Community Central
Community Central
(My thoughts on admin policies on individual Wikicities)
(Automated conversion from Wikicities to Wikia)
Line 3: Line 3:

:Yes, but they should agree to the nomination before they become admins. [[User:Angela|Angela]] 18:54, 4 Apr 2005 (EDT)

:Yes, but they should agree to the nomination before they become admins. [[User:Angela|Angela]] 18:54, 4 Apr 2005 (EDT)

==Individual Wikicities==
+
==Individual Wikia==

I presume each should have its own page modelled on this page? [[User:Robin Patterson|Robin Patterson]] 23:46, 18 Jul 2005 (UTC)

I presume each should have its own page modelled on this page? [[User:Robin Patterson|Robin Patterson]] 23:46, 18 Jul 2005 (UTC)

:I don't believe that every Wikicity needs to have a formal policy on becoming an administrator. See [[Common mistakes#Applying too many policies]]. The bar for becoming an admin is very different depending on the wiki. Look at my adminship on various wikis:

:I don't believe that every Wikicity needs to have a formal policy on becoming an administrator. See [[Common mistakes#Applying too many policies]]. The bar for becoming an admin is very different depending on the wiki. Look at my adminship on various wikis:

:* I became a bureaucrat on the [[Calgary]] wiki just because I asked for its creation.

:* I became a bureaucrat on the [[Calgary]] wiki just because I asked for its creation.
:* I became an [[Wikicities:Administrators|Administrator]] here becase I was already an admin on the Calgary wiki and of the few Wikicities regulars, no one objected within a week after I expressed interest
+
:* I became an [[Wikia:Administrators|Administrator]] here becase I was already an admin on the Calgary wiki and of the few Wikia regulars, no one objected within a week after I expressed interest

:* I am up for [[Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Requests for adminship|adminship]] on Wikipedia with a couple more oppose votes so far. It appears likely to pass, but a couple of oppose votes would knock it down.

:* I am up for [[Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Requests for adminship|adminship]] on Wikipedia with a couple more oppose votes so far. It appears likely to pass, but a couple of oppose votes would knock it down.

Revision as of 16:01, 6 April 2006

So, are we allowed to nominate others? – Jello2 17:25, 4 Apr 2005 (EDT)

Yes, but they should agree to the nomination before they become admins. Angela 18:54, 4 Apr 2005 (EDT)

Individual Wikia

I presume each should have its own page modelled on this page? Robin Patterson 23:46, 18 Jul 2005 (UTC)

I don't believe that every Wikicity needs to have a formal policy on becoming an administrator. See Common mistakes#Applying too many policies. The bar for becoming an admin is very different depending on the wiki. Look at my adminship on various wikis:
  • I became a bureaucrat on the Calgary wiki just because I asked for its creation.
  • I became an Administrator here becase I was already an admin on the Calgary wiki and of the few Wikia regulars, no one objected within a week after I expressed interest
  • I am up for adminship on Wikipedia with a couple more oppose votes so far. It appears likely to pass, but a couple of oppose votes would knock it down.
Generally, the more users on a wiki, the harder it is to become an administrator. And this makes sense to me. If we go back to the Calgary wiki, I would make any remotely regular contributor an admin if they wanted it. One reason for my confidence, is that I read EVERY edit on the Calgary wiki. I would clearly be able to monitor the actions. If anything was done that was inappropriate, I could intervene quite easily. I guess I'll go update the Calgary wiki to invite people to request adminship.
But hey, this is just my opinion. -- JamesTeterenko 16:41, 22 Jul 2005 (UTC)