Community Central
Register
Community Central
No edit summary
(Automated conversion from Wikicities to Wikia)
Line 1: Line 1:
MediaWiki is not blogging software though. Wouldn't an actual blog make more sense for this? Where are people supposed to ask for help now? I don't think a blog post would be the right place for that. Perhaps a separate [[Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Help desk|help desk]] would be better? [[User:Angela|Angela]] ([[Wikicities:User talk:Angela|talk]]) 00:23, 5 Jul 2005 (UTC)
+
MediaWiki is not blogging software though. Wouldn't an actual blog make more sense for this? Where are people supposed to ask for help now? I don't think a blog post would be the right place for that. Perhaps a separate [[Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Help desk|help desk]] would be better? [[User:Angela|Angela]] ([[Wikia:User talk:Angela|talk]]) 00:23, 5 Jul 2005 (UTC)

:Large numbers of people are familiar with blogs. They may be attracted by an easy to use blog-like feature at wikicities. A wikicities help desk sounds useful. --[[User:JWSchmidt|JWSchmidt]] 02:39, 5 Jul 2005 (UTC)

:Large numbers of people are familiar with blogs. They may be attracted by an easy to use blog-like feature at wikicities. A wikicities help desk sounds useful. --[[User:JWSchmidt|JWSchmidt]] 02:39, 5 Jul 2005 (UTC)

==Usefulness of this?==

==Usefulness of this?==
I can not see how this "blog" is useful to Wikicities. What issues is it trying to resolve? Do you have an example of a wiki that has used this concept successfully? I now find the current layout of the community portal distracting. It looks like a [[Wikicities:Sandbox|Sandbox]]. -- [[User:JamesTeterenko|JamesTeterenko]] 10:55, 5 Jul 2005 (UTC)
+
I can not see how this "blog" is useful to Wikia. What issues is it trying to resolve? Do you have an example of a wiki that has used this concept successfully? I now find the current layout of the community portal distracting. It looks like a [[Wikia:Sandbox|Sandbox]]. -- [[User:JamesTeterenko|JamesTeterenko]] 10:55, 5 Jul 2005 (UTC)

:I'm not yet convinced either, but I've put it in a custom namespace for now to make it easier to find all the related pages, and to allow it to be filtered in recent changes etc in the next version of [[MediaWiki]]. [[User:Angela|Angela]] ([[Wikicities:User talk:Angela|talk]]) 05:01, 10 Jul 2005 (UTC)
+
:I'm not yet convinced either, but I've put it in a custom namespace for now to make it easier to find all the related pages, and to allow it to be filtered in recent changes etc in the next version of [[MediaWiki]]. [[User:Angela|Angela]] ([[Wikia:User talk:Angela|talk]]) 05:01, 10 Jul 2005 (UTC)

Revision as of 19:05, 3 April 2006

MediaWiki is not blogging software though. Wouldn't an actual blog make more sense for this? Where are people supposed to ask for help now? I don't think a blog post would be the right place for that. Perhaps a separate help desk would be better? Angela (talk) 00:23, 5 Jul 2005 (UTC)

Large numbers of people are familiar with blogs. They may be attracted by an easy to use blog-like feature at wikicities. A wikicities help desk sounds useful. --JWSchmidt 02:39, 5 Jul 2005 (UTC)

Usefulness of this?

I can not see how this "blog" is useful to Wikia. What issues is it trying to resolve? Do you have an example of a wiki that has used this concept successfully? I now find the current layout of the community portal distracting. It looks like a Sandbox. -- JamesTeterenko 10:55, 5 Jul 2005 (UTC)

I'm not yet convinced either, but I've put it in a custom namespace for now to make it easier to find all the related pages, and to allow it to be filtered in recent changes etc in the next version of MediaWiki. Angela (talk) 05:01, 10 Jul 2005 (UTC)