Community Central
Community Central
Forums: Admin Central Index General Questions Image Licensing options
Central's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4425 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Wikia's Hiding of the licensing option on some of the image upload methods results in most new users failing to add a licenses to images they upload. As i get few contributors as it is I'm reluctant to go down the heavy handed route of deleting all images uploaded with no license & thus chase off contributors, as few IP's respond to posts on talk pages. But would like to make it clear to other users that the images status is not known, without having to manually tag each one myself. (and as Wikia staff editors often fail to add licenses to a lot of images should I bother worrying about it any way) !! I've not had any complaints about image 'thefts' but I think people should be clear if they did not create the image themself & credit the source (though that source may not be the original author either).

What I would like to do is make it so if users dont select a license the {{No license}} template is added by default so they automatically get categorised.

Also based on previous posts (about image licensing) here on central I modified the bottom toolbar upload form to add the information template but it is not integrated with the licensing drop down & the comments input window is rather small for editing (compared to the size of the whole popup box), Can a new version of the upload popup box be created that is used for all the Add photo buttons which has a number of input boxes for the data and defaults to adding {{No license}}.

Does anybody know of any Wikis with suitable ideas for better licensing control and that have a wide variety of images types that are not just operating under Fair-use as most of the gaming wikis do which is easy to manage.

-   BulldozerD11   talk    contribs    email   01:40, March 1, 2012 (UTC)
It would be better if you could just get Wikia to put the choose license option in all their upload methods. Workarounds will always be chasing their upload methods and since they don't ask for admin feedback when adding several features like this (or ignore it), any method is bound to break. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 6 Mar 2012 2:35 PM Pacific
Very True Fandyllic -   BulldozerD11   talk    contribs    email   01:27, March 8, 2012 (UTC)