Community Central
Community Central

RfA Blurb

Hi, I'm Cometstyles, I have been on Wikia since May 2007 and on Central since since June. I'am a Bureaucrat on Rugbyunion and the Mortal Kombat and an admin on 4 others including Harry Potter and Terminator. On Central wikia, my job has been firstly going around many of our wikis and seeing if they are active and if not notify the founders and tag the main page for adoption and also look through recent changes of this wikis and report any vandalism or revert it myself and then tag those wikis on Central appropriately. Admins can see my deletion log for all those spam and vandalism articles I have tagged, I also report and revert vandalism that may be happening on any other wikis on IRC to the wiki's admins or Janitors. Recently on Central there has been a rise in vandalism, mainly spam and being and admin, I can counter it easily and get rid of it if its deemed inappropriate. I also look after the Featured Wikia and select those wikis that have the highest votes per month and creates blurbs and add them as the Featured wiki for that month and because most of these pages are protected, due to vandalism, as an admin I can do it with ease and on time ..

If you need to ask anymore questions, Please do so in the comments section or e-mail me if need be..I'll be happy to reply :)..--Cometstyles 05:26, 9 February 2008 (UTC)

Support

• Support Support --User? 05:31, 9 February 2008 (UTC)

Support Support --Ryan (talk) 23:53, 15 February 2008 (UTC)

• Support Support The opposes are baseless. John Reaves (talk) 00:49, 17 February 2008 (UTC)
  • Support. No objections. If Cometstyles wants to fight vandals, let him do it. John Reaves is right. Медиа (Wassily Steik) 11:18, 17 February 2008 (EST)

Oppose

Oppose symbol Oppose -- The final spark was this page where he posts comments. Tomsen (talk) 16:45, 16 February 2008 (EST)

Oppose symbol Oppose -- What a user does off of Wikia and its sites is their own business, but posting and supporting something like that on Wikia isn't something that I'd expect from a Central administrator—especially since, speaking from recent experiences, that page has just recently caught the attention of Staff and others. Greyman(Paratus) 23:03, 16 February 2008 (UTC)

Oppose symbol Oppose. No. --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 23:04, 16 February 2008 (UTC)

Oppose symbol Oppose -- Reinstating opposition due to the recent discovery. Also, I take that back about not caring about the personal attacks (see below), doing something downright vicious like that really is unbefitting of anyone, especially a Central Admin. --Skizzerz talk 18:09, 16 February 2008 (EST)

Oppose symbol Oppose -- Phillip (talk) 23:26, 16 February 2008 (UTC)

Oppose symbol Oppose Due to the discovery I can no longer support. --Ryan (talk) 23:39, 16 February 2008 (UTC)

Does it matter to anyone that this thread and it's comments were made 6 months ago? --User? 23:58, 16 February 2008 (UTC)
Yes, I can't speak for others, but I was aware of that when I voted. And, unfortunately, I do have to stand by what I said above. Greyman(Paratus) 00:00, 17 February 2008 (UTC)
Does it matter that you aren't Cometstyles and therefore shouldn't be speaking/replying for him? --Skizzerz talk 00:03, 17 February 2008 (UTC)
Absolutely Brilliant - No one is allowed to have a SENSE OF HUMOUR, I should have known that when I joined wikia since people here seems to really understand what wikia is really all about and some of those that opposed for that reason above, shame, I thought you guys were better, and BTW THAT IS THE GAMING WIKIA WHERE THERE ARE 100'S OF THOSE PICS and I'm not the only one that posted on it since other bigger editors also post there for example DCMan007 ,and old long time contributor of the Gaming Wikia and opposing me on that is the lowest anyone can get, Shame, and anywayz, My Comments were DESCENT UNLESS YOUR ENGLISH IS POOR AND YOU DON'T HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR THEN YOU WON'T UNDERSTAND, sad to see that again I'm being opposed for something I didn't do on Central and btw, the RfA ended a day ago so everything after that is I don't know and those that Know me from IRC know that i have a sense of humour and thanks a lot for bringing me down to earth and making me realize that sense of humor are not for geeks but people with a real life.. Thanks a lot...--Cometstyles 00:06, 17 February 2008 (UTC)
I'm not sure getting too oversensitive about it will help, but these comments were made literally just after he joined Wikia. Opposing for this reason, especially a pile-on oppose, is a silly and straw-grasping reason to oppose. The users global contributions to Wikia, and wikis in general far outweigh an opinion about a girl wearing video game consoles/accessories for clothes posted several months ago. Given the content of certain wikis I've seen, the picture in question is relatively harmless, as are the comments associated with it. Making such hardly disqualifies someone from adminship. --User? 01:28, 17 February 2008 (UTC)
Well I'm not being over-sensitive, thanks Charitwo :). ..but this maybe the 4 baseless allegations against me and this is getting really tiring....--Cometstyles 05:06, 17 February 2008 (UTC)

Oppose symbol Oppose Immaturity "at its Best." —Миша13 14:33, 17 February 2008 (UTC)

Oppose symbol Oppose I think he is too immature. Also, there are some instances on en.wiki that he doesn't know what kind of role an administrator has in the community. Real96 20:03, 17 February 2008 (UTC)
Immaturity, please speak for yourself, I tried to defend my RfA since this is another round of baseless allegations as you can see one right below and if I can't defend it and l keep my mouth shut then it will be seen as truth and my reputation tarnished, this is not the right way to piss of someone, and I can see whats happening here, something I saw happening a long time ago and Real96 "Wikipedia IS NOT Wikia ", you should try to read that, and those instances you are talking about were one of these where people opposed me for trying to defend my own RfA..sorry but I don't see it your way and Misza, Immaturity, I doubt you even know what immaturity is ?...again I was opposed on baseless arguments, Thanks for the effort and yeah the cabal...--Cometstyles 02:39, 18 February 2008 (UTC)

Comments

Oppose symbol Oppose (see below): Only 785 edits??!? that's not nearly enough to be a Central admin! Sorry for the overly-sarcastic tone, but here's my point on this. You seem to have no knowledge whatsoever about how experience is gained. You appear to be under the assumption that the only way to get experience with things is by doing them, which is truly unbefitting of an administrator. If you cannot learn about something by reading and observing, then I really cannot see how you can be expected to uphold policies and common practices here on Central. Also, your etiquette on IRC leaves much to be desired. You openly talk negatively about people you don't like when they are not on, which goes against working out differences face-to-face to better a community. With all things considered, these actions strongly overwhelm the positive contributions that you do make, and thus I am against your adminship here on Central. --Skizzerz talk 21:34, 10 February 2008 (UTC)

(comments moved from oppose section)
again..Mis-interpreted, ..Skizzerz I do know how experience is gained and it has nothing to do with how much you edit, believe me a person with 55 edits on Wikipedia will have no chance and his RfA will be WP:SNOWED within minutes. I opposed you because of your lack of edits on Central and it saddens me too see that you have grudges against me because I never thought you did..To be a Central admin, you need to have experience on Central with vast amount of edit experience and that counts for every wiki in the world. I kept on repeating to everyone to see Wikia:RfA/Charitwo as to the reason of my oppose which you didn't and I will once again emphasize it again..Manticore and I disagreed with Charitwo's first RfA because his edit count was low and most of his edits were to simple and did not count as much and if you look at Daniel Friesen's [explanation, its exactly what I was trying to say without writing an article on it and regarding the IRC etiquette, I think I know what you are talking about but incidentally thats conversation happened on a bad day for me because I was already battling vandals on couple of other Wikimedia wikis who kept irritating me and admins on those wikis being slow to get them, That was just one-day, It seems you haven't been on IRC much or else you would know I'm not like that normally and since I'am usually on over 50 channels on IRC, I don't actually have time to talk to each individual on all problems they have on IRC but if they ping me or PM me I always help them and a couple of IRC goers will vouch for me on that, "If you cannot learn about something by reading and observing, then I really cannot see how you can be expected to uphold policies and common practices here on Central"<< reading polices and understanding them is ok but if you don't out them t task then you have learnt nothing. You really need to be involved with the community and take part of the community stuff to be accepted by the community and you comments above really didn't mean anything thing , since I have been on Central, I have been taking part in all forms of wikia governing policies and even help rewrite and fix some. and finally regarding " You openly talk negatively about people you don't like when they are not on, which goes against working out differences face-to-face to better a community.", I don't know what you are basing this on, since I never talk about negatively about any Wikians on IRC even if they are there or not and if you have any proof, please provide it or discuss this with me on IRC since IRC logs shouldn't be used on Central as shown on Manticore's RfA..and btw, your "overly-sarcastic tone" isn't helping your cause since I was never rude on your RfA, I'm not sure why you are on mine and if you look at all my so-called "Only 785 edits??!?", you will see I have been editing in general and to all spaces (Main, template, category, Wikia (those which aren't protected), forum, Help and Images) and if you have opposed me on any of those edits, I would have gladly accepted it but sadly you opposed me on something totally different and something unrelated to Central and my abilities and that saddens me ..--Cometstyles 04:10, 11 February 2008 (UTC)
I opposed you based on the impressions that I made of you in the above statement I made (minus the edit count thing, which was meant to be nothing more than a sarcastic joke that lead into my first point. You edits have been top-notch for the most part). As for experience, editing is by far not the only source for it, which you seem to like to express. Consider this analogy: In a job shadow, you watch someone doing their job, but you yourself do not take part. You still gain experience from it all the same that will help you if you decide to get into that career. Wikis work the same way. Simply observing will allow one to grasp the concept of what the community is like, what to do in certain situations, etc. No editing is even required for gaining said experience, contrary to your opinion (or my -- and quite a few others -- interpretations of your opinion). I also am well aware that IRC is not a basis for wikis, but it does tell a lot about someone's behavior and personality. There was definately more than one instance where you were talking about people (Wikians even, so that's a nice lie you just made) behind their back, and quite a few people have logs to prove it. Of course, I'm not going to paste them here or anything, but I'm just mentioning that they exist. Also, since when do people have a different set of abilities depending on where they are at the moment. I know that no matter what website, etc. I visit, I keep the same abilities everywhere I go. I should assume that is no different for you, which is why I'm bringing up IRC. And finally, do I have a grudge against you? No, I do not. That just happens to be another negative assumption you made about someone, kinda like assuming that people are inexperienced because they don't edit frequently here. That's not going in your favor in terms of "assuming good faith" now, is it? And if you're going to retaliate with "Wikia isn't Wikipedia", then why did you yourself mention Wikipedia in your reply. --Skizzerz talk 02:18, 12 February 2008 (UTC)
I think your understanding of what Wikia is all about is really not that good, again I reiterate..with an example.. "If a person has been on wikia for 3 years but never made any edits or less than 100 than goes for an RfA saying that he is qualified enough saying that in the 3 years he has been on wikia, he has been studying all the polices and watching every edit made and learning from it, do you think anyone will believe him..well definitely not any right-minded people, we need proof of what you have learn and unless you edit, there is no way of knowing if he is telling the truth or lying and I was giving wikipedia as an example where such RfA's will be thrown out the window simply because the editor "has hardly made any edits or is inexperienced even though he has been on the wiki for 3 years or because he doesn't know anything about the policies or else he won't be even having an RfA, I think you believe experienced is gained form watching other people edit, this is not the case and it never shouldn't be, unless you edit that wiki, people will never really know what your abilities are unless you prove to them by "editing" frivously for a couple of month showing what you can do and how you can handle everything thrown at you but without that indication, no one is cut-out to be an admin, I gave wikipedia as an example since its only one of those wikis out there who has a really good policy when it comes to RfA. Maybe you don't understand that the wiki that you maybe be a crat/sysop on has different policies compared to this wiki and since Central policies is what binds all the wikis together, we need to have editors that know a lot about Central Policies to be admins than someone whose knowledge of what Central is all about is limited or not present at all. <<"kinda like assuming that people are inexperienced because they don't edit frequently here. That's not going in your favor in terms of "assuming good faith" now, is it?>>" I don't think you really know what 'assuming good faith' is do you?.. it has nothing to do with how much a person edits but how he edits, if a person is a newbie, then his minor mistakes are forgotten and not made into something bigger. Well your attacks on me basing on something that may not have happened will cause anyone to believe that you have a grudge an me and the way you emphasized the amount of edits I have is a bit like taunting me for opposing your RfA on that basis and "There was definitely more than one instance where you were talking about people (Wikians even, so that's a nice lie you just made) behind their back," <you just called me a liar, Please these are all childish stuff, and I thought once you became an admin here, you will outgrow all of it, maybe I was wrong and maybe all your baltant accusations on me has no real basis, but all these time all you did was oppose me on:
  1. having more ("Only 785 edits??!?") edits than you
  2. opposing your RfA and taunting me for it
  3. Making baseless claims because you think I'm not suited for being an admin
    All these doesn't make any sense and as I said above, I would have been happy if you have opposed me on something I did here on Central Wikia and questioning my experiences and ability as to being an admin but sadly you chose the other path, I'am sorry, but if these aren't personal grudges then I don't know what is and finally you ignored me for 2 hours on IRC not replying to my queries and if you don't want to solve these problems, don't fabricate them to malign other editors who really want to help wikia..Thanks... --Cometstyles 03:29, 12 February 2008 (UTC)
I have said this time and again, and I know you think otherwise, but this is the absolute truth. The part about how many edits you made was merely a sarcastic comment leading into the main body of the oppose paragraph. It was not meant as a personal attack, or even a basis of my opposition, and I am sorry that you took it as one. I now know that it was a tacky and wrong thing to do, but I cannot undo it. All I can do is apologize, which you don't seem to want to accept. I'm also nicely disregarding the approximately 10 personal attacks you made against me in the last paragraph. Also, this has nothing to do specifically with my RfA, but merely how you viewed experience. Of course, now that you explained your view, I can now see where you're getting from when you made that comment on many a RfA and elsewhere. When you say I made "baseless" claims, that is entirely untrue. I make my claims based on what I presently know, and form opinions and assumptions based on those facts. Now that you've explained yourself a bit more, yes I do agree that the claims I made lost their baseline. Therefore, I am withdrawing my opposition to your RfA, but I feel that I cannot support you yet. Sorry. --Skizzerz talk 04:07, 12 February 2008 (UTC)