Community Central
Community Central
Forums: Index Community Central Forum Adding an image from a comic page to an article
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4828 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

I'd like to add an image from a comics page to one of the comics wikis. But I've never done that before. How do I select the image from the page itself, without having to put in the entire page? Please be willing to step-by-step lead me through this...as I said, I've never done it before. —This unsigned comment is by Dpeattie (wallcontribs). Please sign your comments by adding "~~~~" in the source editor.

If you mean a web comic, right click the image and select "save image as". Save it somewhere on your computer, then use Special:Upload to upload it. After that, all you have to do is put [[File:Nameofimage]] on the wiki page you want the picture on.  Monchoman45  Talk  Contribs  Skystone  00:48,1/27/2011 
No, I mean an actual printed on paper comic that's been scanned. How do I select one image or panel from a page there and add it to an article? —This unsigned comment is by Dpeattie (wallcontribs). Please sign your comments by adding "~~~~" in the source editor.
Once it's scanned, you should be able to save the file (try ctrl+s or cmd+s if you can't find the save button). After that, Special:Upload and put it on the wiki page.  Monchoman45  Talk  Contribs  Skystone  12:03,1/27/2011 
There's a tutorial about cropping and resizing images in this blog. --Weas-El Talk|Contribs 12:48, January 27, 2011 (UTC)
On second thought I think that's not really what you're looking for, since you don't know the exact dimensions. I use the free software "Gimp" for editing images. How to use it is described here. --Weas-El Talk|Contribs 13:22, January 27, 2011 (UTC)
Well, I downloaded Gimp, but I can't seem to figure out how to make it do what I want it to do. I can make a file out of the page of the scanned comic that I want, but I want to take one panel from the page and insert that into an article so that there's an image of the character that the article is about. I'm not sure what tool to use for it; I'm not sure how to use any of the tools; and at the moment, I'm not even sure that this is the right software program to use for what I want to do. Dpeattie 02:22, January 28, 2011 (UTC)
Just follow the instructions in this tutorial.
  1. Open the scanned image
  2. Select the crop tool
  3. Click and drag a rectangular shape around the area that you want to use
  4. Double click into the area or just press 'Enter' to execute crop
  5. Save the image (preferably use a different file name)
  6. Upload the new image to your wiki
  7. Add the image to a page
--Weas-El Talk|Contribs 07:47, January 28, 2011 (UTC)