FANDOM

• Sarah Manley

The past year at Wikia has been a busy one with lots of new features, tools and community members! We are continually working to make Wikia a fun place to meet, collaborate and build wikis with people who love the topics you love.

While we always work to develop solid features, we also regularly take dedicated time to review and resolve reported bug issues. This past week our Engineering Team focused on resolving over 100 bugs, while others in the office used the time to talk about ideas for future features on Wikia.

The community has been an amazing resource for finding and reporting bugs across the site, and we greatly appreciate this. If you run into a bug on Wikia, please let us know. We will continue to review and resolve bugs as quick…

Read more >
  • J.Ripkowski

Wiki vs Blogs

May 18, 2010 by J.Ripkowski

Wiki is a piece of server software that allows users to freely create and edit Web page content using any Web browser. Wiki supports hyperlinks and has a simple text syntax for creating new pages and cross links between internal pages on the fly.

A blog is a sort of online journal. It is updated whenever the author desires. A wiki is a platform that is meant for anyone to update in real time. A blog is owned by an individual whereas wiki is being updated by many people around the world.

Blog posts are usually one persons' opinion, followed by comments. A wiki can host a blog, but not vice-versa.

Wiki:

- Multiple Authors,

- Edited by a group or team,

- Contains links to other Wiki pages,

- Continuously changing and growing rapidly,

- Many…

Read more >
  • Dǐll Kevlar

Favicon

May 14, 2010 by Dǐll Kevlar

If you require staff help, please use Special:Contact or community@wikia.com to be sure of a staff reply. --> Hello,

I was wondering on how you change the favourites logo. This can be seen on the favourites bar on newer internet explorers and firefox. For example: Wikia's 'favourites logo' is a blue 'W'. This is also the default one for all wikis. Thank you, -Imdill3

Upload the one you want to , see Help:Favicon for more info. — Balistic
    Awesome! Kudos!! -Imdill316:28, May 14, 2010 (UTC)
    Read more >
  • Sarah Manley

If you haven't noticed, Wikia is quite an international place. With wikis in 226 languages, we think it's time to cheer on our international wiki communities which are growing so quickly. Topping the ranks, with an impressive 1000% growth in traffic in 2009, are .

Overall, Spanish and German language wikis have experienced tremendous growth recently with active users across the 10,000 Spanish wikis increasing 35% since December 2009. Que Bueno! One of the most stellar Spanish wikis has been WikiRespuestas, an answers wiki, which has almost 3 million monthly pageviews and more than 50,000 questions (with more than 50% answered)! There are currently more than 6,000 German wikis, including Drakensang 2, which has seen explosive growth in weekl…

Read more >
  • Sarah Manley

Ever wish you knew as soon as a new blog post went live? Or when a new page was added to your favorite category? Well now you can!

Today we released a new "followed pages" feature, which allows you to receive notification when there are changes to a category page or when a new blog post is submitted. So now you can watch this blog and get an email whenever there is a new post. This is a great way to keep up to date with all the latest news and happenings on your wiki and across Wikia.

Followed pages also gives you new ways to follow changes on your favorite wikis. On your header you will see that "Watch" has been replaced by "Follow". When you choose to follow a page, it will be added to your followed pages list, and the most recently chang…

Read more >
  • Sarah Manley

Just a quick announcement that tomorrow May 5th at 11am PDT David Beall of SFHomeless Wiki will be participating in a webinar hosted by Techsoup called, "Collaborate with Wiki". The webinar is geared towards non-profit groups who are interested in learning more about how to use wikis. The description states, "this free webinar will review the basics of wikis, including software options, best practices, advantages, as well as drawbacks. It will also include discussions with a nonprofit professional and librarian, both of whom are effectively using wikis."

If you are interested in joining the webinar, please sign up on Techsoup. You can also join the event in Second Life.

It should be an interesting discussion on the different ways wikis are b…

Read more >
  • BulldozerD11

As the various minor updates (such as the hearts replacing stars for the ratings icon) appear to go out unannounced (and thus annoy users) and even major ones are often only found out about afterwards due to the way blogs work and it is not feasible for staff to issue a site notice for all of them, can i propose a new section is added to the Community central area.

A Wikia Staff only page is added and the updates are listed (latest at the top style) with a brief description of the update & perhaps a link to more info / a blog page on it (in the case of major changes). Then admins from wikis who are interested in what is happening can have the page (updates list) on their watch list & changes will show up as i think (i may be wrong) that th…

Read more >
  • Sarah Manley

Wikis are great resources for all sorts of topics, from games, to TV shows as well as question and answers sites. Below you can learn more about wikis that exist to provide valuable information to parents, guardians, new home owners and families. Read on and enjoy!

Children's books wiki is dedicated to creating a helpful place to find good literature for children of all ages. The books described here include both those for children to read, as well as books for parents to read aloud to their children. The wiki was started in May 2008 and has almost 500 content pages, including information on many titles that are out-of-print and can be hard to find. Over the past year, a number of changes have taken place including updates to the skin and t…

Read more >
  • RaikuLuciferSamiyaza

Help

April 22, 2010 by RaikuLuciferSamiyaza

How do I get my username changed on all the Wikies?

Read more >
  • I-20

Dear Wikia: Support Vector

April 21, 2010 by I-20

Vector is a new skin in MediaWiki 1.16. When you upgrade, please let us use it. Reasons:

• Vector has larger text for the stuff
    • Vector is simple and streamlined
    • Vector is still blue but apt to many

To see how Vector looks, visit this link on Wikipedia.

I hope to see Vector on Wikia.

Read more >
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.