This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
Just noticing on many wikia that I've been to (including the one I admin, trailerpark.wikia.com), that some of the advertisements placed just really interfere with the content. I don't have a problem with the concept of advertising on wikia, because I know this is how it remains free for us to use... my question is simply this: is there any way at all to control where advertisements can appear on a wiki page, or is it just out of our hands?
My major ad-related isssues at the moment:
- I dont mind the banner at the top of the page, but is there a way to have it ABOVE the article title? A banner ad between the title and the article body just looks awful.
- The 'I got a check from the canadian government, you can too' ads are all over my wikia. It's a complete and utter scam, is there any way to avoid having that one show up at all?
- Some of the flash animated ads just annoy by covering the article body as they do their thing.
- The square formatted ads which sometimes appear inset into the first paragraph of the article are less annyoing, but they are out of place because they have nothing to do with the article, and having them inset like that makes it seem like they do, thus taking over attention, from the article content.
I'm sure I'm not the first person to complain about ad placement, but if there is a way to resolve this, or tweak it so the ads aren't in the article space, I'd like to hear about it. I don't care if the ads are in the sidebar where the widgets are, at the bottom following the article proper -- even having a break in the article and a few ads in before a section, wouldn't be so bad, really.
I'm not even concerned with the number of ads -- in fact I could even abide more... but I'm a graphic designer, I have been for many years, and the way that I see ads tossed randomly in Wikia is really visually unappealing and flies in the face of the information people want to write about. I dunno... just hoping there is a tweak for this I haven't found yet.Randomtox 02:11, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
- The only tweak is to tell all your users to go to their preferences remove the check that make the ads appear.
- No, you're not the only to complain :
- I too doesn't like the ad block floated left that appear right after a section title; i would prefer it to the right. I wouln't mind either a banner after the content of each section but that's just me.
- You can report bads ads : http://help.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Bad_advertisements
- — TulipVorlax 03:51, 1 September 2009 (UTC)