Community Central
Community Central

Is there a way to rename/erase IRC channels? ProtoStealth 16:30, June 1, 2010 (UTC)

You need to be a channel founder and drop the chanenl (/msg chanserv help drop), then remake it. Please note that Wikia channels need to start with #wikia- --User? 16:37, June 1, 2010 (UTC)
And how can one create a IRC channel, exactly? ProtoStealth 16:39, June 1, 2010 (UTC)
/msg chanserv help register --User? 16:52, June 1, 2010 (UTC)
And that only works with client-ed channels? ProtoStealth 16:58, June 1, 2010 (UTC)
Hrm? That will work regardless of how you're connected to IRC, however it is recommend that you use a standalone IRC client, as Wikia's IRC gateway is laggy and prone to randomly disconnect users. --User? 17:13, June 1, 2010 (UTC)

Cloaks?

The page that is linked to on cloaks has been deleted. Is it possible to use a cloak? It goes so fast, I can't identify before I join the room with my IP address revealed. WiseWoman (talk) 21:36, December 17, 2012 (UTC)

Wikia no longer gives out cloaks with the Wikia affiliation (though you can always ask Freenode for an unaffiliated cloak, which looks something like ~kvirc@unaffiliated/catuse as opposed to ~kvirc@YourIPAddress.YourISPProvider.net.
I suggest you log on to Freenode, log in (/msg NickServ identify YourUsernameHere YourPasswordHere) and then /join ##wikia.
The CGI:IRC Gateway doesn't work with cloaks, sadly, so you'll always get something like 8deea4e3@gateway/web/freenode/ip.YourIPAddressHere unless you get an actual client.
But yeah, don't /join any channels until you're logged in to freenode unless you have your client set up to auto-log in for you. Cat (meowhunt) 05:03, December 18, 2012 (UTC)