Community Central
Community Central

らり牛ちゃん らり牛ちゃん 3 August 2016

A guide to effective linking

What is a link?

A link, also know as an anchor, is a special bit of text that, when clicked on, moves a user from one page to another. This makes links a great tool to have, especially when thinking of ways to help visitors find their way through your wiki.

It is of utmost importance that you utilize links to assist visitors in navigating to related content but it is also equally important to not over use links. When creating a link you must first ask yourself if the link you are going to create will add any value to the article on which you plan to create it. For instance, adding a link from a page discussing tea to one discussing the ways in which tea is brewed would be invaluable to a user, especially if they are looking for the proper wa…

Read Full Post
Zmario Zmario 15 April 2016

Policy Creation and You

Hey everyone, Zmario here. I wanted to bring your attention to an important aspect when managing a wiki: the creation of policies for your wiki. It is no doubt a challenging experiencing when starting a wiki from scratch, trying to get users to join, but at the same time, setting up everything and making things look in tip-top shape. I'll go over all those things in another blog. But right now, I'd like to go further in-depth into the world of policy creation.

• 1 Creating a policy
  • 2 Naming your policy
  • 3 What to put in a policy
  • 4 Enforcing a policy
  • 5 Where should I link my policies
  • 6 Overview

Starting a new wiki is always exciting and tiresome. So many things need to be changed and information needs to be added. But a very important step that can sometim…

Read Full Post
Zmario Zmario 7 October 2016

Kuu Kuu Harajuku Wiki

Hey everyone, Zmario here with the latest creation of mine, the Kuu Kuu Harajuku Wiki From the creative genius of Gwen Stefani comes a new animated series on Nickelodeon.

Glad you asked! Kuu Kuu Harajuku follows the everyday lives of HJ5, a band of girls who like to sing and dance and perform for others! There's G (she's the leader and based on Gwen Stefani herself), Angel (the happy-go-lucky one), Love (the incredibly smart one), Music (the incredibly sassy one), and Baby (the extremely adorable one). Managed by the dimwitted Rudy, HJ5 has to have an unlucky streak when it comes to performing: something bad happens moments before the concert even begins! Despite this, the girls learn the value of friendship and to appreciate the different …

Read Full Post
ZeroTigress ZeroTigress 26 January 2016

Ragnarök Wiki

Hi, I'm ZeroTigress, current admin of the Ragnarök Wiki. What is the Ragnarök Wiki, you ask?

The Ragnarök Wiki is a wiki centered on archiving the entire Ragnarök franchise, which started with the Korean manhwa written by Lee Myung-Jin. The manhwa spawned 2 online games and a multitude of spin-offs and merchandise. What we need help most with the wiki are with information about the spin-offs and people to manage the German, Portuguese, and Japanese versions of the wiki. We welcome anyone to come join the community as long as they adhere to the wiki's editing policies and are respectful to their fellow contributors. If you are unable to write articles, that's fine! We could use translators to translate articles on the Ragnarök Wiki into Germ…

Read Full Post
Zambiealex Zambiealex 1 June 2016

Wiki Inspector

As a Community Councillor, I have to contribute Ideas. It hit me. I thought of an Idea. Its called...

A Wiki Inspector!

A Wiki Inspector will oversee known wikis to see how they are doing. It's Objective is to critisize a wiki, Like a school inspector. Shows it goods and bads. They tell the wiki how to improve the ways they act. They give them Tips of how to grab the attentions of users so they could have a more Civilised community. They decide if that wiki land on these categories. 

• Is the wiki "community friendly?": What is it and is it aimed to that subject?
  • How they deal with socks and Vandalizers?: Do they have a effecient way of dealing with socks?
  • Do they have qualified staff?: Are the Local staff viglielent and always availible to respo…
Read Full Post
Zambiealex Zambiealex 27 June 2016

Why use AFOREST in promoting ideas

AFOREST is a way of persuasion but why should we use it? Well because... Why not. AFOREST stands for Addressing the Audience, Facts, Opinions of Authority , Rhetorical Questions, Emotive Language, Statistics and Triples. Let go through each of them.

• 1 Addressing the Audience.
  • 2 Facts
  • 3 OoA
  • 4 Rhetorical Questions
  • 5 Emotive Language
  • 6 Stats
  • 7 Triples

• To be able to promote your idea you need to be eye-catching and more attracting. Why? Well because how will people be introduced to your idea? It is like Writing a Line (This Blog has been previously deleted because of a line...)

• BACK UP your Idea with facts. Why? Well because it could be opinions that the community says. Eg: A featured page. Use Facts of why this Idea you are showing off is just so good.

• Get quotes fr…

Read Full Post
Zambiealex Zambiealex 22 December 2016

Pyre Wiki

Yo, It is me Zambie and I am here to tell you the wiki I just made! It is called the Pyre Wiki aka Pyrepedia! but First what Is Pyre? 

Pyre is an upcoming game made by Supergiant Games.

The game takes place in a high fantasy setting. The player controls a character that meets three exiles who, upon finding the player-character is literate, have them join their party and name him the Reader to help them travel the land of purgatory, looking to cleanse their souls by defeating other exiles. The story is told through on-screen narrative passages that include a hyperlink-type system used by the player-character to explore the story further. The party can only travel during the day periods in the land and must stop at night; at this point, the pl…

Read Full Post
Zambiealex Zambiealex 2 October 2016

Ice Cream Wiki

Zambie: You there!

Jack : Who me?

Zambie: Yes you... Do you love Ice Cream?

Jack: Yes I do!

Zambie: it is your Lucky Day!

Jack: What do I get Ice Cream?

Zambie: No...you will get something even better!

Jack: What  is it?

Zambie: An introduction to the Ice Cream Wiki!

Jack: Please explain what is the Ice Cream Wiki?

Zambie: the Ice Cream wiki is a 2009 wiki created by Ice Cream King! Unfortunately, he vandalised his own wiki. Anyways the Ice Cream Wiki was adopted by me, of course, your handsome wikian, Zambiealex...

Jack: I am not attracted to y-

Zambie: WILL YOU BE QUIET?! So anyway the Ice Cream Wiki has been improved since by me and I have introduced some new features to it. I have cleaned up some articles and managed it with categories and wow it …

Read Full Post
Zambiealex Zambiealex 9 July 2016

How to Represent your Home Wiki

When you talk, Chat or edit you represent your community. I think that is all...

NOT!

Remember you can be that change in your home wiki. Hey, I know! Let me tell you a few tips on how to represent your community.

• 1 When a new user comes, greet them.
  • 2 Contribute
  • 3 Give Ideas to make the community better.
  • 4 Don't Bully

You can be the nice guy that everyone knows and loves. You just need to let it out. So if a new user does not know that to do, just give them a helping hand.

It is important to contribute. Helping and giving is great! It shows that you are determined to you and your community.

It is important to give ideas and to collaborate them. It is helpful to improve the community and learn from it flaws and maybe it will end up in WAM!

How would you …

Read Full Post
Yatalu Yatalu 8 June 2016

I made a wiki

Hi guys, it's story time.

Back in 2011, which is the year when I joined Wikia, I was part of a different community. I was a user on IMVU (a 3D chat client: users have a 3D avatar and can hang out in 3D chat rooms) and I had found my place in the role-playing community there. We built characters and made stories together, it was all pretty cool. However, a lot of people's characters were like human or vampire or elf... People all had kingdoms and covens. I mean, it gets boring after a while, no?

So I thought I'd make my own species to roam around. I called them the "Hvetshran" — they were a tribal people who live hidden from humans and have reptilic scales, fangs and a pointy tail. They were also 6 to 7 feet tall and were one of the species tha…

Read Full Post