m (Archiving Admin Forums)
(forumheader)

Line 1: Line 1:

{{ForumArchiveBox}}

{{ForumArchiveBox}}

+
{{Admin-Forumheader|Admin Watercooler}}
[[Category:Watercooler|What were the first questions you had as a new admin?]]

<div class="forumheader" style="margin-bottom: .25em;">'''Forums:''' [[Admin Central:Forum|Admin Central Index]] '''→''' [[Admin Forum:Watercooler|Watercooler]] '''→''' What were the first questions you had as a new admin?

</div>

<div style="text-align:center; margin-bottom: .5em; font-size:90%; border:1px solid #ccc; border-top: 0px; padding:0 4px;" >Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.<br/> To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use [[Special:Contact]].</div>

__NEWSECTIONLINK__

__NEWSECTIONLINK__

Latest revision as of 09:56, 7 March 2013

This Forum has been archived
Forums: Admin Central Index Admin Watercooler What were the first questions you had as a new admin?
Central's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4059 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

We were all new admins at one point on our wiki adventure. Do you remember what it was like? I am currently making a FAQ article for new admins and founders. Do you want to help me? :) You can by answering the following:

• What were the very first questions you had when you first started editing on Wikia?
  • What confused you about building a wiki?
  • What were the things you learned first as a new admin?

Please answer below. Feel free to write as little or as much — I'd like to hear what your experience was so I can help new admins find the answers they need on this new FAQ article. Thanks! --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 22:14, November 7, 2011 (UTC)

Ben's thoughts

Well, just to get us started, here are my three q's I wanted a answer to when I was a new admin:

Ben these are great. Can you expand more on crazy functions? Like specifically what functions are you referring to. Thanks! --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 22:26, November 7, 2011 (UTC)
Well, rollback, deleting, protecting, deleting, theme designer, and blocking were just self explanatory, what really bugged me was all the MediaWiki, JS, and CSS needed to be done on my wiki, I eventually found great JS/CSS on different wikis and put them into one on my wiki. MediaWiki was self taught (not really self taught, but i figured it out)- the real problem with MediaWiki was there was so many pages of MW and they were hard to find, luckily, Special:AllMessages was here on Wikia so it made it easier. --22:31, November 7, 2011 (UTC)
Ben, I like that you were driven to find out more. I think for me that is what drew me to creating things online...was that there was so much to learn ALL OF THE TIME. I like that you kept at it. --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 22:32, November 8, 2011 (UTC)
Thanks Meighan! Three more questions I'd like to add when I was a new admin, here it is:
  • How can I get new ideas for my wiki?
  • How can I get users to enjoy editing?
  • How do I find a way for users to connect?
Like RT's, these questions are more social.00:46, November 9, 2011 (UTC)

RT's thoughts

For me, it seemed fairly self explanatory when I became an admin, there was a "delete" button, and a "block" button, and a "protect" button, and every edit had a [rollback] link (this was before b'crats could give out rollback rights) and they worked in the way I expected them to work. As we had an experienced team, I had seen how the tools were used before, and I understood how they could be used in the future. So I guess there weren't that many questions, apart from the more social "what's a good way to keep users behaving?" and "how long should I block?" -- RandomTime 22:20, November 7, 2011 (UTC)

RT, I like those last questions. Social questions are great and relevant! Thank you! --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 22:26, November 7, 2011 (UTC)

Godisme's thoughts

My experience was much like Randomtime's. Before I became a wiki administrator, I had been a long time administrator on several forums so I knew the basics of using the tools of an administrator. I had been on wikia long enough before I became an admin that I knew the wiki side of things. So I think my only questions were really "How do I get more people to come to my wiki?" and "What can I do to make the wiki better?"--GodPray  22:29,11/7/2011 

Thanks Godisme, so when you wanted to "make your wiki better" what was it that you wanted to make better? Did you have questions around cosmetic appearances or technical? I know for me, templates kind of blew my mind once I got more into editing, but initially I wanted my wiki to look good (skins, theme, colors). What was it you wanted to make better? Thanks! --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 22:36, November 7, 2011 (UTC)
I suppose the main thing I had in mind when I first started as a wiki admin was the look of the site. I adopted Ninja Gaiden Wiki which had been long abandoned. The wiki was without any styling and used infoboxes that were created back in 2008. Nothing on the site looked good so I looked around at other wikis to find what I could do to make the site look presentable. Later came the technical side of things and me asking "How can I make my wiki more functional". During that time I leaned heavily on this wiki to give me some pointers.--GodPray  23:18,11/7/2011 
Godisme, Thanks for getting more specific. I felt the same way when I discovered BoardWalk Empire -- I looked around at other wikis and ripped what I liked and tweaked it. For the more technical side I turned to the other editors that had just joined as well and asked for their help. What made it more functional for you? --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 22:32, November 8, 2011 (UTC)

Jazzi's thoughts

What were the very first questions you had when you first started editing on Wikia?
I don't really remember my first questions. I just remember thinking that I didn't know so many people played Zelda games.
What confused you about building a wiki?
How to start from the bottom of the heap.
What were the things you learned first as a new admin?
How stressful it can be when you're juggling school work (extra credit work), a social life, skype conversations and IRC channels. Especially when someone from each wants you at that moment.

zzi 22:48, November 7, 2011 (UTC)

Jäzzi, lol on so many people playing Zelda. I think figuring out where the bottom of the heap is -- is super important. For me it's cosmetic, I need things to look good before I want to trick them out. --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 22:32, November 8, 2011 (UTC)

Dser's thoughts

• My first question when I started contributing to Wikia was: how do you format things. Before joining Wikia, I had no knowledge of wiki formatting, or HTML for that matter, so I had to learn everything from scratch.
  • When I became an admin on my first wiki, I was mainly thinking of how to set things up. I didn't know what to do, so I borrowed things from other Wikia. Now that I know that there is no set way a wiki should run, I've started making policies from scratch.
  • The first things I learned as an admin were the new features and how to use them. Once again, I had no experience with using such tools, and had no idea when it was proper to use them, but I have since overcome this problem.

--Dser (wall | email) 22:50, 11/7/2011

Dser, it sounds like you have taught yourself a lot. What are the policies you have created? --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 22:32, November 8, 2011 (UTC)

Callofduty4's thoughts

• My first question was asking someone how to make a customised signature and userpage userbox. I remember that quite vividly for some reason, and is one of my strongest memories of using Wikia, even if it was a long time ago. I didn't know how to use wikimarkup at the time, so I had to ask :)
  • I wasn't really confused. I had my mind set straight on improving anything I could and as much as I could, through the more in-depth set of tools that one receives with adminship. The only thing I was confused about was how my RfA actually passed, and if you want to find out why, go ahead and research it on the CoD Wiki :P. I'm still confused to this day.
  • I taught myself the tricks of the trade when it came to adminship - the first thing I learned was how to use the block interface.
    • A lesson I've learned is to not take anything an editor does for granted. That editor may not be there the next day to help out. Once you start doing that, you begin to view everything with much more respect and value, and believe me, it's something worth doing. A tip I can give to admins is to make sure you let your community know you value them. If you see a user make some really good edits, drop him or her a message on their talk page saying thanks. It will make them feel happy. And if you don't value your community, you shouldn't be an admin, it's really as simple as that. --Callofduty4 23:07, November 7, 2011 (UTC)
CoD, we often hear from newbies that they want a fancy signature. So that makes total sense to me. :) It's so important to let your other editors know how much there edits mean to you (and the wiki), such a good point. Thank you! --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 22:32, November 8, 2011 (UTC)

DrkDragonz's thoughts

• My first question was asking people how could I help to improve articles. My first wiki, Combat Arms Wiki had a bit of a small community when I joined, and I loved Combat Arms to death, until a few months ago when they made some small HUGE changes. I spent a lot of my time playing the new gamemodes as they got released, taking lots of gameplay images using FRAPS and improving the quality of stubs.
  • You gain so many new abilities when you are promoted, so they were all a bit confusing at first. The main thing that I learned was how to use Special:Block and all of its subfeatures properly (Blocking account creation, allowing the user to edit his/her own talk page while blocked, etc.). Was I supposed to block a user for 3 days, or 3 months? That sort of thing was confusing at first, since we didn't have any sort of guideline. I had to make up my own sort of guideline, which I think is a good thing :D
  • To build my wiki(s), i usually borrowed from other wikia's. Snippets from one wiki, snippets from another wiki, and eventually I learned how to edit wikicode and get good at it.

DrkDragonz66  Talk  Contribs  Call of Duty   

23:23, November 7, 2011 (UTC)

DrkDragon, learning how to block and for how long is something that I think is a really valuable thing to learn when becoming an admin. Thanks for sharing that. --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 22:32, November 8, 2011 (UTC)

Zam's thoughts

• The first thing I wondered was "What new pages can I see, and what do they do?" I then proceeded to go to Special:SpecialPages and check through the pages there, and read the info on the intro to those pages. My first logged admin action is deleting one of my sandboxes. :P
  • It lead to asking the other admins just how to do something, and reading our policy pages. Since as an admin, you're supposed to know that stuff. For smaller wikis, I'd suggest making sure you know the social norms around there if the policies are more of an understood thing than actually written in stone.
  • The first thing I learned was that admins really are the "slaves of the community", since you're entrusted to do the bidding of the community. So you have to be willing to fulfill the requests of other users on the wiki.

22px-Logo.svg.png22?cb=20160405123310 22?cb=20170831223041 00:10, November 8, 2011 (UTC)

Zam, it's true -- social norms and policies aren't always available in print and often are more understood then written. Good point. Btw SpecialPages cornfused me big time my first few days here. ;) --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 22:32, November 8, 2011 (UTC)

Wutwut's thoughts

• My first thoughts were mostly, how do i use source mode effectively, how i become a helpful member to the community and how i use all this administration stuff.
  • What confused me is what to add to an article, weither it was needed or unneeded, helpful or random. It was usually confusing on what to do.
  • What i learned first is how to use these admin skills effectively and what needs to be used on a wiki or not based on whats in the resources we have to gather information. Being a community member was also a thing i learned, trying to contribute to forums and whatnot to the best of my ability. It was really fun learning this stuff so i could be a better contributor to the wiki and the community as a whole. I hope that helped. --Mylittlewut, Friendship is Questionable 01:00, November 8, 2011 (UTC)
Wutwut, these are great. I think it can be really confusing when you show up on a new scene on the Internetz. There are all sorts of rules, guidelines, norms, etc! There is a lot to learn and it takes time to learn everything and be effective and helpful. Thank you! --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 22:32, November 8, 2011 (UTC)

Andrew444's thoughts

Here were my thoughts:

1. How do I get users?
  2. Can I get help attracting contributors?
  3. How do I use my admin rights?

04L.ANDREW 02:29, November 8, 2011 (UTC)

All good! --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 22:32, November 8, 2011 (UTC)

Gardimuer's thoughts

What were the very first questions you had when you first started editing on Wikia?
When I first started editing, I jumped into things head first without realizing I might clash with the customs of preexisting editors. When it came to using the editing tools etc. I could find everything I needed to know in the help pages, but I had to improvise when it came to interacting and collaborating with strangers. I had some big ideas for changing and improving articles, but I felt like I had to get permission from an admin first so that I wouldn't unintentionally rub people the wrong way. Then, after I got encouragement from an admin, I just steamrolled ahead, assuming that everyone would have the same opinion the admin did. That led to an unpleasant wake-up call when another editor took offence and started undoing my work.
So I guess my first questions were all about to the hard conundrums of wikiquette.
From my perspective, creating pages was the easy part. The confusing part was how to work with other editors on the same project (most of whom were on different waking schedules in different timezones) in order to coordinate goals and set guidelines that everyone could agree to. I was also really confused about how to draw in more editors to the project. We had tons of lurkers, but very few contributors. In retrospect, some of my naive efforts to encourage contributors were rather embarrassing.
Using the admin tools was pretty straightforward for the most part. My first big learning occasions came when I had to use discretion when handling good editors who had broken the rules. Banning vandals is easy, but it is difficult to respond appropriately to a good editor who is edit warring or refusing to communicate. On those occasion I had to ask other admins for advice.
The most important thing I learned was that it is important not to cause bad relations with other editors, but at the same time you can't let past good relations stop you from doing what is best for the wiki.

--Gardimuer { ʈalk } 06:44, November 8, 2011 (UTC)

Wikiquette! So important. :) --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 00:30, November 9, 2011 (UTC)

Tm's babblings

I think it was mostly to do with formatting (of references), I just looked the example of others (references on the same article) and followed that. And got help from others correcting my mistakes.
Maybe I'm too old to be confused by that. ):
That most functionality has self-explanory named links, and more info is easily found if bother to look (collected to one place would help though).

I generally feel that as long as people have patience and allows them enough time to learn things (and not try to do and know all rightaway) things comes into place by itself. (: –Tm_T (Talk) 07:50, November 8, 2011 (UTC)

It's true over time things start to come naturally when you get the hang of a site. I know the only way I have learned anything is through perserverance and patience (and maybe shaking my fists a couple of times ;). --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 00:30, November 9, 2011 (UTC)

Sovq's thoughts

• What were the very first questions you had when you first started editing on Wikia?

I guess the first thoughts I had after joining my first wiki were: "How do they coordinate this?", "How do they manage to keep the articles/templates consistent", "Am I allowed to do this without having my change being undone?".

The most confusing thing was the amount of various project/template pages that weren't used. I like to keep things clean, simple, transparent and well structured so I wasn't sure if the Project:Policy, Project:Templates, Project:Community Portal and others were relevant pages, written by actual contributors, that had a purpose or just some default content that can be ignored and possibly deleted.

Receiving admin rights on my first wiki really motivated me to get involved in the project even deeper. I felt privileged and rewarded so I thought I should give something in return. I rarely made use of the additional admin tools, because there was no need to. I did however learn how to write templates which allowed me, after a certain amount of time, overhaul the whole template structure on the wiki for more consistency and simplicity.

Sovq, these are great. Learning to work as a community is key on wikis. Also, I think templates are fascinating and very confusing, but once one uderstands how to use them...they can be pretty magical. :) --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 00:30, November 9, 2011 (UTC)

ForestMonthZero comments

Well, I am a new admin, so... these are my current thoughts about it.

first questions and some of the confusion
  • Where's the introduction to Wikia administration?
  • Where is the documentation for Wikia?
  • Where is a list of CSS classes/tags/entities that Wikia uses?
  • Why does code that works on MediaWiki wiki X or Wikimedia project Y not work on Wikia?
  • Where's {{)}} and {{(}} ?
  • Why can't I mix and match HTML table code and wiki table code?
  • {{navbox}} seems to be missing groups/lists/image?
  • {{infobox}} seems to be missing subsection titling? And short?
  • Why doesn't {{documentation|content= xyz }} work?
  • How can I link multiple templates to the same documentation, there doesn't seem to be a switch?
  • Why doesn't {{tl}} exist?
  • How do I create anchors in a page? <a name=xyz> doesn't work.
  • How do I get alias URLs added to my wiki?
  • Why doesn't <enter my language code here>.mywikiawiki.wikia.com work?
  • Where's the Wikia version of Commons, so I can use images from other Wikis, or use my photos on other Wikis ?
  • Is the Wikipedia import compatibility package installed?
  • I added a videolink via the video button in the editor, why does the achievement for it in the Founder's list of achievements still not checked off? And why does it send me to Special:Upload, since I added a video via the video button, which doesn't use Special:Upload
  • Why doesn't the Layout Builder instructions describe how to build a layout properly? It's in the list of achievements to accomplish, but it's trial and error as to getting a functional one.
  • If uploading a wordmark is so special (list of admin accomplishments), why isn't creating a new favicon?
  • Why would anyone want a Pounce! badge on their wiki? 100 edits to a single page in 1 hour by one person? That just pollutes the activity logs, and makes it very hard to compare changes. Or makes people want to start edit wars to get that badge.
  • Is Caffeinated badge a good idea? Doesn't that encourage nuisance edits?
  • Why aren't there badges given out according to the size of contributions?
  • I can deactivate achievement badges in toto, but why can't I deactivate individual badges?
  • Why is adding categories not just part of the standard edit process? Removing categories is, but adding categories can be done without editing. Doesn't this just encourage adding nuisance categories?
  • Why aren't categories that don't exist redlinked? How do I tell the category doesn't exist, without clicking on it? It takes so much time to make sure I didn't make a typo on the category link.
  • How do I edit the menu where the pagetypes are for "Add A Page" ?
  • Where is "standard layout" located?
  • What do I edit to change the standard JavaScript and CSS load?
There's no pointers to w:c:help or w:c:test or MW: , there are only pointers to w: in the introduction that I received.
first things learned
  • Wikia doesn't allow you to mix HTML table markup and wiki table markup
  • I need to add functionality to {{documentation}}
  • I need to import Wikipedia's {{infobox}} and {{navbox}} or build better versions myself
  • {{tl}} is called {{t}}
  • I need to build {{)}} and {{(}}
  • I need to import {{anchor}} from Wikipedia or build my own
  • Layouts are hard to build, use substitution templates instead, or preloads
  • Wikia.css , Wikia.js , Global.css , Global.js , Common.css , Common.js seem to do something
  • There's no protection mode that makes it read-only for administrators (so you can't accidentally edit it, without unprotecting it first)
  • There are few levels of user groups
  • There's no revision deletion on edits, but there is on file uploads
end

Well... that seems a bit ranty... but I am still new on Wikia, and finding out where things are. Many of my first questions I still don't have the answers for.

ForestMonthZero 12:08, November 8, 2011 (UTC)

ForestMonthZero, Thank you for adding all of your questions here. It's good to hear them. If there are questions you need answers to right now...you can always post in the other forums here on Founder. :) Thanks for sharing what q's you had & what you have learned! --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 00:30, November 9, 2011 (UTC)

Fargo84's thoughts on becoming an admin

Well my first thought was "oh my gosh!" My second thought was that if I became an admin does that mean I have to work on pages more often or something. I was still new as I had only been working at the World War II Wiki for about 3-7 days. I was really happy and I discovered that help is always close by. I then got back to work making articles. It's only been about 5-6 months since I joined and I added about 50 full, referenced, content pages and I added over 100 pictures to my wiki. It may not sound like a lot, but the World War II Wiki has been growing surely and proudly. Back to what I was thinking at the time, becoming an admin and some good jobs really made me feel welcome on the first wiki I've ever worked on. So far its been the only wiki I really concentrate on. So now I focus on how to get more people to the wiki and how to make it better. Fargo84 02:08, November 9, 2011 (UTC)

Serene's thoughts

1. The first thing I needed to know was how to create the wordmark and the theme since they were the most obvious flaws with our wiki.
  2. I adopted a wiki that already had a few regular editor, so I didn't do much community building.
  3. The first things I learned where how to create a wordmark and the theme.

Willy Yellow's Thoughts

My first questions we're "How do I ban someone?" I found out for myself. You go to the blockee's contributions. Block. The settings. And done!! :) Willy Yellow

Fandyllic's thoughts

• Mostly how Wikia operated differently from a standard MediaWiki wiki or other large wikis like Wikipedia. Fortunately, Kirkburn was also an admin at WoWWiki and took up the lead with interacting with Wikia and eventually became an employee. I had been an admin at WoWWiki for over a year when Wikia took it over, so I was mostly trying to learn the differences of the Wikia infrastructure and the whole skin support thing.
    • The complexity of ways to format and organize wiki pages. How do you encourage efficient navigation? How do you make things look look nice without making it all too complicated? Learning the ins and outs of templates was a major step for me, since they are so powerful, but they can present a barrier to new users if they are not well setup, easy to understand, and there are at least a few decent help pages.
    • How to work with other admins and other users. At its heart, wikis are a collaboration, so if you can't work with other people on the wiki, you should either do it their way, convince them of your perspective, or take a break and come back later. I've done all these things on a few different wikis. Usually things work out, but not always.

-- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 9 Nov 2011 5:58 PM Pacific

Hi Fandyllic, thanks for weighing in here -- I know you've been around for a while so it's nice to hear from a user like yourself in this area. I am totally right there with you about navigation (I love the new wiki nav for this very reason) and templates — man, templates! I think learning templates was a high point for me and it opened many doors. I am actually writing a Guide specifically about how to use and make templates in the coming weeks. And your third point; good stuff. Thanks! --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 01:07, November 10, 2011 (UTC)
Looking forward to a templates guide. Don't forget to mention Templates wiki. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 11 Nov 2011 4:01 PM Pacific

Toadette's Thoughts

Well at first it was confusing. I didn't know how to block people, how to add user rights etc. I found the help wiki and it was and still is a big help. When I first joined wikia, I joined a big community which helped a lot. Templates were confusing and so were userboxes but I soon got the hang of it. Also I found many friendships online and I over came the fact that people do die. I also realized that I am not the only girl Mario fan out there. I used to think i was crazy for that fact. I'm still laughing at that fact. Toadette I am Team Toadette. We do not give up till we WIN! Talk to me 01:17, November 10, 2011 (UTC)

Technology Wizard's thoughts

My first questions were: "How do I read my messages?", "How do I link things?", and "How do I get more badges?".
    I was confused about how to attract more editors and how to get community consensus.
    I immediately learned how to edit the community messages. I then learned more about other admin tools such as mediawiki pages, protecting pages, badge customization, wikifeatures, and theme designer.

—Technology Wizard ·Contribs· ~Talk~ ·E-Mail·  01:21, 11/10/2011 

Sxerks' thoughts

• very first questions:

At the time I hadn't edited any wiki, and I didn't start editing until my first wiki was created(back in 2007 this was done by request, not automated). So my first questions were about formatting such as double bracket for links and the number of apostrophes for bold or italics. In the sidebar on the Monaco editor page there was a cheat-sheet of sorts which was helpful at the beginning.

• about building a wiki:

Formatting tables/boxes on the main page. I mainly copied other wikis and altered it to fit mine, which I still do. The concept of how category pages worked(this was before category tagging). Another thing was Namespaces and what they were for. Linking to categories and files required a colon in front of the link.

Having some different Main Pages to copy from would be helpful to new wiki founders. Also links to wikia help and others [1], [2], w3.

• learned first as a new admin:

As an admin, how to protect pages and block users. The Mediawiki pages that could be edited. And some CSS.

--Sxerks 02:51, November 10, 2011 (UTC)

The 888th Avatar's thoughts

Where can I help? I think that was the thing that bothered me at first the most. I started on a wiki that was comparatively established, so the challenge was more finding a place where I could be truly useful than facing up to the mountainous challenge of founding a wiki and kick-starting it. Unfortunately, one of my personal weaknesses is an unwillingness to take the initiative when it comes to asking questions, so I wasted a lot of time figuring out by myself where I could help.
I've never founded a proper wiki (tests and Answers companions to larger wikis don't count) and the first wiki I became an admin on had enough experienced admins for this not to matter to me at first. So I guess for me this question is really about how to further increase an editing base from what you already have, and that did confuse me. In terms of search engine rankings, it did frustrate me that a wiki with far more detail and a far higher quality of content could be pushed into the second or even third page of Google.
CSS. Back at the start of 2009, you either learnt CSS, or you suffered from a terrible wiki theme. Personally, even with the advent of features such as the Theme Designer, I still think CSS has a very important role to play in administrating a wiki. It does allow for that degree of professionalism and polish for individual wikis. Expecting thousands of Wikians to be literate in CSS and javascript might be asking a bit much, though. The 888th Avatar (talk) 11:04, November 10, 2011 (UTC)

WikiPim's thoughts

Hooray. Wikia staff are writing a FAQ for admins. I bet it has to become about 5000 pages long to cover all frequently asked questions, but it's a starter ;)

• Without ANY prior wiki editing, learning the basics from the help files wasn't that helpfull. It was merely a try as you go. First questions i stumbled upon: How to use this infobox, how can i create links. where do those lead me to. I mainly started with blatant copy pasting from other info on the wiki (it already had about 140 pages, i did improve it in a months time to 500) and using my pretty extended knowledge with source code, forum, html and such to add to this wiki. Since most of the info i needed wasn't found on the wiki, i had been contributing a fairly nice volume in edits in the first several days of my entry. I was also talking about it in the group of the game and sharing it in public chat channels.
  • Templates, using infoboxes, getting information to other users (i found out that talk pages could be used for that, but it took me some time to figure it out, i would now consider myself a numbnut for that, but heck, i was a complete noob in editing wikis back then (4,5 months ago)).
  • The helpfiles also where pretty confusing and didn't contain the information i needed, the mediawikifiles where terrible to go through (i still believe they should be organised very differently, as well as documented properly in perhaps categorial way or something). It took me several months to find out there are several mediawiki pages present to help new users find their way around)
  • I had a lot of trouble finding the desired information on Community Central when i found out that's the place to be as well. I have spent many hours searching for snippets of information and digging through many many many pages to find what i had been looking for.
  • That an adoption process can take a lot longer then you would expect, and that the process requires you to actively monitor it because staff doesn't tell you nothing about any replies they make or requests they do. And if you fail to meet a single minor criteria you are instantly put on hold for at least 7 more days.
  • Attitude on supposedly helpfull wiki's for admins/ coding are all but trying to help you (i am fairly into coding, but not into CSS/ Javascript). Their main purpose seemed to be RTFM or READ WIKIPEDIA/ WIKIMEDIA/ CSS HELPFILES/ OTHER HELP RESOURCES, while my goal was only to get the best for the wiki i was editing without any other hassles/ long taking processes/ negative tone towards me. Preferrably with well documented copy pasting from other sites to help me quickly and get some nice additions from other places.
  • I also found out to my frustration that a wiki cannot be made case insensitive, and even the search is limited (not including templates, mediawiki pages and such) and sometimes case sensitive.
  • There are quite a lot of shaky build features on a wikia wiki. Layoutbuilder being very useless in most cases, and you need quite a lot of workarounds on many things.
  • It's not giving a notification that you have a reply to something automatically when you insert questions on others their talkpages, but requires you to notify others, where there is even a template build for that purpose.
  • I have also had spend some time with my signature trying to sort out how to change that. By then i had found out how to get my information from Community Central forums, so it was a bit easier then my search for knowledge on earlier occassions.

And what i also notice more and more is that Wikia doesn't seem to have a tradition on telling the audience of people leaving or entering staff or any other important changes concerning Wikia (like for instance a new CEO, sysop being demoted, and so on). I have stumbled upon quite a few people who for unknown reasons have left wikia inc. and therefor quite a number of times have felt like hitting the walls unexpectedly where i tried resolving things or digging into information.

Hollowness' Thoughts

To start I was a decently experienced editor for another wiki, with a good understanding of templates, as well as basic wikia editing and HTML. Also I was lucky enough to have an admin on another wiki with Superior wikia and template knowledge willing to help me when I needed it.

What were the very first questions you had when you first started editing on Wikia? (as an editor)

• How do templates work?
  • How do infobox transformers work?
  • How do I make a good article layout?

What were the very first questions you had when you first started editing on Wikia? (as an admin)

• What Admin tools do I have to help this wiki?
  • How much flexibility do I have for the appearance/theme with wiki admin rights?
  • Should I instate rules before I get the community going, so I don't have to deal with trying to implement them later?
  • How do I utilize css? (still learning and wish there was more user friendly basic guides)

• How limited it was for theme design (from image background (size wise and no stretch option)) and how page layout builder worked (badly and useless imo).
  • How even adopting a practically dead wiki you can still have people upset when trying to improve it.

• How with enough hours in you can update a wiki that is horrible out of date and how 1-2 good regular contributors can help a wiki so much.
  • How much easier it is to teach people how to edit the wiki it is than it was to learn on your own. Taking your time with people who are willing to learn but need more help (because they have no wikia experience), is worth the time :)

I feel I am still learning but I have learned a bunch too. Thanks for listen/reading  Hollowness | Wall | Contr 23:38, November 11, 2011 (UTC)