Community Central
Community Central
Forums: Index Watercooler Adopting new gaming wikis
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 6091 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.
Leave a message here to adopt a wiki

Wikia will soon be launching more than 80 gaming wikis in nine different languages in association with a gaming site. If you would like to adopt one of these, please leave a message below. The primary role of an adopter is to make the wiki a useful place for gamers to visit by creating content for the wiki. Even if this all you'd like to do, feel free to apply below. Additional roles include dealing with vandalism and spam, setting up a category structure, welcoming new users, developing templates and guidelines for the project, promoting the wiki and drawing in new editors and admins.

The games are World of Warcraft, Vanguard, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Ultima Online, Starcraft 2, Lord of the Rings Online, and Tabula Rasa. The languages are English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.

The only games still needing English speaking admins are Darkfall and Vanguard.

You can also start one of these wikis in any other language by contacting me here.

Angela (talk) 03:25, 16 July 2007 (UTC)

Example post:

* I would like to adopt the German World of Warcraft wiki. ~~~~

Comments

zh vs zh-tw

I see the creation of two Chinese language variants as unnecessarily divisive, when the MW software version we use supports not only character conversions between the simplified and traditional character sets, but also locale-specific lingo conversions. Starting a new wiki in English is hard work, starting an Asian language new wiki using MW software is even harder (since many tags and magic words are in English only).

I'd gladly offer my knowledge and experience to help Chinese-language wikis accommodate both Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese. I'd suggest they only be split if they've grown to a point where there are enough users for each community (for a particular wiki) and that politics on that wiki become a big problem with no neutral admin capable of acting as moderator. -Afker 05:48, 16 July 2007 (UTC)

Good points, Afker; we'll try to take that into account. — Catherine (talk) 03:54, 18 July 2007 (UTC)
After hearing Angie's explanation about Curse, here's my alternative suggestion -- change the "zh" to "zh-cn". "zh-cn" is Simplified Chinese (as used in Mainland China), whereas "zh" is just Chinese in general. As it is right now, for any content on a zh-tw site, general users can just copy everything verbatim onto the zh counterpart and it would be "proper". Then Curse users who expect to see Simplified Chinese might just end up seeing a mirror wiki with Traditional Chinese text anyways (unless the user has configured via their preferences to have MW convert Traditional Characters to Simplified). Making the zh site zh-cn will explicitly tell general users that the site's language is specifically Simplified Chinese.
Overall, I still prefer having just one single "zh" wiki that does Traditional and Simplified character conversions, as opposed to one "zh-cn" for Simplified and one "zh-tw" for Traditional. -Afker 16:53, 19 July 2007 (UTC)

I would like to adopt the Chinese World of Warcraft wiki!I LOVE WOW very very much!

what does "adopt" entail?

Okay, I read Adopt this wiki but I didn't find the answer. If you adopt a wiki, do you have to host it with your computer or something? --JDitto 01:34, 18 July 2007 (UTC)

No, adopting a wiki just means that you become an administrator -- able to protect and delete pages, block troublesome users, and edit the user interface. We are also looking for people who willing to start seeding the wiki with good content, which means page creation, research, and writing, writing, writing! :) — Catherine (talk) 03:54, 18 July 2007 (UTC)

Requests to adopt

creating new wikis

why are we creating new wikis for new games when we could be starting them on GameInfo as mini-wikis? --Drawde83 03:32, 21 July 2007 (UTC)

• Gameinfo serves as a encyclopedia, with one article per game. Other Gaming wikis have larger purposes that aren't well suited to Gameinfo.--Imaginationac (Talk | Edits | Email) 04:11, 21 July 2007 (UTC)
I understand that but, gameinfo does have a section for mini-wikis. Why create whole wikis for games that are not even out yet. It's a bit late since the wikis have already been set up though. --Drawde83 09:01, 21 July 2007 (UTC)
In this case, because we have a partner site who wants to promote these specific wikis, all of which have the potential to become much too large for gameinfo. Angela (talk) 19:23, 22 July 2007 (UTC)

adopt

• I'am not sure which version of World of Warcraft is up for adoption but if it is the English version then I'am very interested since I'am one of the biggest fan and I have been playing the game for sometime now..Thanks..--Cometstyles 19:23, 23 July 2007 (UTC)
The English WoWWiki already has admins (it's our 2nd largest wiki), but the German, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, and Chinese versions still need adopting. Angela (talk) 19:52, 23 July 2007 (UTC)
Why another german WoW-Wiki? At WoW-Wiki.net you can find a german WoW-Wiki with admins and over 1,000 articles. I'm one of the admins and I think we don't need another german WoW-Wiki. You can contact me at my userpage. --Letwin 11:23, 13 August 2007 (UTC)