FANDOM

This Forum has been archived

Visit the new Forums
Forums: Index Support Requests Is there a way to remove the auto-added "contents" area from a single page?
FANDOM's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.

50px-Replacement filing cabinet.svg

Note: This topic has been unedited for 1533 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Is there a way to remove the content block (seen below this) from a single page?

On the front page of the wiki I work for I want a few words to be larger so I used the === and ==== coding, but now there is a contents box that doesn't look very good on the main page.

How the front page looks starts here, and the thing I want gone is right below this line:

Welcome

bla bla bla

Community Central Contents (view all pages)

Characters

• some
  • names
  • of
  • characters

Battle

• some
  • the
  • battles

Points of Interest

• more stuff
  • about the game

Game Makers

• more stuff
  • about the
  • game makers

Latest Additions

<activityfeed/> (no-wiki'ed to shrink the page)

I hope someone can help me with this.
FurRiffic (Talk) 09:40, August 2, 2012 (UTC)

You can remove the Table of Contents from a particular page by using the magic word __NOTOC__    ǝsʞpɐןǝ  (message wall)  09:44, 02/08/2012

Thanks that worked perfectly
FurRiffic (Talk) 10:22, August 2, 2012 (UTC)

NOTOC may not be sufficient to long term needs, though. Even if you have NOTOC, the individual sections will still show up as being editable. Thus, you may want to use <h2> and <h3> tags around your headline text. This will produce a headline, but not offer an edting link.

You could even go so far as definiing a special class of text in your css to create headline-big text, but without any of the complications of it actually being a headline.

So, you could go to your MediaWiki:Common.css and enter the following:

#head {
   font-size:150%;
   font-family:whatever;
   color:whatever;
   padding:10px;
   margin-left:5px;
}

Then you'd create a very simple template, called maybe Template:headline, consisting simply of this tiny bit of code:

<div id=head>{{{1|}}}</div>

This would then allow you to type {{headline|This is my section head}}

Sure, all this is slightly more work than just typing

__NOTOC__
__NOEDITSECTION__

But the results are much more satisfying and adaptaable. czechout@fandom    fly tardis  <span style="">17:17: Thu 02 Aug 2012 

You really shouldn't be using headers for bigger text, since they aren't bigger, depending on the header you use, some of them are smaller. Instead you could create a template that produces larger text.
Make a template Template:Big
<span style="font-size:{{{size|115%}}}">{{{1|}}}</span>
Which will make bigger text Like This
76.65.131.160 05:01, August 3, 2012 (UTC)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.