Community Central
Community Central
No edit summary
(Thanks!)
Line 8: Line 8:

::It's a server strain, so Wikia prefers to only use it when it's necessary. However, there's a feature (that's technically still in beta(?) even though it's default on some wikis) that shows your edit count on all wikis on your profile. If you go to a wiki such as [[w:c:assassinscreed|Assassin's Creed Wiki]], all user profiles have the feature, even if the user hasn't edited on the wiki. You can use that to jump to the top 5 wikis where they edit, and look up their contribs there.

::It's a server strain, so Wikia prefers to only use it when it's necessary. However, there's a feature (that's technically still in beta(?) even though it's default on some wikis) that shows your edit count on all wikis on your profile. If you go to a wiki such as [[w:c:assassinscreed|Assassin's Creed Wiki]], all user profiles have the feature, even if the user hasn't edited on the wiki. You can use that to jump to the top 5 wikis where they edit, and look up their contribs there.
  +

::You could probably also get it from the api with a bot, but I have a feeling that Wikia would frown on that. {{User:Monchoman45/SigReal|13:04,5/2/2011}}

::You could probably also get it from the api with a bot, but I have a feeling that Wikia would frown on that. {{User:Monchoman45/SigReal|13:04,5/2/2011}}

::::Okay, Monchoman, I give up! :) I went over to [[w:c:assassinscreed|Assassin's Creed Wiki]], switched my skin to Oasis and saw the “tool” you mentioned atop each userpage. It was really neat! I could not, however, figure out what was generating it. Where do I find the tool? Does it require the installation of any special [[mw:Manual:Extensions|extensions]]? Is it a javascript that needs to be added to the MediaWiki namespace? Thanks! — '''[[w:c:admintools:User:SpikeToronto|<font color="#DC143C" face="Garamond" size="3">Spike</font>]][[w:c:admintools:User talk:SpikeToronto|<font color="#000000" face="Garamond" size="3">Toronto</font>]]''' 13:59, May 2, 2011 (UTC)

::::Okay, Monchoman, I give up! :) I went over to [[w:c:assassinscreed|Assassin's Creed Wiki]], switched my skin to Oasis and saw the “tool” you mentioned atop each userpage. It was really neat! I could not, however, figure out what was generating it. Where do I find the tool? Does it require the installation of any special [[mw:Manual:Extensions|extensions]]? Is it a javascript that needs to be added to the MediaWiki namespace? Thanks! — '''[[w:c:admintools:User:SpikeToronto|<font color="#DC143C" face="Garamond" size="3">Spike</font>]][[w:c:admintools:User talk:SpikeToronto|<font color="#000000" face="Garamond" size="3">Toronto</font>]]''' 13:59, May 2, 2011 (UTC)
  +

::::::It's PHP, so you can't directly control whether you have it. It's not a documented tool in any respect - Wikia just stuck it on the "new" userpage setup at one point, and new wikis have a chance of getting it when they're created. Wikia might be able to enable it for you if you send a message to [[Special:Contact]], but they also might not. {{User:Monchoman45/SigReal|14:07,5/2/2011}}

::::::It's PHP, so you can't directly control whether you have it. It's not a documented tool in any respect - Wikia just stuck it on the "new" userpage setup at one point, and new wikis have a chance of getting it when they're created. Wikia might be able to enable it for you if you send a message to [[Special:Contact]], but they also might not. {{User:Monchoman45/SigReal|14:07,5/2/2011}}

:::::::Sorry, but we don't have a reliable or scalable way of getting this info right now. Even the staff tool is server intensive and not always up to date. I suggest that you ask the applicants which wikis they have been active on so that you can check their edits there. [[User:Angela|Angela]] 13:13, May 3, 2011 (UTC)

:::::::Sorry, but we don't have a reliable or scalable way of getting this info right now. Even the staff tool is server intensive and not always up to date. I suggest that you ask the applicants which wikis they have been active on so that you can check their edits there. [[User:Angela|Angela]] 13:13, May 3, 2011 (UTC)
  +
  +
::::::::Thanks to everyone for the responses! I have sort of found a work around. It seems that, thanks to the universal nature of Wikia usernames/accounts, if you go over to that wiki, go to a particular user’s userpage, it will show you his/her top five, regardless of whether s/he has even created a userpage there. So, when necessary vis-à-vis RfRs, I can just scoot over there for a sec.<blockquote></blockquote>I do have some follow-up: Why does only that wiki have that tool? Is it intended to one day be rolled out universally? Thanks! — '''[[w:c:admintools:User:SpikeToronto|<font color="#DC143C" face="Garamond" size="3">Spike</font>]][[w:c:admintools:User talk:SpikeToronto|<font color="#000000" face="Garamond" size="3">Toronto</font>]]''' 08:02, May 10, 2011 (UTC)

Revision as of 08:02, 10 May 2011

Forums: Index Community Central Forum Global contributions for Wikia?
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4728 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

At our wiki — Admin Tools Wiki (ATW) — before approving Requests for rights, we like to review the requestor's edit count and contributions on the various wikis that they work on. For requestors who work primarily on Wikimedia Foundation projects, this is not difficult, given that it can be done with a single click. (Example: Here is my global edit count on WMF projects, while here are my global contributions on WMF projects.)

I find that I can get a requestor's global Wikia edit count by simply using Special:EditCount/username. (Example: Here is my global Wikia edit count plus ATW edit count.) However, I cannot figure out how to get global Wikia contributions. Special:Contributions/username only yields the user’s local contributions on the wiki on which the command is being issued.
Any ideas? Thanks! — SpikeToronto 12:53, May 2, 2011 (UTC)

There isn't a way for users to view this information, Staff and VSTF have a tool to do that, but I'm not sure what staff's policy is on using it, the best way would be to contact Fandom Staff and see - or revise your own policy (for example, asking them to give a link to a wiki where they have significant contributions) RandomTime 12:59, May 2, 2011 (UTC)
It's a server strain, so Wikia prefers to only use it when it's necessary. However, there's a feature (that's technically still in beta(?) even though it's default on some wikis) that shows your edit count on all wikis on your profile. If you go to a wiki such as Assassin's Creed Wiki, all user profiles have the feature, even if the user hasn't edited on the wiki. You can use that to jump to the top 5 wikis where they edit, and look up their contribs there.
You could probably also get it from the api with a bot, but I have a feeling that Wikia would frown on that.  Monchoman45  Talk  Contribs  Skystone  13:04,5/2/2011 
Okay, Monchoman, I give up! :) I went over to Assassin's Creed Wiki, switched my skin to Oasis and saw the “tool” you mentioned atop each userpage. It was really neat! I could not, however, figure out what was generating it. Where do I find the tool? Does it require the installation of any special extensions? Is it a javascript that needs to be added to the MediaWiki namespace? Thanks! — SpikeToronto 13:59, May 2, 2011 (UTC)
It's PHP, so you can't directly control whether you have it. It's not a documented tool in any respect - Wikia just stuck it on the "new" userpage setup at one point, and new wikis have a chance of getting it when they're created. Wikia might be able to enable it for you if you send a message to Special:Contact, but they also might not.  Monchoman45  Talk  Contribs  Skystone  14:07,5/2/2011 
Sorry, but we don't have a reliable or scalable way of getting this info right now. Even the staff tool is server intensive and not always up to date. I suggest that you ask the applicants which wikis they have been active on so that you can check their edits there. Angela 13:13, May 3, 2011 (UTC)
Thanks to everyone for the responses! I have sort of found a work around. It seems that, thanks to the universal nature of Wikia usernames/accounts, if you go over to that wiki, go to a particular user’s userpage, it will show you his/her top five, regardless of whether s/he has even created a userpage there. So, when necessary vis-à-vis RfRs, I can just scoot over there for a sec.
I do have some follow-up: Why does only that wiki have that tool? Is it intended to one day be rolled out universally? Thanks! — SpikeToronto 08:02, May 10, 2011 (UTC)