

I'm trying to use the "What links here" section to help me with something else, but this is made harder by having every episode article in the list, when they're only linked through the fixed template. Is there any way to omit these links from the list, since they aren't actually links in the articles themselves, but links in the template being used by the articles? Hope that all made sense. THB Talk 19:39, March 26, 2010 (UTC)

There's no direct way of doing what you want that I know of, there's two indirect ways of doing what you want though that I use myself. Without knowing more about the "something else" you're trying to accomplish I'll describe the first (the second is a lot more complicated). And just to clarify, as I understand it, when you say episode articles you mean articles about individual episodes, not articles about content from a specific episode:

First go to the template and change all of the episode links from [[Name]] to [[Episode/Name]], for example [[The Birth of Greymon]] to [[Episode/The Birth of Greymon]]. Save the template and now you'll have redlinks for all the episodes, go to each one and redirect them to the actual episode. That is the page [[Episode/The Birth of Greymon]] will now have "#Redirect [[The Birth of Greymon]]" on it.

Now you'll need to specify the whatlinkshere link with an additional parameter, for example [http://digimon.wikia.com/index.php?title=Special:WhatLinksHere/And_so_it_begins...&hideredirs=1 Related Content] would give you a link to a list of linked articles that doesn't show any pages that only linked through the template (or any other redirects). -- Tlosk 22:15, March 26, 2010 (UTC)

That's a good idea, though what I'm doing actually involves the redirects, so I'm afraid the method won't be able to help me in this situation. Thanks for the useful tip anyway. I'll keep it in mind. THB Talk 04:22, March 27, 2010 (UTC)

The other method I use is in situations where there are a lot of links to a page, but those many pages fall into a couple groups and I want to be able to show just the pages within a particular group rather than all the pages that link to that page (which are interspersed by the time the pages were created so hard to read through them and pick out the ones of interest).

On the pages that link there I use a template that both makes a regular link and also an invisible link to a nonexistant subpage named after the relevant group that the linking page belongs to. Then I can create a whatlinkshere link to that nonexistant subpage to display only the linking pages of that group, rather than all linking pages.

For example say I have food wiki and a page for Flour as an ingredient. There are many recipe pages that link to Flour, but on all the desert recipe pages I link both to "Flour" and to "Flour/Deserts". For bread recipes they link to "Flour" and "Flour/Breads". A normal whatlinkshere page would show both deserts and breads (and all the other classes that use flour). But a whatlinkshere link to "Flour/Deserts" would only display the deserts that use flour. Below is an example of what I would put in the template where the first parameter is the link to the actual page, and the second parameter is the name of the group you want it separated by (the second link doesn't display on the page, but still gets recorded as a link):
* [[{{{1|}}}]] [[{{{1|}}}/{{{2|}}}|<nowiki></nowiki>]]
and a link to deserts using flour:
* [[Special:WhatLinksHere/Flour/Deserts|Deserts using flour.]]
For an actual example you can look at Drudge Prowler and the four location groupings it has links to. --Tlosk 09:46, March 27, 2010 (UTC)