Community Central
Community Central
This Forum has been archived
Forums: Admin Central Index General Questions Turning Viewers Into Editors
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.

The biggest thing I've ever noticed in Songpedia is the number of viewers compared to editors, Songpedia gets thousands of views regularly each week, but I pretty much hate the lack of editors. Songpedia has 20 and more editors, I have to go beyond that number if I want to improve content. Since thousands of people regularly view Songpedia each week anyways, how can most of them be editors as well? If reading is the heart of the wiki, then editing most likely is the back bone, since no one can stand an move without a back bone, then same to editing if it's a wiki. I hate it that SP gets only 1 - 4 new editors every 3 weeks or so. I need people's advice to turn those 1800 viewers into 1800 editors. Also other than that problem is generally older users getting more bored until they stop editing, the thing I know is that if a few people work on a project, then the only people who works on the project will eventually get board and quit. I need help!

--.Nobody Cares .TalkContribs. 13:17, August 5, 2011 (UTC)

You will never turn a large percentage of viewers into editors. It's a sad fact. You need to encourage the ones that do edit to edit more and make editing easier with boilerplates, templates, tutorials, etc. Communicate frequently with your regular editors. Try to groom admins who are enthusiatic about your wiki and discuss recruiting ideas with them.
Try to encourage viewers who don't contribute directly to ask questions, so they will get more comfortable with using the editor in whatever way they are comfortable. Take comfort in a wiki that is growing, even if slower than you'd like. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 5 Aug 2011 11:05 PM Pacific
Fandyllic, that is helpful, but I already have those things for a long time and yet, I still can't get more editors. I still need help!
--.Nobody Cares .TalkContribs. 06:17, August 6, 2011 (UTC)
Well, part of the problem is you're semi-competing with Lyric Wiki and that's a battle you will lose as long as both your wikis are on Wikia. You may be very attached to Songpedia in its current state, but it may have to change alot to have an opportunity to grow. Have you asked any of your active editors for ideas about getting more editors? What do they say? Saying you're "doing all those things" is more believable if you give some evidence. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 6 Aug 2011 10:32 AM Pacific

(reset indent) Here are my replies -

• I don't think Songpedia is competing with LyricWiki at all, I mean even if we were, then it would be pointless. Try comparing this and this - After, try comparing this with this and tell me what's the difference!
  • Oh the evidences?
    • Try creating an article on Songpedia
    • Try checking out w:c:song:Help:Songs
    • Try looking at talk pages of some regular editors
    • Try looking at this.
  • Oh and yeah, I'll try to ask Finchelfanno1 or Redligot2009 for ideas about getting more editors.

I'm really confused, I don't really think there is any direct rivalry with Songpedia or LyricWiki...
--.Nobody Cares .TalkContribs. 05:21, August 7, 2011 (UTC)

Arguing with me about whether Songpedia competes with Lyric Wiki or not does not help your wiki. I also said "semi-competing", but you apparently read that as "directly competing" somehow. Maybe you should try to recruit editors from Lyric Wiki with the elements you think Songpedia does better or is more in line with what they might want to do?
Personally, I think Songpedia does a better job presenting alot of things than Lyric Wiki, but "Songpedia" really is too limiting a name for your wiki. It really isn't just about songs, it's about music that happens to be focused on lyrical songs. Music Wiki exists, but it is kind of sad and has bunches of errors and a really random assortment of pages. Maybe you could adopt it and make it better. I'm pretty sure it's largely abandoned. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 7 Aug 2011 12:07 AM Pacific
Ok Fandyllic, your right about arguing but - How could adopting Music Wiki improve Songpedia? Getting the name? About recruiting editors from LyricWiki, how do I do it without spamming anyways, I already affiliated with them...
--.Nobody Cares .TalkContribs. 07:19, August 7, 2011 (UTC)
About NC's question...A large no. of "wiki-readers" on OP wiki got attracted to the fictional blogs on that wiki and that's how we have a large no. of user group(myself included)..IDK if that helps Songpedia in anyway,but might be useful to other wikis:)Roranoa zoro Talk|||07:24,8/7/2011
Roranoa, thanks but I was asking for editors, not viewers, I think Songpedia's large no. of viewers is enough, but it needs editors too.
--.Nobody Cares .TalkContribs. 07:27, August 7, 2011 (UTC)
NobodyCares, although you certainly are not new nor is Songpedia-- we recently reorged the forum here at F/A. One of the sections is Getting Started -- and it's intended for users to go and ask for active help around their wiki. Asking for more editors is one of the ideas we had in mind when we created it. So again, although Songpedia is not actually 'getting started' it might be helpful in what you you are asking for here. --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 08:00, August 7, 2011 (UTC)
So should I or you tag it? P.S. I still have questions that aren't answered yet.
--.Nobody Cares .TalkContribs. 08:15, August 7, 2011 (UTC)
@NC...regarding my posts,I meant that most of those "readers" converted to editors through those blogs:)--Roranoa zoro Talk|||08:18,8/7/2011
Ok, Roranoa - I get what you mean, but Songpedia isn't One Piece Wiki. The reason why blogs works for that wiki is because that is a TV Show wiki, Songpedia isn't about some TV Show - If you check pretty much most of the blogs in Songpedia - You will notice that some of them can be fun - but it doesn't get as much attention as much as it might do in a TV Show wiki - most of these blogs get like only two users commenting on them - most of the other editors on Songpedia hasn't even made a single blog, that is because we are more focused on content - Have you ever seen a blog there that has reached one hundred comments? No right?
--.Nobody Cares .TalkContribs. 08:25, August 7, 2011 (UTC)
@NC, you can leave this thread here. It's the right place for it. I was more suggesting that if you want -- you could start up a seperate thread there asking for more editors. ;) Does that make sense? --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 08:27, August 7, 2011 (UTC)

(reset indent)

Ok Meighan I get it - But we are clearly going off the topic - Let's get back to getting more editors from viewers - I need tips - Oh where was Fandyllic - I was getting into a good conversation with him here...
--.Nobody Cares .TalkContribs. 08:48, August 7, 2011 (UTC)
Sounds good to me! Go on about your business. ;) --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 09:00, August 7, 2011 (UTC)
The Admin Getting Started forum has Admin Forum:How can I get more editors on my wiki which could be added to, I suppose.
As for adopting Music wiki, you could either take it over, merge content to Songpedia and have music.wikia.com redirect to songpedia.wikia.com or do the reverse. I think music.wikia.com is more likely to grow due to its straightforward subdomain, but Songpedia could become a brand in itself. I noticed via Google that musicpedia or variations are used by many sites, so that would probably get lost in the noise. The site musicpedia.wikia.com exists, but it only has 6 pages and is also ripe for adoption.
You don't have to switch wikis or adopt or anything. I'm just bouncing a variety of ideas around. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 8 Aug 2011 2:43 PM Pacific
What should I name it?
--.Nobody Cares .TalkContribs. 13:32, August 9, 2011 (UTC)
What is "it"? I said a few different things, so I'm not sure what you're referring to now. If it is for a good general wiki name, maybe you could just use "Music and Songpedia". You could have music.wikia.com and songpedia.wikia.com point to a wiki with that wiki name. That way it would keep your old name, but include music in a more general sense. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 10 Aug 2011 9:16 PM Pacific
The name I was refering to with "it"
--.Nobody Cares .TalkContribs. 10:53, August 11, 2011 (UTC)
God, I hope The Dark Tower Wiki gets to the point where I can complain about only having 20 editors and only gaining 1-4 editors every 3 weeks. I'd focus less on getting new editors and more on using the editors you have more efficiently. Organize some projects where you work on specific areas that you want to improve (if you use Achievements, custom badges would work nicely here).
--Rolliemoon "I will show you fear in a handful of dust" -T.S. Eliot 04:31, September 16, 2011 (UTC)