FANDOM

(An alternative vision)
m (Removing redlinks.)

Line 13: Line 13:

== Discussions ==

== Discussions ==

:Hey went ahead and substituted the article. Great idea, have you talked about it on IRC?--[[User:Imaginationac|Imaginationac]] <small>([[User talk:Imaginationac|Talk]] | [[Special:Contributions/Imaginationac|Edits]] | [[Special:Emailuser/Imaginationac|Email]])</small> 03:16, 5 August 2007 (UTC)

:Hey went ahead and substituted the article. Great idea, have you talked about it on IRC?--[[User:Imaginationac|Imaginationac]] <small>([[User talk:Imaginationac|Talk]] | [[Special:Contributions/Imaginationac|Edits]] | [[Special:Emailuser/Imaginationac|Email]])</small> 03:16, 5 August 2007 (UTC)
::Oopps sorry I wasn't clear. Please edit [[User:PanSola/Wikiahhh]] directly if you want to edit the "article", so that we don't have to worry about syncing. If the idea gains momentum, that article might be moved to its own [[Wikiahhh]] article. -[[User:PanSola|PanSola]] 23:16, 5 August 2007 (UTC)
+
::Oopps sorry I wasn't clear. Please edit [[User:PanSola/Wikiahhh]] directly if you want to edit the "article", so that we don't have to worry about syncing. If the idea gains momentum, that article might be moved to its own Wikiahhh article. -[[User:PanSola|PanSola]] 23:16, 5 August 2007 (UTC)

::also, not many ppl are on IRC anyways so I haven't really tried talking about it there. -[[User:PanSola|PanSola]] 23:20, 5 August 2007 (UTC)

::also, not many ppl are on IRC anyways so I haven't really tried talking about it there. -[[User:PanSola|PanSola]] 23:20, 5 August 2007 (UTC)

Latest revision as of 22:48, May 30, 2016

Forums: Index Watercooler Conference idea for Wikia
FANDOM's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.

50px-Replacement filing cabinet.svg

Note: This topic has been unedited for 1496 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

DISCLAIMER: The idea did NOT originate from me. I simply made a wiki article out of the ideas I've heard other people tossing around.

The following is substitued from User:PanSola/Wikiahhh:

Wikiahhh (pronounced wiki-AHHH) is a proposed title for a not-yet-existing annual meeting/convention/conference. It's an opportunity for the Wikia suckers users to meet and scream at talk to the indentured servents devs, demigods CommTeam, [[uncyclopedia:Jimbo, and the other people of Wikia. You know, just like how Wikimedia has the Wikimania conference.

• Timing:
    • On the same days as Half-way between Wikimania conferences.
    • Somewhere relatively cheap for the majority of people to fly to, until it becomes an established conference. Then we'll do it in Hawaii.
  • Why?
    • Wikia is not Wikimedia/Wikipedia. We have different needs and experiences that cannot be sufficiently addressed/shared at conferences focused on WM & WP.
    • More excuse to travel and have fun!
  • Things to do:
    • Come up with a logo
    • Come up with an audio-recording of the proper pronunciation
    • Find the initiative and time to plan and pull it off
    •  ???
    • Profit! (in terms of individual wikia's content quality and community development, of course)
  • What's with all the h's?
    • It's a reflection of how Hot Wikians are (except the ones who are cool).
  • Other things to note
    • There are exactly a quarter-dozen (3) h's in Wikiahhh. No more (4+), no less (2-).

See also

Feel free to edit the article, or discuss the ideas here. Other proposals for the name (or capitalization of) is welcome too! -PanSola 19:24, 4 August 2007 (UTC)

Discussions

Hey went ahead and substituted the article. Great idea, have you talked about it on IRC?--Imaginationac (Talk | Edits | Email) 03:16, 5 August 2007 (UTC)
Oopps sorry I wasn't clear. Please edit User:PanSola/Wikiahhh directly if you want to edit the "article", so that we don't have to worry about syncing. If the idea gains momentum, that article might be moved to its own Wikiahhh article. -PanSola 23:16, 5 August 2007 (UTC)
also, not many ppl are on IRC anyways so I haven't really tried talking about it there. -PanSola 23:20, 5 August 2007 (UTC)

An alternative vision

(I'm putting this here so that hopefully more people will see it and contribute)

I agree with the first part of Why do it, but think the how its done could be very different. An alternative vision is for something more decentralized. We can be ambitious enough to envisage Wikians in all corners of the earth, so that people can come together more locally. People can get together within countries or groups of neighbouring countries affordably, by rail and other less polluting forms of travel.

We can be ambitious and imaginative enough to use new technologies such as video conferencing to link up simultaneous and sequential events. We can actually have more fun not less through more decentralized, more inclusive, more affordable, more ethically and environmentally responsible forms of meeting up. If we just see Wikia as a plaything for the rich then I suggest we seriously underestimate its potential. Philralph 08:00, 6 August 2007 (UTC)

Heh, ironically when I read "video conferencing", one of my first impressions was along the lines of "plaything for the rich". I guess I haven't been paying attention to how much prices have dropped on new tech gadgets d-:
BTW, so do you consider the Wikimedia foundation as a plaything for the rich? -PanSola 15:45, 6 August 2007 (UTC)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.