Okay, so, as far as I know, the general consensus is that the upcoming feature for Wikia, Discussions, sucks. Most users I saw in the comment section of the announcement blog showed discontent for the said upcoming feature, and the basic reasons I've seen are, more or less;
- Replacing a perfectly fine feature in favor for a pitiful attempt to be Twitter and Miiverse's love child. (THIS IS THE MOST PROMINENT REASON THAT I'VE SEEN BY THE WAY)
- And Wikia saying they are forcing it into most of the popular wikias without actually saying they are, giving the general public practically NO SAY in the entire damn matter.
- Making an entirely new feature just for people using mobile, rather than making expansions to the existing forums to make them mobile-friendly.
- Apparently the function itself has its own problems, coming from someone who got to use the function)
- It's more proof that wikia is more interested in Fandom and mobile than actual functionality for the non-mobile users.
I understand if I sound repetitive or whiny, but I'm getting these from actual comments from the announcement blog (can be found here) and, from the general public, it seems like not too many people like this. Which is why I made this petition, which, like I said, could seem whiny, or over-reactive, but hear me out.
The petition I'm making is for all and any wikia users that can sign. This petition isn't necessarily asking to completely scrap the Discussions function altogether, but I'm asking for one of three possible outcomes.
- Wikia keeps forums and adds Discussions as a Fandom-based thing instead of fully replacing the forums—a perfectly okay function with lots of importance in some communities—altogether.
- Improve Discussions to give it more functionality (adding wikitext, removing blocked user reporting, etc) or make it so that it at least isn't bootleg Twitter/Reddit/Miiverse.
- Or just scrap Discussions altogether.
So, if you are a wikia user who does not support Discussions, but does support one of the three points I made, than please sign your username in the thread below. It's about time someone from Wikia actually paid attention to what the general public wants.
Signers: 361 users.