This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
I'm annoyed by the welcome bot (User:Wikia), there's something about it that I just can't stand, so I want to know if there's some kind of whitelist of users the bot will ignore. If there is such a list, I want to be added to it. --Elassint 21:14, November 29, 2010 (UTC)
- Not possible currently, sorry. The only workaround is to create your own talk page on a wiki first before making any other edits, then it will not welcome you. --User? 21:41, November 29, 2010 (UTC)
- I think there are some annoying wiki administrators that have set that thing so that you get a welcome message just for visiting the wiki.
- Nidek (Talk) 309 edits made 00:52, November 30, 2010 (UTC)
- The welcome message is customizable, so they can pretty much say whatever the local admins set them to (within reason I hope). It is also disable per wiki by admins as well. All explained on User:Wikia page. --User? 01:30, November 30, 2010 (UTC)
- Yeah, some also give you "achievements" as well --IK Talk 01:07, November 30, 2010 (UTC)
- Those "achievements" are a different feature which features wiki badges, which is an "opt-in" feature rather than one enabled by default everywhere. If a community has badges enabled, there is no way to escape this. Just something to "deal with" on a wiki by wiki basis where applicable :) See the help page for more information. --User? 01:30, November 30, 2010 (UTC)
- Nidek, the welcome bot is on by default; administrators need to find out how to turn it off, and that's usually not on the mind of most wiki founders. They're not going out of their way to annoy you. --◄mendel► 08:31, November 30, 2010 (UTC)
- Ah! Now I see. All those admins are just clueless noobs who don't know how to setup things. Me included.
- I better make that work one of my new year resolutions. :p
- Nidek (Talk) 309 edits made 19:37, November 30, 2010 (UTC)
- Nah, they're not "clueless noobs"; I prefer to call them adepts of the Wikia way. --◄mendel► 01:45, December 1, 2010 (UTC)
I should point out here that disabling the auto-welcome-on-edit "bot" does NOT turn off the create-your-user-page-so-achievements-show-up-when-you-get-your-first-achievement-which-includes-visiting-the-wiki "bot". --Uberfuzzy 08:27, December 1, 2010 (UTC)