FANDOM

(Created page with "<div class="quote"> Master Conjurer wrote: <div class="quote"> Fandyllic wrote: <div class="quote"> Citrusellaeditswikis wrote: I'm pretty sure Wikia's issue is they don't wa...")

Line 14: Line 14:

</div>

</div>

I thought it was on a fork of MediaWiki that's different enough from base installation that they can't just... update MediaWiki and take advantage of fixes in the... let's call it WMF version. Hence why their "party line" is that their wikis ''say'' they're still on 1.19 (despite the most recent MW being... what, 1.28?) but their "functionality" is "closer to a more recent version of MediaWiki" or something.
+
I thought it was on a fork of MediaWiki that's different enough from base installation that they can't just... update MediaWiki and take advantage of fixes in the... let's call it WMF version. Hence why their "party line" is that their wikis ''say'' they're still on 1.19 (despite the most recent MW being... what, <s>1.28?</s> it's 1.30) but their "functionality" is "closer to a more recent version of MediaWiki" or something.

Latest revision as of 03:36, May 24, 2018

Master Conjurer wrote:

Fandyllic wrote:

Citrusellaeditswikis wrote:

I'm pretty sure Wikia's issue is they don't want to have to run parallel tracking systems or something.

I think you nailed it. However, the newer MediaWiki engine may have been preparing for GDPR long ago, so they really don't need to do anything. And if that's the case, Wikia can't get that benefit due to the fork, so it may still be an issue.

I'm pretty sure Wikia is still on MediaWiki, even though it isn't on its default skin.

I thought it was on a fork of MediaWiki that's different enough from base installation that they can't just... update MediaWiki and take advantage of fixes in the... let's call it WMF version. Hence why their "party line" is that their wikis say they're still on 1.19 (despite the most recent MW being... what, 1.28? it's 1.30) but their "functionality" is "closer to a more recent version of MediaWiki" or something.

Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.