FANDOM

(Created page with "I'm an admin on an online game wiki (w:c:rappelz). Lately, I decided to turn an infobox into a 'data-driven' one: all the data is in a lua table, and instead of just put...")

Line 11: Line 11:

Has it been done before , how has it been received, is it possible to "train" the users and tell them "Hey, the visual editor will not work here, go to ''that page'' and edit the text between the quotes instead", are there other strategies for this (I guess I could write a bot script that would produce similar results...)?

Has it been done before , how has it been received, is it possible to "train" the users and tell them "Hey, the visual editor will not work here, go to ''that page'' and edit the text between the quotes instead", are there other strategies for this (I guess I could write a bot script that would produce similar results...)?

Thanks!<ac_metadata title="Is data driven infoboxes a good idea?"> </ac_metadata>
+
Thanks!
  +
  +
--
  +
Edit: As a side note, I have checked back and the infoboxes in questions have not been touched by me or another active user since at least 2015. We don't get a lot of "fly by edits". <ac_metadata title="Is data driven infoboxes a good idea?"> </ac_metadata>

Latest revision as of 04:27, November 7, 2019

I'm an admin on an online game wiki (w:c:rappelz).

Lately, I decided to turn an infobox into a 'data-driven' one: all the data is in a lua table, and instead of just putting an infobox on the target page, I invoke the module that loads the data and produces the infobox on the spot.

The basic model-view approach.

The data is not subject to change often, and when it is subject, all the data should be reviewed, not only a couple of entries.

While this will improve a lot the global look and feel of all the infoboxes that use this infrastructure (I can update all the data in one evening, all the text look alike, etc..), it also has a theoretical effect of turning down some potential editors who only use the visual editor because that's only what they know of.

Has it been done before , how has it been received, is it possible to "train" the users and tell them "Hey, the visual editor will not work here, go to that page and edit the text between the quotes instead", are there other strategies for this (I guess I could write a bot script that would produce similar results...)?

Thanks!

-- Edit: As a side note, I have checked back and the infoboxes in questions have not been touched by me or another active user since at least 2015. We don't get a lot of "fly by edits".

Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.