FANDOM

• MisterWoodhouse

Hey gang!

Hope you all had safe and joyous holidays :)

As 2021 kicks off, let’s talk about search engine optimization (SEO) or, most succinctly, Keeping Google Happy. Some of you already know this, but it bears repeating often: search results account for the overwhelming majority of visits to the platform, with 90% of total traffic to the wikis originating from Google searches. It is the primary source of any established wiki’s traffic by a wide margin. There are no exceptions. None. This is a result of Google recognizing that the Fandom platform of wikis is the #1 authority on imagined worlds and, thus, reward your wikis with top search results. It is a fantastic way to attract an audience which is intently interested in the content covered …

Read more >
  • MisterWoodhouse

State of Video 2020

December 22, 2020 by MisterWoodhouse

Hey gang!

It has been just over a year since we introduced The Loop as our new video series going into the JW Player at the top of select wiki pages, in many cases replacing the Featured Video content from years past. As we continue to gather data and experiment with different video types, I wanted to give you a recap of the work we have done and what you can expect from us in 2021.

For those of you who are new, JW Player is a video unit which shows up at the top of an article page for logged out users (and logged in users who set their preferences as such) once per community visit and plays The Loop or Featured Video content. What is The Loop? It is a weekly, vertical-specific mini show produced by Fandom’s original content team to cover th…

Read more >
  • MisterWoodhouse

Hey gang!

Today, I am thrilled to announce that a long-requested feature is getting its first release: search for Discussions posts!

New in the Special:Search page on the Unified Community Platform is a Posts option which allows you to search through Discussions posts. This has been a major user request since we first launched Discussions.

For now, default search behavior will not change, so you’ll need to enter Special:Search to get to the Post search tab. This first release is desktop-only and will not include Discussions results in the Everything tab or advanced search options. Next year, we plan to start experimenting to see how we can best surface relevant Discussions content in additional ways while respecting user intent with their sear…

Read more >
  • FishTank

State of Mobile 2021

December 15, 2020 by FishTank

There has never before been a time when our digital habits have so radically changed in a short period. How we experience streaming media, games, and the world outside our homes have dramatically shifted. Even if — over the last 6 months — we have gone outside less often, our relationships with computers and mobile phones have also changed. We would like to follow up on some of our earlier bulletins and describe the trends before and during the global pandemic, and where we are projecting they are going in 2021.

Spoiler alert: the mobile revolution continues, stronger than ever.

Fandom users have crafted a fantastic assortment of wikis since the beginning of the platform. The care and voice of wikis is evident in the rich experiences shown o…

Read more >
  • MisterWoodhouse

Hey gang!

Just a short announcement from me today. We have changed the permission set on Community Central today and restricted the blog creation permission to moderators and up. This is due to the fact that the overwhelming majority of blogs created on Community Central are either spam or in the wrong place.

This is the first step we’re taking in a multi-step plan with our admin team to make Community Central more focused and less noisy.

The ability to reply to blog posts is unchanged. The ability to create blog posts on your wikis has not changed. This was simply about creating new blog posts on this specific wiki.

Thanks!

Read more >
  • WikipediaUserbox

Talk about ucp here

https://azzys-epic-corner.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Chat

Read more >
  • Hiimcoollol

i don't know what happens but literally made like 5 accounts and the abuse filter blocks me for "page blanking" which im pretty sure i never done or it was upon accident

Read more >
  • Palmboi

Why UCP is good

December 8, 2020 by Palmboi

This is not meant to hate any other thing. This is just my opinion. You may have other opinions. I just want to say this.

UCP a is good because we can actually update it. Also I noticed that Legacy can be laggy.

Live chat was an outdated piece of crap that nobody uses because of something called discord. You all are complaining because it’s gone but you never used it( Don’t worry I used to also be like this.)

The automated messages are just a way to annoy somebody by responding. It also is annoying for admins to keep on explaining that it is an automated message. Since I joined fandom I hated that feature

Way less confusing. Also looks WAY better in my opinion.

This is really useful especially for the wiki I am a bureaucrat on. I needed to make s…

Read more >
  • Amelia GamePlayz

Hey there. I'm the founder of the Adopt Me Fan Ideas Wiki. I have founded the wiki on 8th December, 2020.

Adopt Me is a ROBLOX game developed by DreamCraft. It was built at 2017 and has 18B+ visits. There are around 300,000 players in the game per day and got favourited 17.2M times! It was last updated at December 1st, 2020.

Adopt Me Fan Ideas Wiki is to create fan-made concepts and items including pets, potions, upgrades, eggs, shop and maybe even a whole update! The wiki is dead, and we need you to make it alive. It has 168 edits by 0 active users to 1 articles, with 1 image uploaded and 1 administrator(s) operating the wiki.

Please note that it is only for Fan Content! To see the official Adopt Me! Wiki, see Adopt Me! Wiki. Real pages on the…

Read more >
  • ArchAngel217

1. All right, I really hate it when people complain about UCP, it makes me sick. Those of you complaining about it, just shut up. Higher-ups like C.Syde, Tupka, and Mr. Woodhouse ( not necassarily in that order ) have put up with it for so long, which is an amazing feat; those guys are awesome. Anyways, UCP is not all bad like the complainers say. Wikis still have a lot of benificial traits, though Legacy may have been a bit better. 

2. As of December of 2020, UCP IS UNFINISHED. If you're still gonna complain about it, you might as well suggest things that could make it better, e.g. "bring back classic editor." 

3. ( This one is not related to UCP ) Sorry, I know that I talk like an admin, I'm not one. It just makes me sick when people criti…

Read more >
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.