Community Central
Community Central
No edit summary
No edit summary
Line 28: Line 28:

::{{User:WikiPim/SigReal|08:22,8/Oct/2011}}

::{{User:WikiPim/SigReal|08:22,8/Oct/2011}}

:::There's definitely a need for that. --{{User:IcecreamKitten/sig}} 12:09, October 8, 2011 (UTC)

:::There's definitely a need for that. --{{User:IcecreamKitten/sig}} 12:09, October 8, 2011 (UTC)
  +
  +
:Of course there is. But there are huge problems with that. A list of those problems ordered by importance (according to my opinion):
  +
# You will be working on some other wiki, not the wiki you wanted to build about your favorite subject. If you (or any other editor) had free time in which wiki would you prefer to work on?
  +
# Mediawiki has disperse documentation and it's a bit painful to deal with it/them.
  +
# Some html and CSS pointers to knowledge are also needed. You (the editors) can put the line in a way that html and CSS are outside but for the admins that need something to work and that is done using html and CSS it will appear not complete/useful information on the subject.
  +
# You'd need to know (preferably in advance) the changes made from the stock mediawiki. Wikia makes that near impossible and a huge pain.
  +
# You'd need a community (more knowledgeable editors) to join. There's nothing of that here - again, mostly because people are doing their thing.
  +
# You'd need to get to your target audience, the admins of all wikis. That's a bit of an utopia and people get annoyed if you push it. Plus wikia would have to help with it and from experience we know they only support dumb useless ideas or they put a condition that will make the whole project pointless.
  +
:
  +
:{{:User:Nidek/Sig1}} 22:46, October 10, 2011 (UTC)

Revision as of 22:46, 10 October 2011

Forums: Index Support Requests Is there a need for a one stop shop wiki for admin tools/ templates/ user experience?
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4575 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

I am wondering for some time if there is a 'need' for a one stop shop wiki about templates, user experience and admin tools for new admins, experienced admins and guru admins to go if they want the latest, best, easiest, nicest or whatever else you can think of add- on/ insertion/ way of doing things on their own wiki.

A bit like the help wiki for normal users but now for those who want to take their wiki to a bit higher level. A place where you can go and find, easily explained and in snippets as well as in whole (parts) how to customize parts of your wiki.

Please help me determine if there is a need for that.

I know that there are

I still have a feeling that it's hard to find the parts you are looking for specifically and the fact that you need to search through so many different wiki's to get the user experience and the job as admin as easy as possible. Plus wiki's like dev wiki are not exactly fitting for the less code enhanced wikians among us.

Please share your thoughts about this and if you think you would visit such a wiki if it was available.

There is also Templates Wiki. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 7 Oct 2011 2:16 PM Pacific
I wasn't actually asking that. I would like to hear your opinion on the subject instead.
There's definitely a need for that. --IK Talk 12:09, October 8, 2011 (UTC)
Of course there is. But there are huge problems with that. A list of those problems ordered by importance (according to my opinion):
  1. You will be working on some other wiki, not the wiki you wanted to build about your favorite subject. If you (or any other editor) had free time in which wiki would you prefer to work on?
  2. Mediawiki has disperse documentation and it's a bit painful to deal with it/them.
  3. Some html and CSS pointers to knowledge are also needed. You (the editors) can put the line in a way that html and CSS are outside but for the admins that need something to work and that is done using html and CSS it will appear not complete/useful information on the subject.
  4. You'd need to know (preferably in advance) the changes made from the stock mediawiki. Wikia makes that near impossible and a huge pain.
  5. You'd need a community (more knowledgeable editors) to join. There's nothing of that here - again, mostly because people are doing their thing.
  6. You'd need to get to your target audience, the admins of all wikis. That's a bit of an utopia and people get annoyed if you push it. Plus wikia would have to help with it and from experience we know they only support dumb useless ideas or they put a condition that will make the whole project pointless.
 Nidek   (Talk) [[Special:Contributions/Nidek| Special:Editcount/Nidek edits made ]] 22:46, October 10, 2011 (UTC)