Community Central
Community Central
Forums: Index General Discussion Learning the coding languages
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4156 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

I have got the opportunity to help building a large website. Part of that large website will be like our very own wiki and I am the one who will be working on it. But, I feel like my knowledge won't be enough to make the templates from the scratch. That would definetly be the thing I would be doing and there is possiblity that I would need to give a hand with building the whole editing system. Well, all I know about coding languages I have learnt on the wikia, especially this wiki. I was learning by looking at the finished codes. I have explored each one of them until I understood how it works. All knowledge I got like this I was able to apply to some other pages on the wiki, especially templates. Do you think I am capable of something like this and if yes, where should I go from here (learning what is needed)?  AW10  Talk  Contribs  E-Mail  03:59,11/30/2012 

You do not make clear what kind of website you are talking about, so I'm going to assume it's a new dynamic website, that is going to be build from scratch. In that case, no, you are (probably) not capable of undertaking such a task.
Wikicode has nothing to do with actual languages and markup you need to know in order to build a (serious) real life website.
If you are a complete newbie with such things, I'd suggest you start from here to learn the basics. Then find and read some books on Javascript and/or PHP, and/or Ruby and/or Perl, depending on what you need to do and how you want it to be done. --Noemon *talk* 04:33, November 30, 2012 (UTC)
Standards such as CSS and (X)HTML can be found on the W3C website. The PHP server side scripting language has good documentation on its website, http://php.net .TK-999 (talk) 16:21, November 30, 2012 (UTC)