Community Central
Community Central
Forums: Index Watercooler Admin notice
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 5321 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

In my opinion, we lack an easy means to notify all admins of something. I think it'd be handy if an admin notice could be added. It could work similar to MediaWiki:Sitenotice and MediaWiki:Anonnotice, with the only difference being that it would only be shown to members of the "sysop" and "bureaucrat" user groups.

This way it'd be easier to draw admin attention to something. For example, currently I have to post the same message on 10+ talk pages if I want to get the other admins' input on something or if I want to notify them of some change. With an adminnotice, this would be a lot easier.

Alternatively, a "subscribe to page" feature could be added which would produce a message similar to the "You have new messages" one if a subscribed page is changed. Admins could then subscribe to an admin noticeboard, and other users could also use it for pages changes of which they want to be sure not to miss. I know this is sort of doable with the watchlist but it's easy to miss changes for pages on one's watchlist, especially if you do not monitor RC constantly or have a habit of manually using Special:Watchlist. Overall, I think my first suggestion would be easier to do though. -- Porter21 (talk) 07:55, September 22, 2009 (UTC)

That's quite an interesting idea. However, if we did do a new MW message (Adminnotice or suchlike), I would have one or two concerns - that it's introducing more 'hierarchy' to the wiki, and that the same effect could generally be done more 'openly' via the forums. However, given that it would be entirely optional, that generally shouldn't be an issue. Kirkburn  talk  contr    17:43, September 23, 2009 (UTC)
Well, I tried posting on the forums but it usually results in half of the people missing out on the topic (and I'm pretty sure it'd be the same if we had an admin noticeboard). Might just be a "wiki culture" thing on our wiki I guess, or simply that it's easy to miss out on page changes if you do not watch RC constantly.
I understand your concern - it wasn't something I had thought of previously. It wasn't planned to be some sort of "secret messaging" device, just something to say "please post comments on this page" etc - regular users would still notice the changes to the page when the admins actually do comment and can then comment themselves. My second suggestion would probably suffer less from it since subscribing to the admin noticeboard would be open to anyone who is interested. I just thought the first was easier to do since you basically just have to clone the behaviour of sitenotice and modify it a bit. -- Porter21 (talk) 00:08, September 24, 2009 (UTC)
Why not just make a page in project space and ask each admin to watch that page? Someone who won't or can't is not likely to benefit from a more technically advanced system. JohnBeckett 04:11, September 24, 2009 (UTC)