DISCLAIMER: The idea did NOT originate from me. I simply made a wiki article out of the ideas I've heard other people tossing around.
The following is substitued from User:PanSola/Wikiahhh:
Wikiahhh (pronounced wiki-AHHH) is a proposed title for a not-yet-existing annual meeting/convention/conference. It's an opportunity for the Wikia
suckersusers to meet and scream attalk to the indentured serventsdevs, demigodsCommTeam, [[uncyclopedia:Jimbo, and the other people of Wikia. You know, just like how Wikimedia has the Wikimania conference.
On the same days asHalf-way between Wikimania conferences.
- Somewhere relatively cheap for the majority of people to fly to, until it becomes an established conference.
Then we'll do it in Hawaii.
- Things to do:
- Come up with a logo
- Come up with an audio-recording of the proper pronunciation
- Find the initiative and time to plan and pull it off
- Profit! (in terms of individual wikia's content quality and community development, of course)
- Other things to note
- There are exactly a quarter-dozen (3) h's in Wikiahhh. No more (4+), no less (2-).
Feel free to edit the article, or discuss the ideas here. Other proposals for the name (or capitalization of) is welcome too! -PanSola 19:24, 4 August 2007 (UTC)
- Hey went ahead and substituted the article. Great idea, have you talked about it on IRC?--Imaginationac (Talk | Edits | Email) 03:16, 5 August 2007 (UTC)
- Oopps sorry I wasn't clear. Please edit User:PanSola/Wikiahhh directly if you want to edit the "article", so that we don't have to worry about syncing. If the idea gains momentum, that article might be moved to its own Wikiahhh article. -PanSola 23:16, 5 August 2007 (UTC)
- also, not many ppl are on IRC anyways so I haven't really tried talking about it there. -PanSola 23:20, 5 August 2007 (UTC)
An alternative vision
(I'm putting this here so that hopefully more people will see it and contribute)
I agree with the first part of Why do it, but think the how its done could be very different. An alternative vision is for something more decentralized. We can be ambitious enough to envisage Wikians in all corners of the earth, so that people can come together more locally. People can get together within countries or groups of neighbouring countries affordably, by rail and other less polluting forms of travel.
We can be ambitious and imaginative enough to use new technologies such as video conferencing to link up simultaneous and sequential events. We can actually have more fun not less through more decentralized, more inclusive, more affordable, more ethically and environmentally responsible forms of meeting up. If we just see Wikia as a plaything for the rich then I suggest we seriously underestimate its potential. Philralph 08:00, 6 August 2007 (UTC)
- Heh, ironically when I read "video conferencing", one of my first impressions was along the lines of "plaything for the rich". I guess I haven't been paying attention to how much prices have dropped on new tech gadgets d-:
- BTW, so do you consider the Wikimedia foundation as a plaything for the rich? -PanSola 15:45, 6 August 2007 (UTC)