FANDOM

Welcome Wikicitizens! Please use this Wikicities community portal to ask for help, or to make cross-project announcements. Newest items are at the end.

Sister cities

Greetings Wikicitizens.

At PeaceWiki, we have started a page called Sister Cities that links to other Wikicities that we feel might be of interest to our own citizens.
Please give us a visit and consider doing something similar in your own city.
I realize there is a list of all Wikicities here on the main site but not all of those will be of interest to everyone.
So in the spirit of expanding our separate cities into a larger Metropolis, you may wish to consider linking to some others which have common/similar interests. Please consider including us. ;-)
Simply lift the code, create your own Sister City page and post a link.
We'll all come visit. thanks. -ts-(talk)

Hello, please see my proposal on the peace-wikicity Talk:Sister_Cities, thank you. MattisManzel 19:55, 19 Feb 2005 (GMT)
Greetings Wikicitizens & PeaceWikicitizens.
Sister Cities within Sustainable Community Action Wikicity. Thanks for the example Philralph 10:08, 3 Mar 2005 (GMT)

WikiMac

Fellow Wikicitizens,

WikiMac is developing well, and we'd like to take this chance to invite more people in to help us out on a new Macintosh information community. In response to the proposal by PeaceWiki, we have started linking to other wikis with computing-related content, especially to the Mozilla and Podcasting wikis, as they deal in two topics which are of interest to Mac users.

We, too, will be linking to other wikis as we feel needed. In the meantime, a tiny progress update from WikiMac: Our category pages are getting a face-lift (and main pages which form the title for the category are getting a link to the category too), and we're implementing new templates. What this really means is that for the visitor to WikiMac, things will get a lot easier -- you will be able to browse with much more ease.

Multilinguality is one very important point at WikiMac. As the wiki on Wikicities in the most languages (6: DE, EN, ES, FR, IT and ZH), we have already started on translating many articles. Right now, System Preferences is available in German, French, English and Chinese. Only the main pages and the page on the Macintosh are available in all six languages.

In the meantime we thank the whole community for their support and invite you to visit WikiMac at your earliest convenience.

Thanks, --DavidFeng 17:54, 19 Feb 2005 (GMT)</small>

Wikicities tops the Alexa stats

File:Wikihostsalexagraphfeb05.png

The latest Alexa Statistics show Wikicities has a higher page ranking than many other sites which provide wiki hosting. The recent indexing by Google is probably responsible for our increased ranking.

Login/IP Issues?

I logged in into novelas.wikicities.com and started Novelas:No_hay_Estrellas:Capítulo_2. When I pressed "submit", my login status changed and my name was replaced with 207.142.131.251. I scared, because that shouldn't be my IP unless my ISP changed it, and went to a IP detection site. Well, I still have 80.xx.yy.zz as my ip. So,

• Why did my status change into logged out? It could be just a "time out" issue, since I spent many time in editing).
  • Why did my reported ip change from change 80.xx.yy.zz into 207.142.131.251? It's weird! Do you have some kinda proxy? or maybe someone is sniffing you?

Yours, --Jmoysae 13:45, 17 Mar 2005 (EST)

207.142.131.251 is the IP address of one of our servers. The site was recording that instead of the IP that forwarded you here. This has now been fixed. Angela 21:20, 18 Mar 2005 (EST)

Los Angeles wikicity

Some of the statistics at LosAngeles:Special:Statistics are broken and not displaying any numbers. this also caused {{NUMBEROFARTICLES}} to display as -1 ... http://losangeles.wikicities.com/ -- AlexTheMartian | Talk 18:55, 23 Mar 2005 (EST)

This is a known bug which is also affecting conworld and others. You might find the WikiStats more reliable than the Special:Statistics page. Angela 00:51, 24 Mar 2005 (EST)
ehh, I kind of wanted to display the number of articles on the main page like wikipedia does, but oh well. Will this ever be fixed? -- AlexTheMartian | Talk 11:48, 24 Mar 2005 (EST)
Hmm... This used to be broken on the Calgary: wiki, but it now works. -- JamesTeterenko 23:38, 24 Mar 2005 (EST)

whose/who's counting?

re: http://www.bloglines.com/blog/Wikicities?id=66
that's the beauty of stats, isn't it?
you can manipulate them any way you wish to prove anything you want to prove.
and here i thought it wasn't a contest. duh! ;) lol
-ts-(talk) 08:34, 27 Mar 2005 (EST)

How foolish of you! Everybody knows stats are for beating people with - especially two-week-old stats . . .
I do like the way I can manipulate those to show that Creatures Wiki is a wiki that people actually stay on (high pageview count per visit) while Mozilla just has lots of people who run away after they see the scary community-chosen logo. ;-)
The fact that we all get over 100 uniques a day is a comforting thought.--GreenReaper(talk) 11:52, 29 Mar 2005 (EST)
And now I'm wondering about how many redirects you have on that site.  ;-)
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." --Benjamin Disraeli
(Other Wikiquote:Statistics.)
Yes, those redirects are fun, especially when you put them redirecting in a circle. We have a special javascript that opens boring pages in a hidden frame to boost our count. We also have several pages on mundane items like cheese, carrots and cookies, because everyone likes clicking on them.
Also many of our pages have only one paragraph and then you have to click on an arrow to go to the next paragraph, just to show more ads and boost our stats! --GreenReaper(talk) 12:12, 29 Mar 2005 (EST)

Common login problems

While I'm quite happy that the common login, that is having only one login to all Wikicities, is the right way to go, it does raise some issues.

Firstly, there's the problem that you have a separate talk page on every Wikicity! This I've already raised elsewhere; The latest discussion is on my talk page here but perhaps here is a better place for it.

Secondly, some of the special pages don't work as I think they should. For example, if I list the users of any Wikicity, I get all users of all Wikicities.

Question: How should these pages work?

Question: Are there other related questions?

Comments? Andrewa 15:24, 1 Apr 2005 (EST)

Several of us have handled this by selecting the Wikicity where we prefer to get messages and putting a note on the others where we participate with a link to the preferred talk page. Others have used a hard redirect (not recommended). I haven't done this very well, so I don't have a good example, but some other users have good examples. Hope that helps!
(After I posted, I saw that it looks like you've already got this started.) Until there's a technical solution, I think the best way to do it is with requests and links to the preferred user and talk pages.)--CocoaZen 16:06, 1 Apr 2005 (EST)
Thanks for the suggestion. That's certainly a workaround for the user talk page issue, and as you say I have this in place.
I have seen at least one user get quite confused by having one set of user and user talk pages in the Wikicity he was using, and a second set in Wikicities itself. As he'd only created one logon id, this took him by surprise. [http://www.morerebates.com/Home_Shopping_Network_-_HSN.html:the use of HSN
Can anyone suggest a workaround to the Special:listuser issue? Andrewa 03:32, 2 Apr 2005 (EST)
Why is a hard redirect not recommended? Zach 20:13, 11 Apr 2005 (EDT)
It's confusing to be taken to a different wiki when you might not notice you're on a different wiki. The feature could be disabled in future (I thought it already had been but it was working on starwars: today. It's already disabled on Wikipedia. People expect blue links to be internal ones, so shouldn't be taken off the wiki when they click one. Angela 23:15, 11 Apr 2005 (EDT)
Plus, it's a lot easier to set one up than it is to then change it back if you change your mind. Or that's the way it used to work on Wikipedia before they (rightfully IMO) disabled it. Andrewa 06:24, 13 Apr 2005 (EDT)

Novelas/Fiction

Is there any way to make the Fiction wikicity show up as "Fiction" or maybe "Novelas/Fiction" in the WikiCity category pages such as Category:Literature? JWSchmidt 14:11, 4 Apr 2005 (EDT)

You used to be able to add a category to a redirect, but that no longer has any effect, so you can't do this without actually moving the page. I added fiction as a see also on the category page instead. Angela 15:03, 4 Apr 2005 (EDT)

WikiStats

WikiStats seems to be broken (404). Any info on this? Bloodshedder 03:03, 25 Apr 2005 (UTC)

Hmm. Not sure what the intention is here, but try this for now? Last run on the 19th . . . --GreenReaper(talk) 03:14, 25 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Temporarily at http://www.wikicities.com/nustats/WWW/Sitemap.htm as well. Please don't link to that URL since it's not permanent. Angela 20:55, 25 Apr 2005 (UTC)

Spam

Has everybody been getting nailed with spam this past week? It seems like we've had several pages under constant attack lately. Gens1s 03:19, 25 Apr 2005 (UTC)

Please report the URLs at talk:Spam Blacklist so they can be blocked across all wikis (assuming this feature is working now). Angela 20:55, 25 Apr 2005 (UTC)
It's working, it was successfully blocking a legitimate url over on Mozilla. Of course, it was a dated url, so we changed it (it was a frameset...). --Tom talk/Bliki 21:02, 25 Apr 2005 (UTC)

Changing wikicity title & project namespace

Is there a way of changing the tile and project namespace for a Wikicity? Currently these are both "Calgary Community" for the Calgary wiki. I would much prefer a title of "Calgary Wiki" and a project namespace of "Calgary". -- JamesTeterenko 23:40, 27 Apr 2005 (UTC)

Wikiquiz forms for Wikicities

Wikiquiz is a proposed extension for MediaWiki. It was originally proposed as an e-learning tool for projects like Wikiversity. I would like to use a PHP quiz form as part of the Real Life Soap wikicity. I think getting a quiz form to work at Wikicities should be fairly simple. It would probably involve uploading a QuizForm.php file and including that file as an extension from within the LocalSettings.php file: -include("extensions/QuizForm.php")- and there would probably have to be some SQL database initialization for storing the data that would be collected by the quiz form. Is such an extension of the MediaWiki software for Wikicities something that we could do or are we stuck with the basic MediaWiki software? JWSchmidt 20:43, 28 Apr 2005 (UTC)

Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.