(2 intermediate revisions by one other user not shown)
Line 20: Line 20:

::Seconded. Because none of the literally hundreds of issues, bugs and complaints are addressed, we users will be venting at every available opportunity, on any available forum. Since all my [[Special:Contact]] messages have yet to be responded to you can't expect us to all get in line and wait to be ignored. '''[[User:OllieMartin|<font style="font-family: Haettenschweiler; color: #076B3A;">Ollie</font>]][[User talk:OllieMartin|<font style="font-family: Haettenschweiler; color: #620101;">Martin</font>]]''' 11:19, October 30, 2010 (UTC)

::Seconded. Because none of the literally hundreds of issues, bugs and complaints are addressed, we users will be venting at every available opportunity, on any available forum. Since all my [[Special:Contact]] messages have yet to be responded to you can't expect us to all get in line and wait to be ignored. '''[[User:OllieMartin|<font style="font-family: Haettenschweiler; color: #076B3A;">Ollie</font>]][[User talk:OllieMartin|<font style="font-family: Haettenschweiler; color: #620101;">Martin</font>]]''' 11:19, October 30, 2010 (UTC)
  +
  +
::Seconded. Before there was the www, there was Usenet, a medium with "groups" that everyone could post to. The only way to prevent off-topic discussion that was proven to work was to create new groups for what people wanted to discuss. (Or to pre-moderate a group rigidly, if you found somebody who wanted to the work of doing that. Deleting comments means post-moderation, and that doesn't work so well except in special cases.) This suggests that you can prevent (or at least reduce) off-topic comments on your blogs by providing a place for people to post them (that will have your attention as the blog would), and to announce this on the blogs you wish to "protect". Right now, some people are discovering the New Look FAQ talk pages, and comments are being spread out all over these and over people's personal blogs.
  +
::An idea: Write a short blog post that summarizes current "New Look" criticism (so people won't repeat it all over) and ask for more feedback; link to that from blog posts where people start to post about that and where you don't want them to. --<span class="sigpic">[[User:M.mendel|◄mendel►]]</span> 12:34, October 30, 2010 (UTC)
  +
  +
You know, when I find an off-topic discussion on a wiki talkpage, I'd usally move it to another page where it is on topic (leaving a templated notice about the move). Apparently, with blogs all you can do is delete the comment. Maybe you should talk to your techs about this. --<span class="sigpic">[[User:M.mendel|◄mendel►]]</span> 13:05, October 30, 2010 (UTC)
  +
  +
:A summary blog post sounds like a good idea Mendel. I also want to re-visit blog (and article) comments soon -- having used them so much over the last couple of months, there are a few things I'd like us to consider tweaking. We have anchoring back now, but some sort of "show unread comments" would be handy -- [[User:Sannse|Sannse]]<staff /> <small>([[w:c:community:Forum:Community_Central_Forum|help forum]] | [[w:c:community:Blog:Wikia_Staff_Blog |blog]])</small> 23:05, October 31, 2010 (UTC)

Latest revision as of 23:05, 31 October 2010

Forums: Index Community Central Forum Blog comment moderation
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.

Hi,

The Staff blogs have obviously been more active recently, and we've been trying a few different things there. Recently we closed some older comment threads, so that we could concentrate on more recent ones and on other places like our talk pages. And on the latest blog post, I've been deleting some off-topic comments to try and keep it focused on the subject of that post. The hope is that this will allow those that want to discuss that post from being flooded out with comments about something else, and help the staff reply to questions and comments on that topic (while still continuing to carry on talk page, email, IRC and other conversations about the new look and so on).

We're not fond of deleting any comments (as I'm sure you can see from the many left on other blog posts) so I'm trying to keep it to a minimum.

I'd love some feedback on this experiment, and I'll put this page on my watchlist so we can discuss it here. I'll also leave a comment pointing to this forum page, to explain what's going on.

Thanks all -- Sannse (help forum | blog) 06:03, October 30, 2010 (UTC)

To be honest, if you hadn't mucked things up so much with the new skin, the moderation issue probably wouldn't be needed. C'est la vie. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 11:20 PM PST 29 Oct 2010
I think a blogs comments should related to the topic at hand. I do not think derailing blogs about site speed or accessibility for example to be very mature. We understand your opinions of the "new look", let's keep them to forums and blogs actually about the skin, not those about other things like the aforementioned. --User? 06:39, October 30, 2010 (UTC)
I agree with Fandyllic. The proper response to heavy and overwhelming critisism is not to listen to the focus groups (and then censor things when people still keep complaining), but to look at what your users are saying. Most people didn't comment on the healthy recepies wiki event about the new skin, other then a few people who thought it was a distraction tactic. If you had left one of the posts open, and asked that people stay on topic about site speed. Then I bet the comments about the new skin would mostly stay about how some of the new ads slow down the pages. What's better, having a few comments that are off-topic and the rest of the userbase's anger (about a mistake you guys refuse to own up to) centeralized? Or closing off every avenue so that there's no good place for them to vent their spleens? All you've done is ensured that people get more upset at what's going on at the company, and take it to places where more people can see it.Basilmemories 08:08, October 30, 2010 (UTC)
Seconded. Because none of the literally hundreds of issues, bugs and complaints are addressed, we users will be venting at every available opportunity, on any available forum. Since all my Special:Contact messages have yet to be responded to you can't expect us to all get in line and wait to be ignored. OllieMartin 11:19, October 30, 2010 (UTC)
Seconded. Before there was the www, there was Usenet, a medium with "groups" that everyone could post to. The only way to prevent off-topic discussion that was proven to work was to create new groups for what people wanted to discuss. (Or to pre-moderate a group rigidly, if you found somebody who wanted to the work of doing that. Deleting comments means post-moderation, and that doesn't work so well except in special cases.) This suggests that you can prevent (or at least reduce) off-topic comments on your blogs by providing a place for people to post them (that will have your attention as the blog would), and to announce this on the blogs you wish to "protect". Right now, some people are discovering the New Look FAQ talk pages, and comments are being spread out all over these and over people's personal blogs.
An idea: Write a short blog post that summarizes current "New Look" criticism (so people won't repeat it all over) and ask for more feedback; link to that from blog posts where people start to post about that and where you don't want them to. --◄mendel► 12:34, October 30, 2010 (UTC)

You know, when I find an off-topic discussion on a wiki talkpage, I'd usally move it to another page where it is on topic (leaving a templated notice about the move). Apparently, with blogs all you can do is delete the comment. Maybe you should talk to your techs about this. --◄mendel► 13:05, October 30, 2010 (UTC)

A summary blog post sounds like a good idea Mendel. I also want to re-visit blog (and article) comments soon -- having used them so much over the last couple of months, there are a few things I'd like us to consider tweaking. We have anchoring back now, but some sort of "show unread comments" would be handy -- Sannse (help forum | blog) 23:05, October 31, 2010 (UTC)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.