Community Central
Community Central
No edit summary
(someone has already posted this (sorry for not noticing))
Line 18: Line 18:

:::::This is just a guess, but I think that on your profile, the "Wikis you've contributed to" feature '''''remembers''''' which wikis you've been to: every time you edit a new wiki, that domain is added to an array whcih is stored server-side as part of your user-data. When you view your profile there, the server is likely just providing the list that it remembers. By contrast, my understanding of the LookupContribs tool is that it '''''actively''''' searches your contributions on a ton of different wikis.

:::::This is just a guess, but I think that on your profile, the "Wikis you've contributed to" feature '''''remembers''''' which wikis you've been to: every time you edit a new wiki, that domain is added to an array whcih is stored server-side as part of your user-data. When you view your profile there, the server is likely just providing the list that it remembers. By contrast, my understanding of the LookupContribs tool is that it '''''actively''''' searches your contributions on a ton of different wikis.

:::::Analogy: You're playing a video game. "Wikis you've contributed to" = your character dies, so you just reload the save file. LookupContribs = you replay through the entire video game from the very beginning, doing everything exactly the way you did before, to get back to the place where you died. {{User:Mathmagician/sig|19:34 UTC|Wed|01 August 2012}}

:::::Analogy: You're playing a video game. "Wikis you've contributed to" = your character dies, so you just reload the save file. LookupContribs = you replay through the entire video game from the very beginning, doing everything exactly the way you did before, to get back to the place where you died. {{User:Mathmagician/sig|19:34 UTC|Wed|01 August 2012}}

::::::There is a way to do that- it's not very helpful and takes time, but it should always work:

::::::Go to your profile, and click the "edit" button that appears when you hover above the information box at the top (the one that tells your username and when you joined this wiki). The '''Wikis you've contributed to:''' section should show the names of the wikis on which you have ever edited, of course, without links, so you will have to search for these wikis. By clicking "Refresh" it will show you all the wikis, but it's 4 each time, so you'll have to delete all the wikis there until you find what you want.

::::::'''This technique is not very effective, and time-consuming''', but if you're patient you will eventually find wikis you're looking for.

::::::[[user:Penguin-Pal|<font color="0e92cf">Penguin-Pal</font>]] [[user talk:Penguin-Pal|<font color="2e47aa">(talk)</font>]] 13:48, August 2, 2012 (UTC)

Revision as of 13:49, 2 August 2012

Forums: Index Support Requests Is there a way to see each Wiki have contributed to?
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4278 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Uh, I've been looking for a way to see a list of each wiki I have contributed to or I am an admin on so I can keep track of them all. I know when you edit the top of your user page in oasis a few of them appear for the "Wikis you've contributed to" section, but you obviously can't see them there all at once. Is there a way that you can have a link to them all? Thanks, Uni 16:08, August 1, 2012 (UTC)

No, there is not. The only tool that can really do this is Help:LookupContribs. It is only available to staff and is server intensive; there would need to be a legitimate reason for them to use it (e.g. history of vandalism). You are asked to keep track of which wikis you've contributed to on your own, by using your browser tools such as history. 20px_Rin_Tohsaka_Avatar.png Mathmagician ƒ(♫) 16:20 UTC, Wed, 01 August 2012
You may, however, Google your username and see the results. :) -- 16:24, August 1, 2012 (UTC)
­*Edit conflict*
You can search Google with a query like this:
"User:Example" "Edits since joining this wiki" site:wikia.com
That should display a list of every wiki you've contributed to, but if Google hasn't had a chance to index your user page on a certain wiki, or if a wiki modified the "Edits since joining this wiki" message, it won't. You may just have to play around with it.
Yes, that helps and makes sense. However, it might not be useful for finding some of the really small wikis, bit that's ok. How does the "Wikis you've contributed to" function work then, I wonder... Universal 19:22, August 1, 2012 (UTC)
This is just a guess, but I think that on your profile, the "Wikis you've contributed to" feature remembers which wikis you've been to: every time you edit a new wiki, that domain is added to an array whcih is stored server-side as part of your user-data. When you view your profile there, the server is likely just providing the list that it remembers. By contrast, my understanding of the LookupContribs tool is that it actively searches your contributions on a ton of different wikis.
Analogy: You're playing a video game. "Wikis you've contributed to" = your character dies, so you just reload the save file. LookupContribs = you replay through the entire video game from the very beginning, doing everything exactly the way you did before, to get back to the place where you died. 20px_Rin_Tohsaka_Avatar.png Mathmagician ƒ(♫) 19:34 UTC, Wed, 01 August 2012