Community Central
Community Central
mNo edit summary
(Splitting old watercooler threads from admin watercooler threads)

(32 intermediate revisions by 7 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
  +
{{ForumArchiveBox}}
{{Admin-Forumheader|Watercooler}}

+

{{Admin-Forumheader|Admin Watercooler}}

<!-- Please put your content under this line. Be sure to sign your edits with four tildes: ~~~~

<!-- Please put your content under this line. Be sure to sign your edits with four tildes: ~~~~

If you require staff help, please use Special:Contact or community@wikia.com to be sure of a staff reply. -->

If you require staff help, please use Special:Contact or community@wikia.com to be sure of a staff reply. -->
  +
<div style="border: 1px solid black; padding: 10px; background-color: white;">Note: Sine has just been updgraded to the second version. This is a complete rewrite.</div>

Testing is over. Sine is finished and ready to use.

Sine automatically adds your signature to your posts in forums like this one and on talk pages.
+
[[w:c:dev:Sine|Sine]] automatically appends your signature (four tildes to be precise) to your posts in forums like this one and on talk pages.

To use Sine simply add:

To use Sine simply add:

<div "border: 1px solid black; padding: 10px; background-color: white;"><source lang="javascript">
+
<div style="border: 1px solid black; padding: 10px; background-color: white;"><source lang="javascript">

importScriptPage('Sine/code.js', 'dev');

</source></div>

</source></div>
Line 18: Line 20:

Should you ever want to ''not'' sine a post, simply check "Minor Edit".

Should you ever want to ''not'' sine a post, simply check "Minor Edit".

+
And as always with JavaScript changes: Wikia's caching and your web browser's caching may collude to delay the effect. Check the [[w:c:dev:JS_and_CSS_Cheatsheet|JS Cheatsheet]] for details.
If you find a bug or have a feature request, post it on the [[w:c:dev"Talk:Sine|Sine talk page]], please. -- [[User:Pecoes|Pecoes]] 21:56, March 10, 2012 (UTC)

+

If you find a bug or have a feature request, post it here or on the [[w:c:dev:Talk:Sine|Sine talk page]], please. -- [[User:Pecoes|Pecoes]] 21:56, March 10, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
----
  +
  +
There is one little problem with testing this gadget: It only becomes active in the very moment that you submit the page. So to see if it works under different circumstances you would have to submit the page again and again and again and again. That's slow. That puts a lot of needless stress on Wikia's servers and that clutters up Special:WikiActivity. But there's a much easier way to test Sine: Go to the [http://getfirebug.com Firebug] console and type in:
  +
  +
<div style="border: 1px solid black; padding: 10px; background-color: white;"><source lang="javascript">
  +
Sine.add()
  +
</source></div>
  +
  +
That will sine your post without actually submitting the page. You can load Sine directly from the console too:
  +
  +
  +
importScriptPage('Sine/code.js', 'dev')
  +
</source></div>
  +
  +
If you ''do not'' know what Firebug is or how to use its console, you might want to sit this one out. I do not at all mind giving Firebug support but not in ''this'' thread, please! ''This'' thread is about testing Sine.
  +
  +
----
  +
  +
:So, it should sign automatically for me? (I haven't signed this post to test if it works)
  +
  +
::Have you checked whether that might be a [[w:c:dev:JS_and_CSS_Cheatsheet#Caching_Issues|caching issue]]?
  +
[[User:Pecoes|Pecoes]] 02:59, March 11, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
:::Did both, let's hope this works! (No sign)
  +
  +
::::Do you happen to be a Firebug user? If so you can quickly test it yourself. Go to Console and type in "appendSine()". If Firebug '''does''' offer you to autocomplete the name while you type it, then the Sine has loaded. Otherwise - it's not there yet... -- [[User:Pecoes|Pecoes]] 03:08, March 11, 2012 (UTC)
  +
:::::Right now, Firebug is doing nothing... how do I work it? (Using Firebug Lite stable for IE8) [[User:Iggyvolz|Iggyvolz]] 03:20, March 11, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
::::::How dow you work Firebug? You load this page, hit F12 to open Firebug and then you type "appendSine" into the page-wide input box at the very bottom and hit return. If it tells you that appendSine is a function, then the JS has loaded. If it tells you that appendSine is undefined, then it isn't there yet. -- [[User:Pecoes|Pecoes]] 03:36, March 11, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
::::::ADDENDUM: It's no longer "appendSine". It's "Sine.add". [[User:Pecoes|Pecoes]] 21:39, March 12, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
== Sine testing ==
  +
You need to put what the autosig looks like at the [[w:c:dev:Sine|Sine page on Dev]].
  +
undefined
  +
:Didn't work, it just put "undefined". This makes me think the Javascript got loaded, but it has a bug. Are you supposed to put a linefeed after your post or not?
  +
:&nbsp;[[User:Fandyllic|<span style="border-bottom:1px dotted; cursor:help;" title="Who?">Fandyllic</span>]]<small> ([[User talk:Fandyllic|talk]] &middot; [[Special:Contributions/Fandyllic|contr]])</small> 12 Mar 2012 12:22 PM Pacific 20:22, March 12, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
::Okay, that time it worked, but since I put my own timestamp in my signature field in preferences, it appended that one also.
  +
::&nbsp;[[User:Fandyllic|<span style="border-bottom:1px dotted; cursor:help;" title="Who?">Fandyllic</span>]]<small> ([[User talk:Fandyllic|talk]] &middot; [[Special:Contributions/Fandyllic|contr]])</small> 12 Mar 2012 12:23 PM Pacific 20:23, March 12, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
:::To your first question: It's supposed to work with or without a line feed.
  +
  +
:::As for the second: Now that's puzzling. Sine simply appends four tildes to the text. I kind of assumed that would cover standard signatures as well as custom signatures. You do normally sign your posts with four tildes to load that custom signature of yours, don't you? -- [[User:Pecoes|Pecoes]] 20:31, March 12, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
::::No, I normally use 3 tildes, because I want to do my own time/date stamp. Don't use me as the norm, though. There may be some issue where it doesn't work the first time. The first time I tried it here and on dev, it put undefined. I turned it off for now, but I will test it more after other people give feedback. --&nbsp;[[User:Fandyllic|<span style="border-bottom:1px dotted; cursor:help;" title="Who?">Fandyllic</span>]]<small> ([[User talk:Fandyllic|talk]] &middot; [[Special:Contributions/Fandyllic|contr]])</small> 12 Mar 2012 12:41 PM Pacific
  +
  +
{{Ri}}You can use Firebug to test Sine. From the Firebug console you can add the signature without submitting:
  +
  +
  +
Sine.add();
  +
</source></div>
  +
  +
[[User:Pecoes|Pecoes]] 21:19, March 12, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
::I fixed the bug you reported, Fandyllic. If you were in the source mode and hit "Publish" while the the cursor was in an empty unindented line, it would add "undefined" instead of four tildes. No longer. Thanks for notifying me! :) -- [[User:Pecoes|Pecoes]] 22:02, March 12, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
:::Still not working, and I have no idea how to work Firebug. When I hit Firebug Lite on IE8, it makes a "click" sound and nothing happens. I really don't want to have to install Firefox. (manually signed) [[User:Iggyvolz|Iggyvolz]] 22:29, March 12, 2012 (UTC)
  +
::::How are you using Firebug Lite? I use regular Firebug and I just right-click somewhere on a page and select "Inspect Element". Do you have this option?
  +
::::Are you forced to use IE8? You know it is one of the worst browsers available, right? Can you use Chrome, Firefox, or Safari just to see if the problem is your browser? Remember, IE doesn't implement industry standard Javascript and usually has some funky Microsoft version they call JScript. --&nbsp;[[User:Fandyllic|<span style="border-bottom:1px dotted; cursor:help;" title="Who?">Fandyllic</span>]]<small> ([[User talk:Fandyllic|talk]] &middot; [[Special:Contributions/Fandyllic|contr]])</small> 13 Mar 2012 10:45 AM Pacific
  +
  +
  +
  +
::::<span style="border:3px solid blue; -moz-border-radius:1em;">&nbsp;[[User:Andrew2070|Andrew2070]] ([[w:c:degrassi:User talk:Andrew2070|talk]]) &nbsp;</span> 20:15, March 14, 2012 (UTC)

Latest revision as of 10:01, 7 March 2013

This Forum has been archived
Forums: Admin Central Index Admin Watercooler Testers needed for automated signature!
Central's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4053 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Note: Sine has just been updgraded to the second version. This is a complete rewrite.

Sine automatically appends your signature (four tildes to be precise) to your posts in forums like this one and on talk pages.

To use Sine simply add:

to your global.js.

Should you ever want to not sine a post, simply check "Minor Edit".

And as always with JavaScript changes: Wikia's caching and your web browser's caching may collude to delay the effect. Check the JS Cheatsheet for details.

If you find a bug or have a feature request, post it here or on the Sine talk page, please. -- Pecoes 21:56, March 10, 2012 (UTC)

There is one little problem with testing this gadget: It only becomes active in the very moment that you submit the page. So to see if it works under different circumstances you would have to submit the page again and again and again and again. That's slow. That puts a lot of needless stress on Wikia's servers and that clutters up Special:WikiActivity. But there's a much easier way to test Sine: Go to the Firebug console and type in:

Sine.add()

That will sine your post without actually submitting the page. You can load Sine directly from the console too:

importScriptPage('Sine/code.js', 'dev')

If you do not know what Firebug is or how to use its console, you might want to sit this one out. I do not at all mind giving Firebug support but not in this thread, please! This thread is about testing Sine.

So, it should sign automatically for me? (I haven't signed this post to test if it works)
Have you checked whether that might be a caching issue?

Pecoes 02:59, March 11, 2012 (UTC)

Did both, let's hope this works! (No sign)
Do you happen to be a Firebug user? If so you can quickly test it yourself. Go to Console and type in "appendSine()". If Firebug does offer you to autocomplete the name while you type it, then the Sine has loaded. Otherwise - it's not there yet... -- Pecoes 03:08, March 11, 2012 (UTC)
Right now, Firebug is doing nothing... how do I work it? (Using Firebug Lite stable for IE8) Iggyvolz 03:20, March 11, 2012 (UTC)
How dow you work Firebug? You load this page, hit F12 to open Firebug and then you type "appendSine" into the page-wide input box at the very bottom and hit return. If it tells you that appendSine is a function, then the JS has loaded. If it tells you that appendSine is undefined, then it isn't there yet. -- Pecoes 03:36, March 11, 2012 (UTC)
ADDENDUM: It's no longer "appendSine". It's "Sine.add". Pecoes 21:39, March 12, 2012 (UTC)

Sine testing

You need to put what the autosig looks like at the Sine page on Dev. undefined

Didn't work, it just put "undefined". This makes me think the Javascript got loaded, but it has a bug. Are you supposed to put a linefeed after your post or not?
 Fandyllic (talk · contr) 12 Mar 2012 12:22 PM Pacific 20:22, March 12, 2012 (UTC)
Okay, that time it worked, but since I put my own timestamp in my signature field in preferences, it appended that one also.
 Fandyllic (talk · contr) 12 Mar 2012 12:23 PM Pacific 20:23, March 12, 2012 (UTC)
To your first question: It's supposed to work with or without a line feed.
As for the second: Now that's puzzling. Sine simply appends four tildes to the text. I kind of assumed that would cover standard signatures as well as custom signatures. You do normally sign your posts with four tildes to load that custom signature of yours, don't you? -- Pecoes 20:31, March 12, 2012 (UTC)
No, I normally use 3 tildes, because I want to do my own time/date stamp. Don't use me as the norm, though. There may be some issue where it doesn't work the first time. The first time I tried it here and on dev, it put undefined. I turned it off for now, but I will test it more after other people give feedback. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 12 Mar 2012 12:41 PM Pacific

(Reset indent) You can use Firebug to test Sine. From the Firebug console you can add the signature without submitting:

Sine.add();

Pecoes 21:19, March 12, 2012 (UTC)

I fixed the bug you reported, Fandyllic. If you were in the source mode and hit "Publish" while the the cursor was in an empty unindented line, it would add "undefined" instead of four tildes. No longer. Thanks for notifying me! :) -- Pecoes 22:02, March 12, 2012 (UTC)
Still not working, and I have no idea how to work Firebug. When I hit Firebug Lite on IE8, it makes a "click" sound and nothing happens. I really don't want to have to install Firefox. (manually signed) Iggyvolz 22:29, March 12, 2012 (UTC)
How are you using Firebug Lite? I use regular Firebug and I just right-click somewhere on a page and select "Inspect Element". Do you have this option?
Are you forced to use IE8? You know it is one of the worst browsers available, right? Can you use Chrome, Firefox, or Safari just to see if the problem is your browser? Remember, IE doesn't implement industry standard Javascript and usually has some funky Microsoft version they call JScript. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 13 Mar 2012 10:45 AM Pacific

Andrew2070 (talk)   20:15, March 14, 2012 (UTC)