Community Central
Community Central
m (Fixing Signature)
m (Comment)

(6 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 7: Line 7:

I can understand that it may be of use to display a larger thumbnail pop-up for large, thumbnailed images instead of directly linking to the file page, but this shouldn't be done for any image which is already displayed without being resized in any way. [[User:Crynsos|<span style="font-family: Calibri; color: #640000;"> '''''<small>(</small><big>C</big>rynsos''''' </span>]] <sup> [[User talk:Crynsos|Talk]] </sup> 10:02, May 11, 2010 (UTC)

I can understand that it may be of use to display a larger thumbnail pop-up for large, thumbnailed images instead of directly linking to the file page, but this shouldn't be done for any image which is already displayed without being resized in any way. [[User:Crynsos|<span style="font-family: Calibri; color: #640000;"> '''''<small>(</small><big>C</big>rynsos''''' </span>]] <sup> [[User talk:Crynsos|Talk]] </sup> 10:02, May 11, 2010 (UTC)
  +
  +
:I am also looking for a way to disable those image popups. They are very annoying for editors as is the new useless followed pages feature that doesn't tell what and when something was changed. Since the last wikia upgrade it's also no longer possible to login without JavaScript because the input boxes are not visible. Wikia sems to have delevoped a featuritis in the last couple of months. Sometimes less is more! [[User:Faern.|Faern.]] 20:53, May 13, 2010 (UTC)
  +
  +
::May be quite useful to have some kind of switch at an administrator only special page to turn certain features which may produce problematic results either off for the whole wiki or certain members types. (Anonymous visitors, registered editors, etc.) Can't really think of a better option than that while not removing the whole feature as some people might actually like the changes. (Well, making them extensions is a possibility, but probably not a good one.) [[User:Crynsos|<span style="font-family: Calibri; color: #640000;"> '''''<small>(</small><big>C</big>rynsos''''' </span>]] <sup> [[User talk:Crynsos|Talk]] </sup> 20:12, May 14, 2010 (UTC)
  +
  +
:I'd refer you to [http://community.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Sarah_Manley/Followed_pages_-_a_new_way_to_stay_up-to-date_on_your_favorite_wiki_pages#Kirkburn-20100506100259 Kirkburn's explanation]: "Regarding lightboxes: remember that as an advanced editor, you are not the main type of person that visits a wiki. When most people come to a wiki they want to see the images bigger, not the weird image details page. That being said, we will consider adding a preference, but no promises." -- [[User:LordTBT|<font color="Green">LordTBT</font>]] [[User talk:LordTBT|<sup><font color="Green" size="2">Talk!</font></sup>]] 06:25, May 15, 2010 (UTC)
  +
  +
::Well, thats only obvious, hence I requested the feature to rather detect if an image is already displayed at 100% size or not and either be available for that image or not. Its pretty useless and weird to make a pop-up screen available for every little icon displayed on a page. My wiki vistors primarily complained that they now lack a direct and easy link to a (slightly oversized @ 3000 x 3000) world map, but that should work with "link=***.png" anyways...
  +
  +
::Also, thanks for that link, didn't know there was already some kind of statement about it. [[User:Crynsos|<span style="font-family: Calibri; color: #640000;"> '''''<small>(</small><big>C</big>rynsos''''' </span>]] <sup> [[User talk:Crynsos|Talk]] </sup> 13:36, May 15, 2010 (UTC)
  +
  +
There is a JavaScript variable ''wgEnableImageLightboxExt'' that is set to true in the head of every page. The JavaScript function that creates the Lightboxes checks this variable. If we were able to set this variable to false through some preference the popups would be disabled. [[User:Faern.|Faern.]] 16:33, May 15, 2010 (UTC)
  +
  +
:I found a (temporary) way to disable the Lightbox by overriding the binding that is executed when you click on an image. Instead of opening the popup and preventing the loading of the file's page, it just does nothing. So images become a normal link again. Just copy the following code to your [[Special:MyPage/global.js]]
  +
<source lang="javascript">// Override Lightboxes and go directly to the image's page when clicking on an image
  +
var ImageLightbox= {
  +
log:function(msg) {
  +
$().log(msg,'ImageLightbox');
  +
},
  +
track:function(fakeUrl){
  +
window.jQuery.tracker.byStr('lightbox'+fakeUrl);
  +
},
  +
init:function(){
  +
var self=this;
  +
if(!window.wgEnableImageLightboxExt){
  +
this.log('disabled');
  +
return;
  +
}
  +
var images=$('#bodyContent').find('a.lightbox, a.image');
  +
if(!images.exists()){return;}
  +
images.unbind('.lightbox').bind('click.lightbox',function(ev){self.onClick.call(self,ev);});
  +
},
  +
onClick:function(ev){
  +
},
  +
show:function(imageName,caption){
  +
}
  +
};
  +
ImageLightbox.init.call(ImageLightbox);
  +
</source>
  +
:[[User:Faern.|Faern.]] 19:20, May 15, 2010 (UTC)
  +
  +
::Thanks, nice to have a temporary, or even permanent fix if this "feature" won't be changed anymore in the future. (Especially since my knowledge is next to nothing in terms of JS) [[User:Crynsos|<span style="font-family: Calibri; color: #640000;"> '''''<small>(</small><big>C</big>rynsos''''' </span>]] <sup> [[User talk:Crynsos|Talk]] </sup> 22:20, May 16, 2010 (UTC)

Latest revision as of 22:20, 16 May 2010

Forums: Index Community Central Forum Image Pop-Up instead of File Page
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 5087 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Since a while, when you click uploaded images embedded in pages, they now popup in a window with a (yet another) thumbnail of the image alike to the login pop-up, which is quite annoying once you got used to getting directly linked to files and their history, even more so since this happens for images of all sizes that are being displayed - not only non-full size images.

I can understand that it may be of use to display a larger thumbnail pop-up for large, thumbnailed images instead of directly linking to the file page, but this shouldn't be done for any image which is already displayed without being resized in any way. (Crynsos Talk 10:02, May 11, 2010 (UTC)

I am also looking for a way to disable those image popups. They are very annoying for editors as is the new useless followed pages feature that doesn't tell what and when something was changed. Since the last wikia upgrade it's also no longer possible to login without JavaScript because the input boxes are not visible. Wikia sems to have delevoped a featuritis in the last couple of months. Sometimes less is more! Faern. 20:53, May 13, 2010 (UTC)
May be quite useful to have some kind of switch at an administrator only special page to turn certain features which may produce problematic results either off for the whole wiki or certain members types. (Anonymous visitors, registered editors, etc.) Can't really think of a better option than that while not removing the whole feature as some people might actually like the changes. (Well, making them extensions is a possibility, but probably not a good one.) (Crynsos Talk 20:12, May 14, 2010 (UTC)
I'd refer you to Kirkburn's explanation: "Regarding lightboxes: remember that as an advanced editor, you are not the main type of person that visits a wiki. When most people come to a wiki they want to see the images bigger, not the weird image details page. That being said, we will consider adding a preference, but no promises." -- LordTBT Talk! 06:25, May 15, 2010 (UTC)
Well, thats only obvious, hence I requested the feature to rather detect if an image is already displayed at 100% size or not and either be available for that image or not. Its pretty useless and weird to make a pop-up screen available for every little icon displayed on a page. My wiki vistors primarily complained that they now lack a direct and easy link to a (slightly oversized @ 3000 x 3000) world map, but that should work with "link=***.png" anyways...
Also, thanks for that link, didn't know there was already some kind of statement about it. (Crynsos Talk 13:36, May 15, 2010 (UTC)

There is a JavaScript variable wgEnableImageLightboxExt that is set to true in the head of every page. The JavaScript function that creates the Lightboxes checks this variable. If we were able to set this variable to false through some preference the popups would be disabled. Faern. 16:33, May 15, 2010 (UTC)

I found a (temporary) way to disable the Lightbox by overriding the binding that is executed when you click on an image. Instead of opening the popup and preventing the loading of the file's page, it just does nothing. So images become a normal link again. Just copy the following code to your Special:MyPage/global.js
// Override Lightboxes and go directly to the image's page when clicking on an image
var ImageLightbox= {
  log:function(msg) {
    $().log(msg,'ImageLightbox');
  },
  track:function(fakeUrl){
    window.jQuery.tracker.byStr('lightbox'+fakeUrl);
  },
  init:function(){
    var self=this;
    if(!window.wgEnableImageLightboxExt){
      this.log('disabled');
      return;
    }
    var images=$('#bodyContent').find('a.lightbox, a.image');
    if(!images.exists()){return;}
    images.unbind('.lightbox').bind('click.lightbox',function(ev){self.onClick.call(self,ev);});
  },
  onClick:function(ev){
  },
  show:function(imageName,caption){
  }
};
ImageLightbox.init.call(ImageLightbox);
Faern. 19:20, May 15, 2010 (UTC)
Thanks, nice to have a temporary, or even permanent fix if this "feature" won't be changed anymore in the future. (Especially since my knowledge is next to nothing in terms of JS) (Crynsos Talk 22:20, May 16, 2010 (UTC)