Community Central
Register
Community Central
Forums: Index Support Requests Anonymous users create more new empty pages since migration to UCP
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 1132 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

I'm an admin on the Duck Game Fandom/Wikia which gets somewhere around 500-1000 visits a day. Since the migration the the new Unified Community Platform I've noticed an uptick in anonymous/IP users creating new empty, blank pages.

They seem to follow the red links in articles to non-existent articles, the page titles are not malicious or totally random. I'm not sure why, maybe visitors get confused and don't know how to exit from the editor?

It's not a huge problem, it happens maybe once or twice a week, but this is still a lot more than before on the old platform.

Is there a way to disallow anonymous users from creating new pages? I found an old discussion here, apparently Fandom admins are able to enforce this temporarily, but it has not become a feature of the Fandom platform as of now (as far as I can see).

Thanks ImbaSteckdose (talk) 22:19, 29 January 2021 (UTC)

You can protect a page and only allow it's creation for autoconfirmed users or administrators, but you would have to do that manually one by one. So you wouldn't be able to just flip a switch for all page creation. What you CAN do, however, is set your wiki so only users who are logged in can contribute at all. I personally have that on one of my wikis that was getting a lot of bad anonymous traffic as well. Zacatero • (Wall) • 15  20  15 22:21, 29 January 2021 (UTC)
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a fan of excluding anonymous users from editing in this case. They provide lots of valuable information and small corrections in this particular Wiki. I don't really get much bad anonymous traffic otherwise. I wish there were more granular controls for this... ImbaSteckdose (talk) 22:26, 29 January 2021 (UTC)
You can always contact Fandom Staff and suggest this! That's the best way to suggest new ideas! Zacatero • (Wall) • 15  20  15 22:36, 29 January 2021 (UTC)
Thank you, I will try that ImbaSteckdose (talk) 23:52, 29 January 2021 (UTC)
Small follow-up from me, I contacted support and they were able to set up a restrcition that prevents anonymous editors from creating new pages. ImbaSteckdose (talk) 14:33, 9 February 2021 (UTC)
I know am late to the conversation and that a solution has already been found. However, I thought I should add that there is TitleBlacklist. TitleBlacklist is an extension which allows wikis to restrict page creation. As such, it might be useful for any future readers who find this conversation. That said, I was under the impression from a previous conversation that it might not be working yet on UCP but it might be worth trying incase it is working by the time someone else reads this.
Andrewds1021 (talk) 04:41, 12 February 2021 (UTC)