FANDOM

This Forum has been archived

Visit the new Forums
Forums: Index Community Central Forum Oasis - Fallout's Portal pages have no sidebar, how?
FANDOM's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.

50px-Replacement filing cabinet.svg

Note: This topic has been unedited for 3548 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

While lurking on various Wiki's for some good examples of portal pages I ran into the Fallout Wiki and noticed that its Portal pages don't have a sidebar, but mine does. How can I get rid of it? ---Zantam03 (Talk) 12:56, October 16, 2010 (UTC)

Anyone? ---Zantam03 (Talk) 08:52, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
I just read on one of their forum pages that Fallout Wiki has the new Oasis look: See:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Wikia%27s_New_Look --Timeshifter 09:21, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
Yes I know, that's why I put 'Oasis' in the title ---Zantam03 (Talk) 09:24, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
Never mind, I have an answer. At Fallout Wiki I've been told you have to request it via Special:Contact. ---Zantam03 (Talk) 09:38, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

(Unindent). Check this out also. Log out. Then open up all these pages side by side:

Of the 3 wikis only the Red Dead Wiki currently has Oasis as the default skin for unregistered or logged-out users. See also:

Log in, and make sure the Oasis new look is selected in the skin tab in your preferences. Reload the 3 pages, and you can see Oasis on all 3 wikis. There are then no sidebars on the Main Page, nor on portal pages. --Timeshifter 09:47, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

Timeshifter, I don't use Monaco anymore. I only use Oasis and when I check my portals I still see the sidebar. I don't understand how you can not see it because I haven't requested it to be removed. ---Zantam03 (Talk) 09:51, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
Did you log out, and reload the page? Your wiki still has Monaco as the default skin. Maybe you need to clear your browser cache after logging out. Click Ctrl-F5 in Firefox after logging out.
In a couple days it won't matter. On October 20 all wikis will have Oasis as the default skin for unregistered or logged-out users. See the timeline here:
User blog:Sannse/Important Updates on Wikia’s New Look --Timeshifter 09:58, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
I think you're missing my point a little ---Zantam03 (Talk) 09:59, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
I think you are missing mine also. :) --Timeshifter 10:01, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
But yours is not relevant to my question. :) ---Zantam03 (Talk) 10:02, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
Think again. :) --Timeshifter 10:33, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

The only correct answer to my question was to contact Wiki through Special:Contact. Since you did not provide me with this answer but instead forwarded me to main pages, portals that already had the sidebar removed thanks to Special:Contact and irrelevant blog-posts I don't see a reason to think again and find a way to assume you're not missing the point. :-) ---Zantam03 (Talk) 11:47, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

Ah I know what you mean. You should've given me this link instead of a link to its Main Page ;-) But perhaps Red Dead Wiki has also requested the sidebar to be removed via Special:Contact ---Zantam03 (Talk) 11:52, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
Keep thinking. You'll get it. --Timeshifter 13:22, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
Nah, thanks ---Zantam03 (Talk) 13:25, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
Zantam30, he's just trying to piss you off. The answer you assume is correct. Assuming RDW hasn't requested it, it will be default for portals to have no sidebar soon (20-10), which is basically what you said in your previous post. --JohnyboyX 13:49, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
Yes that's what I assumed after seeing RDW had a Portal without sidebar, thanks. Good to know we have a full page available for Portals. ---Zantam03 (Talk) 13:53, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
Zantam03 wrote: "perhaps Red Dead Wiki has also requested the sidebar to be removed via Special:Contact" and "irrelevant blog-posts". Ignorance is bliss. Red Dead Wiki was a beta test wiki for the Oasis skin. See the blog post I so irrelevantly linked to. --Timeshifter 14:18, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
If you consider me so blissfully ignorant then just give me a proper answer because that's what this forum is for right? I asked how come Fallout Wiki has no sidebar. The answer the people from Fallout Wiki gave me, was to contact Wiki. That's how they got it removed. Not because they use Oasis just like I do. Isn't that what you assumed in your first reply?
And why read through those blog-posts again? I've read them before. Did it contain information on Portals? No. It said all users will see the new look on every wiki on 20 October. In my previous post I said what I assumed after seeing RDW's portal. You could've just said it was true. If I had a question about God would you have forwarded me to the bible? ---Zantam03 (Talk) 14:35, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

Oh well... anyway, I think you just could've said "Oasis will have Portal pages without sidebars" instead of forwarding to a large article on Fallout Wiki where all they're doing is having a poll about Oasis and later link me to blog-posts. You never answered my question directly. Besides, I'm having a long day (over 9hours) at campus and don't even wanna read through all those links again. ---Zantam03 (Talk) 14:52, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

OK. I understand. Get some sleep. I do a lot better when I am fresh. You might too. We can work on this tomorrow if you want. --Timeshifter 15:09, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

Their Portal pages don't have the RAIL because it is a "Custom namespace" whereas your Portal page is just a page. The RAIL doesn't exist on Custom Namespace pages "yet", and the staff hasn't said anything about it or maybe they don't know.--Sxerks 18:25, October 18, 2010 (UTC)

lol, well that's what they told me on Fallout Wiki. Thanks for the reply. ---Zantam03 (Talk) 18:36, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
Thanks Sxerks. --Timeshifter 21:22, October 18, 2010 (UTC)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.